PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about alcohol on the trail

Fakin the Funk
05-07-2013, 11:39
So I am planning a 14" thru-hike. I enjoy a nip or 2 of whiskey at the end of a long day and even at a lunch break while hiking. I am not talking fall down drunk, just like a nice little buzz while walking through the woods. How will this be received on the trail? My biggest fear is that I will just not fit in on the trail. I am not unpopular or awkward, I just have a feeling others will disagree with me on politics and life in general.

Train Wreck
05-07-2013, 11:43
So I am planning a 14" thru-hike. I enjoy a nip or 2 of whiskey at the end of a long day and even at a lunch break while hiking. I am not talking fall down drunk, just like a nice little buzz while walking through the woods. How will this be received on the trail? My biggest fear is that I will just not fit in on the trail. I am not unpopular or awkward, I just have a feeling others will disagree with me on politics and life in general.

If you're only going to hike 14" of the trail, you won't have much time to catch that buzz first :)

treesloth
05-07-2013, 11:47
Silly answers aside, the HYOH mantra exists for a reason. If one of your biggest concerns is how others will perceive you, then perhaps you need to rethink why you are doing this. Of all the thinking that I'm doing for what will hopefully be my 14 attempt, fear of how others will perceive me or my ideas is not one of them. Doing the hike is what's important, whether it's high, drunk, coked up, sober or whatever. If you're not in anyone's face with your habits or otherwise, then who cares? :)

ajwatson
05-07-2013, 11:48
The more whiskey you offer me, the less I'll be bothered

Fakin the Funk
05-07-2013, 12:03
I am hiking the trail because I love nature, and it will give me a lot of time to think. I also want to test myself mentally and physically. I am about to turn 35, and I will be forced into a marriage here within the next 2 years. Once that happens it is game over as far as the trail goes.

Malto
05-07-2013, 12:18
I am about to turn 35, and I will be forced into a marriage here within the next 2 years. Once that happens it is game over as far as the trail goes.

that is depressing on so many levels. My advice, Take two bottles of whiskey. And to answer your question, no it won't be a big deal. Could it bother some, maybe but they need to get a life.

treesloth
05-07-2013, 12:20
I am about to turn 35, and I will be forced into a marriage here within the next 2 years.

Yes, you better get this hike out of the way before your arranged marriage. I didn't even know those existed anymore.

MDSection12
05-07-2013, 12:21
In Maryland alcohol is prohibited on the trail... But I've yet to spend a night at a shelter where someone wasn't passing a bottle of something around. I think the guys that disagree with you will be in the minority and will likely just keep hiking rather than express their distaste.

Kookork
05-07-2013, 12:47
Cheers, I am also a 2014 potential thru hiker. I am not a regular drinker but have no issue with someone who enjoys a drink or two while on trail whatsoever. If you are not drunk who cares. It is your time on trail, your money,your body,your life and I am just there to enjoy the trail just like you. Hike your own hike is not just about the walking and speed or how you tackle the trail, it is about respecting yourself like others. You like to drink? , fine by me.

max patch
05-07-2013, 12:53
No one cares if you drink.

No one can make you talk about politics either.

MDSection12
05-07-2013, 12:54
Cheers, I am also a 2014 potential thru hiker. I am not a regular drinker but have no issue with someone who enjoys a drink or two while on trail whatsoever. If you are not drunk who cares. It is your time on trail, your money,your body,your life and I am just there to enjoy the trail just like you. Hike your own hike is not just about the walking and speed or how you tackle the trail, it is about respecting yourself like others. You like to drink? , fine by me.

What if I am drunk?

BirdBrain
05-07-2013, 12:58
I am hiking the trail because I love nature, and it will give me a lot of time to think. I also want to test myself mentally and physically. I am about to turn 35, and I will be forced into a marriage here within the next 2 years. Once that happens it is game over as far as the trail goes.

If this is not sarcasm, it is the saddest view of marriage I have ever seen. I married someone who completes me, not squelches my every dream in life. We took on each others interests. We seek to please each other. That's what people who love each other do. If you are not marrying for love and acceptance of each other, I would question why you would marry. I do not drink, but if I were you I would be tempted.

To the original post: I don't think you need the planets approval on this one. I won't be sharing one with you. I also won't be turning my nose up at you.

Are you being serious or making rhetorical comments?

MDSection12
05-07-2013, 13:10
If this is not sarcasm, it is the saddest view of marriage I have ever seen. I married someone who completes me, not squelches my every dream in life. We took on each others interests. We seek to please each other. That's what people who love each other do. If you are not marrying for love and acceptance of each other, I would question why you would marry. I do not drink, but if I were you I would be tempted.

Agreed. I'm just over one year into my marriage and can honestly say I'm a better, happier man today than I ever have been before. She has no interest in extended backpacking trips (I just got her out on an overnight finally, but that will probably be her limit) but is extremely supportive of my interest. She knows that one day the AT will call and I will answer. It's actually something we talk about fairly often. :)

Fakin the Funk
05-07-2013, 13:19
Agreed. I'm just over one year into my marriage and can honestly say I'm a better, happier man today than I ever have been before. She has no interest in extended backpacking trips (I just got her out on an overnight finally, but that will probably be her limit) but is extremely supportive of my interest. She knows that one day the AT will call and I will answer. It's actually something we talk about fairly often. :)

Im not joking about feeling forced. I aint a spring chicken, all my friends are getting married, and the woman I am with now is the best yet, so it wont be a total disaster. It will just be a tall order to tell her sorry, gotta quit work, leave you for 5 months, have limited contact, and experience a life changing moment without you. Maybe she will be cooler about it than I think, but I have serious doubts. Glad to hear that wettin my beak wont be a huge deal out there. Just ready to do it.

rocketsocks
05-07-2013, 13:20
Funk, no one cares if you drink, marry, or finish a thru-hike...now spewing politics on the trail could get you second looks....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfI9rJ0toWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfI9rJ0toWA

peakbagger
05-07-2013, 13:22
It sure will up the cost of the trip.

rocketsocks
05-07-2013, 13:24
It sure will up the cost of the trip.True dat brother...true that!

