PDA

View Full Version : Piute Pass and Humphreys Basin

Coffee
05-06-2013, 20:18
I'm looking for suggestions from anyone who has taken the Piute Pass side trip off the JMT into the Humphreys Basin area. In preparation for my JMT thru hike starting in late August, I'm doing the North Lake to South Lake loop in mid July. I want to see how I do at higher elevations plus this loop gives me a chance to see the Humphreys Basin and Dusy Basin, areas that I won't see on the JMT thru hike itself.

So my question is regarding where I should plan to camp after going over Piute Pass starting from North Lake trailhead. I have the Harrison North Lake-South Lake loop map and it looks like there are many lakes in the basin. Are any particularly nice for camping? In terms of mileage, I think that I could easily push on to Hutchinson Meadow for the first night but I am in no hurry since I will have at least four if not five nights to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. If anyone has ideas on places to camp in the Humphreys Basin, that would be great.

Malto
05-06-2013, 20:40
There are plenty of places to camp, take you pick. You may want to consider getting Steve Roper's book "Sierra High Route, Traversing Timberline Country". This will allow you some get combination on trail/off trail routes that gets you in country that is as remote as you can get. Great to combine with trail for more mileage options.
Humphreys Basin
Mt Humphreys
Puppet pass on the SHR

Coffee
05-06-2013, 21:48
There are plenty of places to camp, take you pick. You may want to consider getting Steve Roper's book "Sierra High Route, Traversing Timberline Country". This will allow you some get combination on trail/off trail routes that gets you in country that is as remote as you can get. Great to combine with trail for more mileage options.

Thanks, I will order the book.

I don't consider myself experienced enough to venture too far off the beaten path but from what I've read, this basin has a lot of lakes within view of the main trail with easy and obvious cross country routes. Great photos! Thanks.

Dogwood
05-06-2013, 23:17
I'm looking for suggestions from anyone who has taken the Piute Pass side trip off the JMT into the Humphreys Basin area. In preparation for my JMT thru hike starting in late August, I'm doing the North Lake to South Lake loop in mid July. I want to see how I do at higher elevations plus this loop gives me a chance to see the Humphreys Basin and Dusy Basin, areas that I won't see on the JMT thru hike itself.

So my question is regarding where I should plan to camp after going over Piute Pass starting from North Lake trailhead. I have the Harrison North Lake-South Lake loop map and it looks like there are many lakes in the basin. Are any particularly nice for camping? In terms of mileage, I think that I could easily push on to Hutchinson Meadow for the first night but I am in no hurry since I will have at least four if not five nights to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. If anyone has ideas on places to camp in the Humphreys Basin, that would be great.

I have not specifically done the North Lake to South Lake Loop by itself but I've done all the parts of the about 70 mile North/South Lake Loop as small parts of longer hikes when thru-hiking the JMT(3X) and the SHR(once) or on other treks in the Sierras. In addition I've hiked in from or out of both the North and South Lakes THs several times for resupplies. I've only gone over Paiute Pass twice though. The SHR with a little off SHR non technical peakbagging are my favorite things to do in the Sierras. The JMT in summer can be too busy for my tastes when I want a more adventurous off the beaten path type trek.

Indeed, as Malto stated the SHR goes through both Humphreys Basin over Puppet Pass(one of the easier passes on the SHR IMO) and Paiute Pass(not too hard) and through Dusy Basin. The North/South Lake Loop also goes over Muir and Bishop Passes. If I recall correctly the SHR basically goes through Upper Dusy basin. Dusy Basin is one of my favorite places in the Sierras because NO CAMPING is in effect here. There is open camping in Humphreys Basin. Pick a tarn, lake, some trees, and ouila; there you camp. On your loop you might think of camping at Paiute Lake/Paiute Canyon/Paiute Crk(Hutchinson Meadow), Humphreys Basin(several tarn and/or lakes in Humphreys you camn camp at), Evolution Valley/Meadow, and the Bishop/Tyee Lakes area. You'll find some(MAMY?) established camp sites but this is really open area type camping. You really don't need an established campsite to camp. Besides even if I did pin pt exact campsites I know of that would take away from the adventure.

BTW, IMO, even though MOST JMT thru-hikers don't resupply via Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin or Paiute Pass/Humphreys Basin these are potential resupply options when thru-hiking the JMT. Personally, I NEVER hike the Sierras with a stop watch! I ALWAYS ALLOW time for side trips. That's how I know of and have used ALL the potential hike out/hike back in resupply options that I've seen mentioned for the JMT.

Since I note you are from VA Rambling Hiker and are probably VERY FAMILIAR with AT type hiking here's a word of advice - DO NOT try to make the JMT or your North/South Lake Loop into a hike by the blazes or an AT type hike or a hike where EVERYTHING needs to be planned for in excruciating detail. These are hikes where it's time to live up to your trail name - Ramble a bit! Take more of a hike with the flow attitude in the Sierras. Take a compass and detailed maps and let the healing begin! The Sierras are a place of great wonder and breathtaking scenery and wildlife. Embrace it!

