Tucker-Johnson Shelter AT/LT Vermont Photo 2003

mirabela
03-10-2011, 22:51
Tucker Johnson shelter burned down last week. :(

Pioneer Spirit
03-10-2011, 22:58
<H1 style="FONT-SIZE: 15px">U.S. Forest Service Investigates Fire

Thursday, 03/03/11 5:50pm and Friday, 03/04/11 6:06am
Nina Keck (http://www.whiteblaze.net/bio/74/) - Rutland, Vt.

(Host) The U.S. Forest Service is investigating a fire that destroyed a hiking shelter on the Long Trail about a mile from Sherburne Pass in Rutland County.
The Tucker-Johnson Shelter is a lean-to structure near the intersection of the Long Trail and the Appalachian Trail in Mendon.
Forest Service officials say it burned down Wednesday.
Forest Service officials wouldn't say how they found out about the fire or if they have any leads. They say the investigation is ongoing and anyone with leads should call the US Forest service.
Patty McGrath owns the Inn at Long Trail with her husband Murray. The inn is a popular stopping place for hikers and she says the shelter is located in a heavily traveled area.
(McGrath) "We're just both really disappointed - hopefully it's an accident - but that anyone would be so inconsiderate and foolish to have a fire there that they didn't keep under control."
(Host) The Tucker-Johnson shelter was built in 1969. Forest officials say replacing it will be difficult.

</H1>
News article

Montana Mac
03-10-2011, 23:20
Sad to hear that - stayed in it in 09 on my thru attempt :(

Papa D
03-11-2011, 08:16
oh - that's sad - I didn't stay there last year (went to Rolston Rest) but i like the old style shelters