BirdBrain
05-07-2013, 13:26

I am in the same exact boat. My wife's view of hiking is 5 miles at tops. She has zero interest in overnights that don't involve electricity and running water. But she knew that part of me and accepted it when we committed to each other. I tolerate her rabid sports addiction and she tolerates my rabid outdoors addiction. People that go into marriages with a bucket list of changes they would like to see or innocent activities they have to give up, should not get married. A partnership marriage is the best thing on the planet. It is my most prized possession and it is my wife's as well. It is obtainable. I am no great prize. If I can find one so can most anyone. You find a good spouse and you won't care about the alcohol anymore. They are far more intoxicating.

BirdBrain
05-07-2013, 13:29
Im not joking about feeling forced. I aint a spring chicken, all my friends are getting married, and the woman I am with now is the best yet, so it wont be a total disaster. It will just be a tall order to tell her sorry, gotta quit work, leave you for 5 months, have limited contact, and experience a life changing moment without you. Maybe she will be cooler about it than I think, but I have serious doubts. Glad to hear that wettin my beak wont be a huge deal out there. Just ready to do it.

Priorities man. Only you can answer that call. If she is the one, she will be worth any sacrifice. If she is the one, the true sacrifices will be few. I am still trying to figure out my thru. Just doing Maine this year.

Kookork
05-07-2013, 13:29
What if I am drunk?

If one is drunk then he/she needs supervision by other hikers until he/she is sober again. if it is a habit for the guy to be drunk then I will move on and let him/her be,. If he is a menace to others when drunk and shows sign of violence then I will move on even faster and will do my best to tackle the situation as best as I could.
I personally am more sociable and mellower when drunk but I have seen some people who turn aggressive when drunk. I will definitely avoid this type of person in my life. We have a saying in Persian that says: You are your real you when drunk. I came to believe this saying has some merits to it.

Fakin the Funk
05-07-2013, 13:47
It sure will up the cost of the trip.

Yeah, and my pack weight. I imagine at the end of a long day, it will only take a couple shots of the creature to knock me on my ass, and right to sleep.

max patch
05-07-2013, 13:52
If you're only going to hike 14" of the trail, you won't have much time to catch that buzz first :)

Yeah, he needs to buy that t-shirt they sells at Neels Gap "I hiked the entire width of the Appalachian Trail"

MDSection12
05-07-2013, 13:53
Then don't do it. I'd stay single for my whole life before I married someone reluctantly. People talk about cold feet, but I think that's BS. I couldn't wait to be married. The wedding itself made me nervous, sure, but if I had second thoughts about spending my life with her I wouldn't have done it. Going in with any other mindset is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

I knew I was ready when I started thinking about it on my own and began to imagine what our lives would be like together. Marriage had always seemed to me like the way you described it; as a trap. When that perception started changing and it became something I wanted to do then I knew I had found the right girl. Now having kids is another ball game, and I'm still wrestling with that 'trap.' :eek:

I am in the same exact boat. My wife's view of hiking is 5 miles at tops. She has zero interest in overnights that don't involve electricity and running water. But she knew that part of me and accepted it when we committed to each other. I tolerate her rabid sports addiction and she tolerates my rabid outdoors addiction. People that go into marriages with a bucket list of changes they would like to see or innocent activities they have to give up, should not get married. A partnership marriage is the best thing on the planet. It is my most prized possession and it is my wife's as well. It is obtainable. I am no great prize. If I can find one so can most anyone. You find a good spouse and you won't care about the alcohol anymore. They are far more intoxicating.
Well stated. I am in total agreement until the last part; I have developed a taste for good beers, and that craving is difficult to satiate with anything other than trying new beers all the time. :p

If one is drunk then he/she needs supervision by other hikers until he/she is sober again. if it is a habit for the guy to be drunk then I will move on and let him/her be,. If he is a menace to others when drunk and shows sign of violence then I will move on even faster and will do my best to tackle the situation as best as I could.
I personally am more sociable and mellower when drunk but I have seen some people who turn aggressive when drunk. I will definitely avoid this type of person in my life. We have a saying in Persian that says: You are your real you when drunk. I came to believe this saying has some merits to it.
I agree totally with the saying, but I take it to a different meaning; it doesn't matter if someone is drunk or sober an a-hole is an a-hole... You just see it more quickly when they're drunk. If you choose your friends wisely then a drunk friend is still a good friend. I don't mind if people get drunk around me, but that doesn't mean their behavior once drunk will be excused.

SwissGuy
05-07-2013, 14:02
I carry a little flask of Wild Turkey, and like a couple ounces down the gullet before bedtime. I've never had anyone look at me askance for it, but then again, I tend to be liberal about sharing it with others.

But yea OP, no one is going to care.

hikerhobs
05-07-2013, 14:07
It's your hike, Do what you want , who cares what others think :)

rocketsocks
05-07-2013, 14:08
You find a good spouse and you won't care about the alcohol anymore. They are far more intoxicating.Couldn't agree more Bird Brain...Married 24 years yesterday :)

hikerboy57
05-07-2013, 14:24
during my section hike from springer to damascus, i would say the majority of hikers i came across "enhanced" their journey at one point or another.

