PDA

View Full Version : Parking in Delaware Water Gap

Road runner
05-07-2013, 10:36
The Kittatinny Point Visitors Center is closed and they will not allow parking. Does anyone have suggestions for other parking options? I need a place to park for 5 days in June.

chall
05-07-2013, 12:15
The Kittatinny Point Visitors Center is closed and they will not allow parking. Does anyone have suggestions for other parking options? I need a place to park for 5 days in June.

Have you called and confirmed this? On the National Park Service website, it says the Kittatinny is open daily in the summer. There is a Park Alert for Kittatinny, but it is only in reference to the boat launch being closed.

I do a canoe trip every August, and this is where we park our cars to canoe back to. If the parking is truly not an option, try calling The Pack Shack (88 Broad S., Delaware Water Gap, PA 18327, 570-424-8533). They are a canoe rental/outfitter store that is 1.7 miles from Kittatinny Point. We utilize their shuttle services for our trip, and they have a fairly decent sized parking lot. You may be able to work something out with them, and even get a shuttle from your car to Kittatinny. Hope this helps.

Angle
05-07-2013, 12:39
I had checked a few weeks ago and it was my understanding also that there is no parking at the visitor center, but that the lot .4 of a mile north is still open for overnight parking. If hiking Sobo there is a parking lot 1.5 miles south.

Iceman

chall
05-07-2013, 12:49
"Milford Beach, including the beach, picnic area, boat launch, canoe access, parking lot, and the trailhead for the McDade Recreational Trail and Kittatinny Point Visitor Center and grounds, including the picnic area, canoe access, restrooms, and parking lot will be closed due to sequestration-related budget cuts"

You're both right. This was from a news release from 4/2/2013. This is unfortunate.

snorz
05-07-2013, 12:58
You could call the Edge of the Woods outfitter. There is parking near trailhead south of Antlers Inn.

rocketsocks
05-07-2013, 13:30
There's also parking on the PA side....Lenape lake parking area, bout 3/4 of a mile from the bridge. I/We parked here for 4 days and had no troubles...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=40.979811,+-75.142053&daddr=40.9821+-75.1377&geocode=FWNNcQIdW2yF-w%3BFVRWcQIdXH2F-w&hl=en&mra=cc&dirflg=w&sll=40.982348,-75.139773&sspn=0.002875,0.004726&ie=UTF8&ll=40.982069,-75.14009&spn=0.005751,0.009452&t=h&z=17

http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

Rain Man
05-08-2013, 16:16
There's also parking on the PA side....Lenape lake parking area, bout 3/4 of a mile from the bridge. I parked here for 4 days and had no troubles...]

For those who ascribe to the adage that a picture is worth a thousand words ... or is it, ten thousand?! :D This is the parking lot of which RS speaks.

Rain:sunMan

rustmd
05-08-2013, 19:55
bummer. . .i too am looking for parking at Del.Water Gap in June. . .hmmmm. . .is it safe do you know? thanks for the suggestions, RS and RM.

.com

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 20:31
For those who ascribe to the adage that a picture is worth a thousand words ... or is it, ten thousand?! :D This is the parking lot of which RS speaks.

Rain:sunMan

What a sight that was Rain:sunMan, to round the bend and see the chariots waiting...we were ready for some sit down time as our doggies were barkin...twas a great hike! and yes it is nice to see your vehiclke at hikes end with no vandalism....priceless!

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 20:36
bummer. . .i too am looking for parking at Del.Water Gap in June. . .hmmmm. . .is it safe do you know? thanks for the suggestions, RS and RM.

.comooh sorry didn't see your post. Well we came out ok, and the links above say it's been historically good, and that's what i based my decision on....so for what it's worth...there it is...but as always when school lets out anywhere in the Country seems vandalism goes up in the summer...whata ya gonna do....right, take a chance, have a contingency, and make sure your insurance is paid up.

Road runner
05-12-2013, 11:50
What about the Dunnfield Creek Parking Area? Is overnight parking allowed there?

rocketsocks
05-12-2013, 13:05
What about the Dunnfield Creek Parking Area? Is overnight parking allowed there?
It always has been in the past...don't see why it wouldn't be now. Though there has been reports of vandalism in past also, though I know peeps have parked over night with no troubles......personally I really don't see how sequestration effects either of these parking areas...crazy...it's just a parking lot. If the state can't monitor, or install a camera to curb vandalism....then get the hell out of the way. really ticks me off!

PosterNutbag
05-14-2013, 21:21
If i recall correctly there is parking literally right next to the trail. I backpacked there last summer. Not sure what the lot is called, may be the one that is closed. DWG is an awesome place for a hike, going north bound over the bridge was definitely a highlight.

coach lou
05-17-2013, 13:20
'Socks, any new insight on this?

rustmd
05-17-2013, 14:16
i too amy looking for 5-6 days' parking in DWG in June. any more info?

.com

rocketsocks
05-17-2013, 16:17
'Socks, any new insight on this?Not really, if the lot is closed...we'll just park on the PA side, no biggie. That's where "Rain :sunMan" and I parked last time...had no troubles.

In hind sight, we could just park on the PA side anyway, it's not far....but this needs be nothing more than a game time call.

I could mix up some fish entrails and some fox esterine and toss in in the back of the truck, might come back to a bear though.

coach lou
05-17-2013, 16:23
Not really, if the lot is closed...we'll just park on the PA side, no biggie. That's where "Rain :sunMan" and I parked last time...had no troubles.
Cool.........................

DugK
05-17-2013, 17:29
When I lived in Blairstown we used leave our car on Millbrook Rd where the trail crosses. There is/was parking spots along the road. I left my car there many times over multiple nights. Then again this was a few years ago.

Road runner
05-19-2013, 11:54
I called the office at Worthington State Forest and they said I could park overnight at the Dunnfield Creek Natural Area. All I have to do is call them with my vehicle information the day before.

da fungo
05-19-2013, 12:13
If it helps clarify, I think that Dunnfield Creek is a state property, while the Kittatinny Visitor's Center is Federal. The sequestration only affects US Government (federal) activities, at least directly. That's also why it wouldn't be right to blame the state for not having a camera in the Kittatinny parking area - not their area of responsibility.