Some other thoughts. While Steve Roper describes the SHR very well(He ought to. The route is of his design!) his SHR book doesn't provide a great amount of specific campsite detail. The North/South Lakes Loop is described in at least two Sierra Hiking Books I know of so If you can't find Roper's SHR book other books will do fine that describe this loop. These other books MAY have greater detail specifically concerning this loop. I'm not home right now with my hiking books or trail journals or I could provide greater assistance. Sounds like you'll do fine though. Enjoy the Sierras. That is a great trek from North to South Lake.

Here are some good triop reports and beta for the N/S Lakes Loop:
http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6758
http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/national/brochure/12133a.aspx
http://www.summitpost.org/south-lake-north-lake-loop/812676

Coffee
05-07-2013, 08:54
Thanks for all the great information - very helpful!

Coffee
05-07-2013, 14:52
In kpeter's account of his trip on highsierratopix (linked from Dogwood's post above), he writes about how he did a full loop without shuttles by parking at South Lake and then spending his first day hiking up from the Tyee Lakes trailhead, camping at the 4th lake, and then proceeding the next day to Lake Sabrina followed by a short road walk to North Lakes and the Piute Pass trailhead.

This sounds potentially appealing to me. Right now I have two nights reserved at Four Jeffrey campground which is near the junction of 168 and South lakes road. I don't want to pay the $120 rate quoted for a shuttle and I'm new to hitch hiking so my current plan is to spend my first night at Four Jeffrey, drive up to S. Lake the next morning and spend some time on the lake in a boat rental, leave my rental car at the S. Lake trailhead and jog/run back down the 6 miles to Four Jeffrey in the afternoon or evening if I have trouble hitching. Then, the next morning, I would walk from Four Jeffrey to 168 and try my luck hitching to N. Lake and if I have trouble, the plan is to just road walk the roughly six miles.

kpeter's plan could be better in that I would have one additional day in the backcountry at lakes that are apparently not that crowded. I think that this would require an additional wilderness permit but Tyee Lakes permits seem to be pretty open.

Has anyone else done the Tyee Lakes to Sabrina to N. Lake via road walk and would recommend it or is my current plan better? Thanks.

Dogwood
05-07-2013, 20:51
Sierra South: Backcountry Trips in California's Sierra Nevada Guide Book by Kathy Morey & Mike White with Stacy Corless, Analise Elliot, Chris Tirrell & Thomas Winnett (Wilderness Press)

http://cdn-www.trails.com/images/bookimages/HGS018.jpg

This book has lots of great Sierra hikes including GOOD beta about the N/S Lakes Loop.

That's not a hard hitch between the THs. It's on paved roads and though it MIGHT be a two part hitch these roads DO SEE traffic. South lakes Rd and Hwy 168 sees a fair amount of traffic especially on weekends. At South Lake you have folks not only going to the Tyee Lakes/Bishop Pass TH(busy TH) but right down the road is the South Lake Marina(fishing and boating is big at S. Lake) and Parchers Resort so folks head there too.There are also homes just below Parchers Resort. Parchers holds hiker packages for guests but may be persuaded to hold a package even if you aren't staying there. They have cabins, rooms, and a common(like a bunkhouse) sleeping area(this option is the most economical). Parchers serves up some very good meals too. I would inquire directly from Parchers Resort if you plan to use their services. On the road to the Tyee Lakes/Bishop Pass TH there is a small grocery/fishing store with perhaps a few days trail chow. The place looks like a cabin. North Lake/Sabrina Lake is a weekend hotspot for bathers, boaters, partyers, weekend car campers, fishermen, etc.

Mammoth Lakes and Bishop are my two favorite trail towns in this area of the Sierras. I have ALWAYS hitched into Bishop and back out to this area with little hassle or fanfare. Personally, I wouldn't pay $120 for a shuttle but I'm a patient person and am great at yogiing rides.

I've NEVER heard of anyone having ANY issue with leaving a car at the S. Lake/Tyee Lake/Bishop Pass THs. I've always seen stock trailers parked there overnight. This is a busy TH.

I've never stayed at Four Jeffrey CG but have driven through it. Score a campsite near the creek/river with some shade. There are some SHWEET fishing spots in and near this campground. You do know that Four Jeffreys CG IS NOT FAR at all from your THs?

UGGH, now, I feel the Sierras calling. I totally get it when Muir said, "the mountains are calling and I MUST GO." I feel the need to thru the SHR.

Dantolz
05-15-2013, 15:38
I left my rental truck in the South Lake TH for a week w/out a problem but I was surprised to see that the TH was just about full when I got there on Saturday in the middle of September. If I'd been 30 minutes later I wouldn't of had a place to park.