MDSection12
05-07-2013, 14:25
during my section hike from springer to damascus, i would say the majority of hikers i came across "enhanced" their journey at one point or another.

That doesn't sound like alcohol to me. ;)

hikerboy57
05-07-2013, 14:27
That doesn't sound like alcohol to me. ;)
wasnt limiting it to any particular substance. alcohol can be used for medicinal purposes as well, you know.

rocketsocks
05-07-2013, 14:31
during my section hike from springer to damascus, i would say the majority of hikers i came across "enhanced" their journey at one point or another.Oh were goin to enhancements....I'll bow out before I get kicked out....

FarmerChef
05-07-2013, 14:38
I have no problem with anyone enjoying a nip or two from time to time. On my last hike with my family, we arrived at the shelter to find a bunch of guys out for the weekend. They already had a fire going and were quite polite and sociable. After we had finished dinner they left the fire they made and walked off down the trail a bit out of sight. I became worried that perhaps we had offended them somehow or the kids were talking their ears off. Well, after a piece they came back and explained they had a tradition on the trail but didn't want to pass the bottle in front of the kids. I assured them it wasn't a problem with our kids (they've seen almost everything under the sun on the trail already) but I appreciated the sentiment all the same.

Chaco Taco
05-07-2013, 14:49
wasnt limiting it to any particular substance. alcohol can be used for medicinal purposes as well, you know.
I like to call that "performance enhancers" and or "herbal inspiration" :)

OP, dont worry about what everyone else is doing. Sorry you are being forced to marry. I was lucky enough to marry a thruhiker so we hike very often. Nothing better than bein on the trail and in the same tent with the one that matters most in my life. Nothing beats that!!!!

perdidochas
05-07-2013, 15:15

With that attitude, you're bound to be a great husband........

perdidochas
05-07-2013, 15:19
Then don't do it. I'd stay single for my whole life before I married someone reluctantly. People talk about cold feet, but I think that's BS. I couldn't wait to be married. The wedding itself made me nervous, sure, but if I had second thoughts about spending my life with her I wouldn't have done it. Going in with any other mindset is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

I'm with you on that. I've been married almost 17 yrs, and I've felt trapped all of zero minutes.

MJW155
05-07-2013, 15:27
You will be fine. I never saw as much alcohol and weed anywhere in life as I did on the trail.

garlic08
05-07-2013, 15:34
One of the reasons I hike is to detox--I abstain from all drugs, including caffeine and alcohol, and even OTC meds. I don't carry Vitamin I and have never used it on a hike. I get more funny looks when I turn down coffee than when I turn down beer. I'm very sensitive to caffeine and don't like hiking with any kind of buzz.

That's my opinion. If you hadn't asked, I wouldn't have said a thing, and I feel it's your absolute right to enjoy alcohol responsibly on the trail.

perdidochas
05-07-2013, 15:48
One of the reasons I hike is to detox--I abstain from all drugs, including caffeine and alcohol, and even OTC meds. I don't carry Vitamin I and have never used it on a hike. I get more funny looks when I turn down coffee than when I turn down beer. I'm very sensitive to caffeine and don't like hiking with any kind of buzz.

That's my opinion. If you hadn't asked, I wouldn't have said a thing, and I feel it's your absolute right to enjoy alcohol responsibly on the trail.

I think if I were to thru-hike, I'd do the same. Before I started, I'd have to detox from the coffee. Wouldn't want to do that on the trail. I probably would carry vitamin I though.

Hairbear
05-07-2013, 16:46
So I am planning a 14" thru-hike. I enjoy a nip or 2 of whiskey at the end of a long day and even at a lunch break while hiking. I am not talking fall down drunk, just like a nice little buzz while walking through the woods. How will this be received on the trail? My biggest fear is that I will just not fit in on the trail. I am not unpopular or awkward, I just have a feeling others will disagree with me on politics and life in general. dude if you feel you are being forced into marriage take it from me run run like the wind hell run like mexican water through a tourist but freakin run. use the trail as your race track but RUN.

hikerboy57
05-07-2013, 16:48
dude if you feel you are being forced into marriage take it from me run run like the wind hell run like mexican water through a tourist but freakin run. use the trail as your race track but RUN.
i agree. chew your own arm off if you have to

RED-DOG
05-07-2013, 16:50
Alcohol is fine as long as it doesn't get out of hand, and that sort of thing can real fast.

Another Kevin
05-07-2013, 16:56
If this is not sarcasm, it is the saddest view of marriage I have ever seen. I married someone who completes me, not squelches my every dream in life. We took on each others interests. We seek to please each other. That's what people who love each other do. If you are not marrying for love and acceptance of each other, I would question why you would marry.

Preach it! I'm likely to remain always a clueless weekender, because I love my wife more than the trail. I can swing a longer section once in a great while, but I'd never put her through what it would take to support me in a thru. And that's fine - I like the amount of hiking that I do. (Then again, when I retire, she's likely to send me off on a thru just to get me out of the house!)

I have no problem with anyone enjoying a nip or two from time to time. On my last hike with my family, we arrived at the shelter to find a bunch of guys out for the weekend. They already had a fire going and were quite polite and sociable. After we had finished dinner they left the fire they made and walked off down the trail a bit out of sight. I became worried that perhaps we had offended them somehow or the kids were talking their ears off. Well, after a piece they came back and explained they had a tradition on the trail but didn't want to pass the bottle in front of the kids. I assured them it wasn't a problem with our kids (they've seen almost everything under the sun on the trail already) but I appreciated the sentiment all the same.

I'm wondering if they have a similar custom to one group that I've hiked with: on the last night of an outing, they'll pour out thimblefuls of something and toast those who are now hiking in a better world. Nobody gets drunk, just a little remembrance of our departed.

