PDA

View Full Version : Parking in Bland or Pearisburg

CentralVaAt
05-06-2013, 09:14
I'm planning a hike from Bland to Pearisburg towards the end of next week through the weekend. The plan is to get dropped off in Bland and hike back to a car that was left in Pearisburg. Last summer, I left a car at the motel right of the trail in Pearisburg...is that still an option since the motel burned down? If so, who do I contact, and if not, what are the other options? Also, if I can't get dropped off and have to leave a second car in Bland, what is the parking like there? I have never been to that trailhead.

Also, one more related question. We plan on hiking north and staying at the Wapiti Shelter on night 2. After looking at the profile map, there sems to be a steep climb north of the shelter. If we were to go ahead a push on during day 2 to get the climb out of the way. Are there any camping spots a couple of miles north of the shelter? Thanks, any feedback is appreciated! :)

The Old Chief
05-06-2013, 10:14
I would stay at Wapiti Shelter on night 2 and do the climb on fresh legs the next morning. There are nice tent sites at Wapiti, plus water. Water is scarce for the next several miles North. Contact a shuttle driver from Pearisburg and I'm sure they can answer your parking questions.

CentralVaAt
05-06-2013, 11:12
Thanks for the Wapiti Shelter info! I'm thinking about doing the climb at the end of the day just because I like to get the hard stuff out of the way, plus, it usually takes me a few miles to get going in the morning. Might do dinner at the shelter, fill up with water, and then carry on if we're feeling good.

Hops53
05-06-2013, 12:40
We are planning the same hike this weekend - maybe we'll run into each other. We were wondering about the parking and also campsites after Wapiti also.

ratfaceraines
05-06-2013, 13:37
if you need shuttling---feel free to call don at 540-921-7433(RIDE)[out of pearisburg]