I can do without the booze - in fact, when I'm hiking, for whatever reason, I want it less. But if I can't have coffee I'm not going! Apologies to the Mormons, and I'll try not to indulge in front of their kids.

Train Wreck
05-07-2013, 16:58
i agree. chew your own arm off if you have to

I suggest finishing off the whole bottle of whiskey first :D

Sara
05-07-2013, 18:18

Why don't you invite her along?
You'd have a drinking buddy! ;)

Bullwinkle
05-07-2013, 18:38
Two thoughts. Marrying the first time was the biggest frigging mistake in a life that has been lined up with stupid. Marrying the second time, best thing that every happened to me.

And: I too take & enjoy good whiskey in the woods. The main 'problem' I've run into is the other hikers who 'yogi' from me when they realize I've got some.

Wise Old Owl
05-07-2013, 19:06
While we argue about the marriage. - As a Wise Old Owl that has been bitten by a Alligator... One should not offer Politics with Alcohol unless the folks around the campfire bring it up first.

We have a new motto up at the cafe... Don't feed the Alligator and if you do, you must jump the fence and retrieve what you lobbed over.

We have one in the pond in front of the Cafe keeps the kids away from fishing.

WingedMonkey
05-07-2013, 20:20
Why don't you invite her along?
You'd have a drinking buddy! ;)

B-I-N-G-O

:banana

Dogwood
05-07-2013, 20:58
I am a hiker not a psychiatrist, life coach, addiction or marriage counselor. .

Del Q
05-07-2013, 21:04
Three comments,

First, I just called the Maryland State Police and turned myself in, am guilty!

Two, I carry on every hike, at the end of a long, tough day out hiking a drink is awesome!

Lastly, one night I was in bed with my wife before a 2 week section hike and she said, "you know, all of my friends are jealous that I get two weeks along", I asked which friends, she said, "ALL OF THEM".

Give your marriage some time, you might find that she begins taking your gear out of the attic, hint hint!

Honey, I love you but I think that you need some time in the woods.

That is when you will have it right!

OK honey, as usual I guess you are right, adios!

Liquor store and hit the trail!

MuddyWaters
05-07-2013, 21:42
1) If you dont want to get married, then by all means dont. It will be a mistake.

2) If you drink, who cares. Just dont be drunk, dont be an a-hole, dont expect everyone else to drink with you either.
Be respectful of others, everything is good. Dont leave your empty flask or bottle behind because its too heavy to carry either.

Dogwood
05-07-2013, 21:51
One of the reasons I hike is to detox.

Wow, I thought I was one of only a few with this same perspective.

SassyWindsor
05-08-2013, 02:04
I don't mind being around drinking people I know and trust. It's the newbies or unknowns I don't care to be around. As someone mentioned, things can get out of hand quickly. Fortunately, I'm a picky ale/beer drinker. Heineken is usually my beverage of choice and it's hard to find near trails.

Capt Nat
05-08-2013, 07:25
I am a hiker not a psychiatrist, life coach, addiction or marriage counselor. .

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

kayak karl
05-08-2013, 07:35
do people disagree with you about your drinking or politics and life in general ? whatever the answer, it probably won't change on the trail.

mrcoffeect
05-08-2013, 07:51
who cares what others think. laugh loud, love strong, live long.

peakbagger
05-08-2013, 08:02
Unfortunately someone who drinks is frequently the worst judge of whether or not they acting rude or obnoxious to others . I think thats why "impaired judgement" is frequently cited for folks doing stupid or violent things. Someone drinking at a campsite is also a major "flag" to others, particularly women that the site may not be the best place to camp.

Folks who like to drink usually like company so I expect a drinker will attract other drinkers.

Cookerhiker
05-08-2013, 08:11
This is not what you asked but....

Since you're talking a 2,184 mile thruhike, not a weekend or even week-long section hike, and since you like to have your nips twice a day (if I understand you correctly), have you thought through the implications of:

Hydration - the more alcohol you consume, the more water you will need, especially since you're lugging a backpack up and down mountains most of the time, sweating copiously, more so as you reach the mid-Atlantic in the heat & humidity of summer. Several years ago while on a section hike, I once met a prospective thruhiker who asked me if I could spare some water - he was totally out but he still had an ample supply of vodka! The need for more water to complement your whiskey adds to...

Pack weight. Sure, alcohol is lighter than water ;) but you're still packing a container - bottle, flask, whatever - with liquid which adds weight and takes up space in your pack. All of us have luxuries when we hike so if that's your's, so be it but just know what you're getting in to. And then there's...

Replenishment Availability Even in trail towns and stops that aren't in dry jurisdictions, your libation of choice may not be available unless you're willing to hitch great distances. Trailside resupply points that normally provide enough for the "typical" thruhiker may not stock hard liquor. Perhaps you need to start a thread asking about whiskey availability up the Trail corridor.

MDSection12
05-08-2013, 08:17
Wow at first I thought 'are you crazy TS, who cares if you have a drink?' but apparently plenty of people in here see it as a potentially 'volatile' situation... :-?

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 08:24
But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!huh huh huh he he eeeee that was good

stranger
05-08-2013, 08:29
I don't drink anymore, in part because I drank alot in the past haha...so I have nothing against drinking along the way. I guess what I find strange is the desire to drink WHILE hiking, I must say I've never run into too much of that before. Mostly kids seems to do that, but the odd hiker carries a small hip flask of their favorite whiskey. As for me I wouldn't have ever done that, just because I would have needed to carry a decent amount of booze to make it worthwhile.

As for drinking on the trail itself, no one will care as long as you are not drunk, and if they don't see it. I think it's fairly normal to see someone smoke a cigarette, joint or have a nip of whiskey around the campfire, not every night but fairly common. It's not so much the drinking or smoking, it's more the person and behavior of that person. Nothing wrong with having a few gulps of whiskey sitting around the fire and getting fairly tossed...but no need to get loud or obnoxious, etc...

I might say however, if you do plan on hiking in 2014 and you are focused on this topic, you might want to re think it a bit.

fcoulter
05-08-2013, 09:11
Yeah, he needs to buy that t-shirt they sells at Neels Gap "I hiked the entire width of the Appalachian Trail"

I was just driving from Frankfort, MI, to the Detroit Airport. On the way I passed a sign for the North Country Trail, which is over twice as long as the Appalachian Trail.

I want a "I hiked the entire width of the North Country Trail" t-shirt. That's even more impressive.

fcoulter
05-08-2013, 09:21
Preach it! I'm likely to remain always a clueless weekender, because I love my wife more than the trail. I can swing a longer section once in a great while, but I'd never put her through what it would take to support me in a thru. And that's fine - I like the amount of hiking that I do. (Then again, when I retire, she's likely to send me off on a thru just to get me out of the house!)

My initial plan was to retire at the same time as my wife, so I'd be working close to my 70th birthday. Recently she talked to me and told me that there were things I wanted to do that she had no interest in. Her suggestion was to retire on my retirement day, and get those things "out of my system" while she's still working.

My tentative plan is to retire late 2024 or realy 2025 -- get my PTO payout in 2025 to lower taxes -- and start with a Florida Trail thru hike in 2025. Then we'll see what follows.

(One possibility is to have both of us do a cross England supported pub to pub (bed and breakfast to bed and breakfast) hike with my wife during the first part of her her summer break. Then I would southbound the AT starting in mid-summer.)

I think she's hoping that by the time she retires a couple of years later, I'll settle down and try to spoil the grandkids.

Dogwood
05-08-2013, 11:03

I could be off base and out of line saying this but it sounds like you have had these types of concerns(issues?/problems?) surrounding your drinking off trail and are now concerned they will follow YOU on to the trail. That should be telling you something. Think about it!

Disagree with me if you will but in my honest opinion it is YOUR BEHAVIOR that is at the center of your question not other people's behavior.
No one should have to tell you that folks don't normally mind someone having a nip or two when appropriate. When things go beyond that is when things can get sticky.

Crusinsusan
05-08-2013, 11:53
I could be off base and out of line saying this but it sounds like you have had these types of concerns(issues?/problems?) surrounding your drinking off trail and are now concerned they will follow YOU on to the trail. That should be telling you something. Think about it!

Disagree with me if you will but in my honest opinion it is YOUR BEHAVIOR that is at the center of your question not other people's behavior.
No one should have to tell you that folks don't normally mind someone having a nip or two when appropriate. When things go beyond that is when things can get sticky.

Have to agree with this. The question itself is a red flag for YOU, not anyone else. I get the distinct impression that you've gotten into arguments, political or otherwise, when "buzzed", and this has caused you concerns about "others". I suspect you're not talking about a small amount of alcohol.

That, coupled with the "forced marriage" thing (whether that just be about age or what others are doing at your age) strikes me as if you're feeling very down.

I think the hike will be good for you (sounds like you need it), but I think you're downplaying your use of alcohol, and that needs to be addressed.

Maybe a hike sans drink is what you need to clear your head, detox, and figure out what you want out of life.

Fakin the Funk
05-08-2013, 12:05
Have to agree with this. The question itself is a red flag for YOU, not anyone else. I get the distinct impression that you've gotten into arguments, political or otherwise, when "buzzed", and this has caused you concerns about "others". I suspect you're not talking about a small amount of alcohol.

That, coupled with the "forced marriage" thing (whether that just be about age or what others are doing at your age) strikes me as if you're feeling very down.

I think the hike will be good for you (sounds like you need it), but I think you're downplaying your use of alcohol, and that needs to be addressed.

Maybe a hike sans drink is what you need to clear your head, detox, and figure out what you want out of life.

Of course I have been obnoxiously drunk before. I think just about everybody has at some point in their lives. When I hike, I am not trying to get drunk. I was just wondering how prevalent it was for say someone to pass a bottle around at the end of the day. I am not worried about becoming a problem to others with alcohol. I guess what I am driving at, is I am not into the hippie culture that the trail has a reputation for. Sure, I smoke from time to time, but am by no means a stoner. I am not casting dispersions on anybody's lifestyle, I just get annoyed with hippies and deadbeat hikers that trash the place, and are not respectful. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Dogwood
05-08-2013, 12:09
BTW, I said what I said as someone who has had to deal with these potential issues from addressing my own behavior with drinking but I'm not you and I'm not saying my situation is the same as yours. I'm just tellin ya what I did to make a positive change. I took some long hard cold introspective looks at my behavior surrounding drinking. I didn't like what I saw. I took personal responsibility for my behavior in relationships(and a whole lot of other things). I, personally, am a better person because of it. That's just me. Just sayin'.

Dogwood
05-08-2013, 12:12
IMHO, passing around a bottle on the AT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT a common practice. It happens but it is not common!

Crusinsusan
05-08-2013, 12:18
I'm not offended.

hikerboy57
05-08-2013, 12:18
Of course I have been obnoxiously drunk before. I think just about everybody has at some point in their lives. When I hike, I am not trying to get drunk. I was just wondering how prevalent it was for say someone to pass a bottle around at the end of the day. I am not worried about becoming a problem to others with alcohol. I guess what I am driving at, is I am not into the hippie culture that the trail has a reputation for. Sure, I smoke from time to time, but am by no means a stoner. I am not casting dispersions on anybody's lifestyle, I just get annoyed with hippies and deadbeat hikers that trash the place, and are not respectful. Sorry if I offended anyone.
i'll take a "hippie" over a drunk any day.

Dogwood
05-08-2013, 12:28
Think about it. Alcohol and the containers it comes in are extra wt that most experienced or long distance hikers don't desire to carry and certainly not in quantity. Even those who imbibe in "smoking", in my experience, generally do so respectfully and away from others who don't wish to include themselves in this activity. I can tell you, VERY FEW hikers(those who's primary goal is to enjoy the outdoors and hike) are not usually enthralled by those obviously and obnoxiously intoxicated on trail. Even though the AT is a social trail socializing DOES NOT NECESSARILY ENTAIL the inclusion of alcohol and/or drugs. I say these things but, as this is a public forum, know I am not a prude. Just tryin to help you enjoy your hike - and possibly more.

Rolls Kanardly
05-08-2013, 12:29
"A Man hath no better friend who gives him 100 proof."

Fakin the Funk
05-08-2013, 12:34

Who said I was a drunk? Nice, judging and making assumptions about somebody you have never met. good day to you sir.

hikerboy57
05-08-2013, 12:41
Who said I was a drunk? Nice, judging and making assumptions about somebody you have never met. good day to you sir.
hey never called you a drunk, so dont get offended.
but you're throwing out some random generalizations,though, and as youve just shown, people who use alcohol are far more likely to start a fight than a stoner(unless it involves crunchy cheetos)
i dont judge people, ask anyone i hiked with this spring.

MDSection12
05-08-2013, 12:50
How many outdoor hobbies do you have Fakin? I'd say drinking in hiking is just as prevalent as it is in any other outdoor hobby; not celebrated, but not frowned upon either... It all depends on context. If you are respectful of others then the rest doesn't matter. I snowboard, mountain bike, fish, hike, and just generally like being outdoors. For many, many people all of those hobbies include 'catching a buzz.' No big deal, just don't be a jerk and it's all good.

I almost always have some kind of libation with me on the trail and when it comes time to start enjoying I usually just get a sense of who I'm around. If it's all adults and there is a pleasant social atmosphere then I'll ask if anyone minds and if no one does I'll drink. Occasionally there will be a family or youth group (like scouts) and I'll just take it to another fire ring out of sight. Keep in mind also, this is Maryland where you must camp at the shelter sites. For most of the trail this is not the case and avoiding people would be much easier.

Kookork
05-08-2013, 12:51
How about hiking some states along the AT sober and some with alcohol and see what is more enjoyable for you? just keep in mind ,From what I have heard, Virginia is not the best state to practice sobriety. :)

BirdBrain
05-08-2013, 14:17

This is the problem with blogs. Inflection and intent is so hard to discern. I read HB's comments as generic. You read them as specific. It is like me saying I would rather have a drunk driving than a texter driving because the drunk is at least trying to look at the road. Such statements are comparative abstract rhetoric. My statement and HB's statement is not an indictment on anyone. It is just banter in the wind. I suspect (don't know) that HB has had a couple sips in his lifetime. Would his statement indict himself? Now if he came out and said you are a drunk, I would be upset if it was not true. Until then, take it as it is meant. its all good

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 14:26
For levity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcAmrVQjleE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcAmrVQjleE

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 14:41
and balance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boSkUNBGn6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boSkUNBGn6U

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 14:46
And just because

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmA0MtHhX78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmA0MtHhX78

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 14:52
But her's the thing of the thing....ya don't want to alienate yourself....

Dogwood
05-08-2013, 14:57
This is the problem with blogs. Inflection and intent is so hard to discern.

BirdBrain is spot on. Ohh, how I have fallen prey to and been preyed upon because of this. Most communication is non verbal; it often mostly comes through physiology - how we hold our bodies, faces, stances, arms, etc. This level of communication is not possible from JUST behind a keyboard hence the increasing popularity of video phones and web cams w/ sound.

I read HB's comments as generic. You read them as specific.

I've read 100's of Hikerboy 57's comments so have a good sense of who he is, how he communicates, and where he's coming from. I too saw his comment on his #68 post as generic. I sincerely believe he wasn't specifically calling you anything by making that comment Fakin the Funk.

My statements, BirdBrain's, and HB's statement are not intended as an indictment on anyone. As BB said, it's just banter in the wind.

Fakin the Funk, everyone wants you to have a great hike. By all means HYOH. Enjoy yourself out there.

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 15:05
This is the problem with blogs. Inflection and intent is so hard to discern.

BirdBrain is spot on. Ohh, how I have fallen prey to and been preyed upon because of this. Most communication is non verbal; it often mostly comes through physiology - how we hold our bodies, faces, stances, arms, etc. This level of communication is not possible from JUST behind a keyboard hence the increasing popularity of video phones and web cams w/ sound.

I read HB's comments as generic. You read them as specific.

I've read 100's of Hikerboy 57's comments so have a good sense of who he is, how he communicates, and where he's coming from. I too saw his comment on his #68 post as generic. I sincerely believe he wasn't specifically calling you anything by making that comment Fakin the Funk.

My statements, BirdBrain's, and HB's statement are not intended as an indictment on anyone. As BB said, it's just banter in the wind.

Fakin the Funk, everyone wants you to have a great hike. By all means HYOH. Enjoy yourself out there.I gotta agree with the Dogwood...ain't nothin but a thang!...enjoy your hike as you hike it.

Fakin the Funk
05-08-2013, 15:22
How many outdoor hobbies do you have Fakin? I'd say drinking in hiking is just as prevalent as it is in any other outdoor hobby; not celebrated, but not frowned upon either... It all depends on context. If you are respectful of others then the rest doesn't matter. I snowboard, mountain bike, fish, hike, and just generally like being outdoors. For many, many people all of those hobbies include 'catching a buzz.' No big deal, just don't be a jerk and it's all good.

I almost always have some kind of libation with me on the trail and when it comes time to start enjoying I usually just get a sense of who I'm around. If it's all adults and there is a pleasant social atmosphere then I'll ask if anyone minds and if no one does I'll drink. Occasionally there will be a family or youth group (like scouts) and I'll just take it to another fire ring out of sight. Keep in mind also, this is Maryland where you must camp at the shelter sites. For most of the trail this is not the case and avoiding people would be much easier.

I board, golf, tennis, hunt, and fish. I definitely have a couple drinks when snowboarding, it makes me bolder to try and turn some tricks, not drunk just liquor courage. Golf, definitely as well, but if it is for money(which is always) not much, what I call swing lube, a beer or two a side. Tennis and hunting NFW, dangerous with hunting, and you play like **** if you are drinking and playing tennis. Fishing, of course there will be a cooler of beer.

hikerboy57
05-08-2013, 16:18
fakin the funk, as ive often pointed out, none of this stuff even comes up when you're actually hiking the trail. i just spent 6 weeks out there and lets just say if you're not being n a-hole, you're pretty much free to hike any damn way you want.
being an a-hole isnt restricted to those who drink, smoke,hippies,stoners or otherwise. you can be completely sober and still be an a-hole.
me,starface and homebrew expereienced some trail magic a few days before damascus, came across a cooler left by a ocal church, packed with pepsis, as well as cream pies, first aid supplies, duct tape and a register.
as we sat drinking our ice cold sodas, i mentioned"i bet some a-hole is going to come along, open the cooler, look inside and say "f***,no coke."
10 minutes later, a guy we had met a few times, comes up to the cooler, opens it,looks inside, and says "f***-no coke!"
couldnt understand why we were hysterically laughing.
he didnt drink or smoke.
enjoy your hike any way you want to-its all yours, and its all good.
but dont be an a-hole.

aficion
05-08-2013, 17:00
But her's the thing of the thing....ya don't want to alienate yourself....

"What difference does it make?" "Death is part of life."

MDSection12
05-08-2013, 17:49
I board, golf, tennis, hunt, and fish. I definitely have a couple drinks when snowboarding, it makes me bolder to try and turn some tricks, not drunk just liquor courage. Golf, definitely as well, but if it is for money(which is always) not much, what I call swing lube, a beer or two a side. Tennis and hunting NFW, dangerous with hunting, and you play like **** if you are drinking and playing tennis. Fishing, of course there will be a cooler of beer.
OK, so if I asked you how your drinking was received in those instances wouldn't you kind of look at me weird and say something like 'I don't know, I like it, my friends like it, and we don't really bother anybody so why would it matter?' Granted on the trail you won't have your friends, but given the numbers on the trail you'll likely have some friends just like them after a few days. :)

Luddite
05-08-2013, 19:13
people who use alcohol are far more likely to start a fight than a stoner(unless it involves crunchy cheetos)

Guess you've never seen stoners when they run out of weed.

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 19:20
"What difference does it make?" "Death is part of life."Hey that's DPDT...No not double poll double throw....(electrical term) Double Post Different Thread :D

hikerboy57
05-08-2013, 19:25

Yes,they can get cranky,cant they?

johnnybgood
05-08-2013, 19:44
I get a natural high when hiking , it must be the release of endorphines.

MDSection12
05-08-2013, 19:49
I get a natural high when hiking , it must be the release of endorphines.
Sights, sounds, smells, feel of the air... It is overpowering isn't it? :)

HikerMom58
05-08-2013, 19:57
Sights, sounds, smells, feel of the air... It is overpowering isn't it? :)

I'm hooked! :D

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 20:23
I get a natural high when hiking , it must be the release of endorphines.That's right....suck it up johnny, it be good. Brother I get high on life and the little things like sunsets, a down pour and claps of thunder, and yes frozen toes thawing out. it lets you know your alive.:sun

Lone Wolf
05-08-2013, 20:38
it's just drinkin'. stay away from shelters if it offends your candy azz

Del Q
05-08-2013, 20:49
New idea, moonshine stands at all road crossings..........what a money making idea.

prain4u
05-08-2013, 22:55
...just like a nice little buzz while walking through the woods.

My only concern would be the POTENTIAL safety risks associated with this particular part of your post. Sure, quite a few people do at least some hiking while under the influence of various chemicals. However, hiking while "buzzed" is also a good way to increase the chance that you could make a minor mistake that could bring your hike to a premature (and perhaps unpleasant) conclusion. Personally, I would save the "buzz" for once I was safe and secure at camp at the end of the day. HYOH YMMV

BirdBrain
05-09-2013, 00:06
"What difference does it make?" "Death is part of life."

1012 and 1010 were much better than 1008. I am channeling you and approve of your sarcasm.

Hairbear
05-09-2013, 01:11
your hippies and deadbeat hiker comment did the same . Im a hippie who leaves no trace ,both on and off the trail.

Dogwood
05-09-2013, 01:46

Some of this is a riot. A regular riot Alice. LOL. If I see ya on the trail and your not a hole I'll stop by your campfire and say hello. Don't ask though. I'm not carrying out any pf your empties.

Dogwood
05-09-2013, 01:48
If a golf cart is at your campsite I'll know it's Fakin the Funk.

Donde
05-09-2013, 03:05
Oh the joy of WB! taking things that need no discussion and making them a thread, cause we all wish we were on trail right now ( one more month I'm coming home baby). So in that vein here is my 2 cents: If you are doin' it right (as your statements suggest you intend to) you won't need any advice. Have a good day hanging out with good folks have a little, you like the folks you're with and say "would anyone care for a bit?" they do they don't whatever works it self out, the end. Weird crowd, boy scouts, someone who already told you they were in recovery, show some discretion, don't turn a shelter into your bar. As for your world views and the beatniks; same thing dude, works itself out because you are starting from what you share instead of from being an A-hole reading the news ( does't mean you agree but it takes the vitriol out) Umm yeah that's it. As a wise Drill once told me
"It's too ****ing easy kid"

Chaco Taco
05-09-2013, 06:11
Yea we stop eating as much. I for one, try to never run out :)

Fakin the Funk
05-09-2013, 07:51
New idea, moonshine stands at all road crossings..........what a money making idea.

I like the way you think. A real trail entrepreneur

Fakin the Funk
05-09-2013, 07:52
your hippies and deadbeat hiker comment did the same . Im a hippie who leaves no trace ,both on and off the trail.

Very true. Just had some bad experiences in Pisgah with this.

mrcoffeect
05-09-2013, 08:20
last year on my hike there was group of about eight to ten of us that just kind fell together. we all seemed to be going at the same pace. there was drinkers and smokers alike. if we were at a shelter or campsite, and there were youngins around or people that just seemed like they would mind. one of us would announce that It was time for a safety meeting, and we would walk a good distance from the shelter or campsite and pass the bottle, or bowl or whatever. I don't drink, but I don't care if others do, just as long as they're not getting stupid, sluring their words, or trying to hug me and tell me " I love you man" the key to carrying on ... is to not get carried away.

MDSection12
05-09-2013, 08:37
Hmm. I think I'm gonna have to start holding regular safety meetings when I'm on the trail now. To think I've been so unsafe this whole time! :banana

hikerboy57
05-09-2013, 08:41
Hmm. I think I'm gonna have to start holding regular safety meetings when I'm on the trail now. To think I've been so unsafe this whole time! :banana
there were many safety meetings during my trip, and it always seemed to be 4:20 somewhere, especially on 4/20.

Chaco Taco
05-09-2013, 10:11
there were many safety meetings during my trip, and it always seemed to be 4:20 somewhere, especially on 4/20.
There is a great sign in Vermont "Safety Zone"

hikerboy57
05-09-2013, 10:13
its good to feel safe on the trail

Chaco Taco
05-09-2013, 10:20
its good to feel safe on the trail
I hiker better when Im "safe"

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 10:24
I use to love safety meeting....but alas I am unsafe these days

atmilkman
05-09-2013, 10:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yXxomeId_dw

hikerboy57
05-09-2013, 10:26
now where did that last 15 miles go?

mrcoffeect
05-09-2013, 10:43
now where did that last 15 miles go?
or that 15 miles wasn't to tough today, now that im "safely" tucked away for the evening. :)

BirdBrain
05-09-2013, 10:47

I do everything better in my mind. I do so so in real life. I say I did it better than I did when I recount the doing of it. I do it all sober and straight. I remember what I did.

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 10:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yXxomeId_dwAnoth er goody.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYQZJ9NUzYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYQZJ9NUzYU

Chaco Taco
05-09-2013, 11:04
country music makes me wanna throwup :)

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 11:27
country music makes me wanna throwup :)make me wanna throw down:)

BirdBrain
05-09-2013, 11:37
make me wanna throw down:)

Makes me wanna throw synthetic.

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 11:41
Makes me wanna throw synthetic.makes me wanna throreau

oh thy country living that be mine

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 11:43
makes me wanna throreau

oh thy country living that be mineyer right...alcohol does make one say stupid shat

Train Wreck
05-09-2013, 12:07
make me wanna throw down:)

Makes me wanna throw hike

MDSection12
05-09-2013, 12:46
These are all over Maryland... I assume it's related to hunting?

I may have to begin a new tradition for those signs now. ;)

treesloth
05-09-2013, 14:52
Chaco for President!!:clap

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 14:57
Makes me wanna throw hikeI got nothin....:)

T-Rx
05-09-2013, 15:34

+1 for hiker "safety". Chaco you are the man!

atmilkman
05-10-2013, 00:51
country music makes me wanna throwup :)
It's supposed ta. You're from New Hampsha. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JTFg4UzvMw&feature=player_detailpage

Dogwood
05-10-2013, 01:45

I thought that sign said "SAFETY MEETING ZONE."

When I saw that sign that said "Welcome To Maine The Way Life Ought To Be." I said damn right. Time for a Maine Safety Meeting too.

Lone Wolf
05-10-2013, 06:19
I thought that sign said "SAFETY MEETING ZONE."

When I saw that sign that said "Welcome To Maine The Way Life Ought To Be." I said damn right. Time for a Maine Safety Meeting too.

some sorta drug culture reference?

mrcoffeect
05-10-2013, 07:14
why yes it is, thanks for askin LW.

Meg Wilson Author
05-10-2013, 08:03

Take advice from someone who has hiked the entire width of the Appalachian Trail... http://megwilsonauthor.com/766-at-on-my-mind

WingedMonkey
05-10-2013, 09:18
The only problem I have with alcohol on the trail is the use of illegal alcohol. If you see someone using or in possession of moonshine on the trail or in a trail town you should notify law enforcement.

It's time to out a stop to the moonshine culture, and those breaking the law.

Call the police.

Yukon
05-10-2013, 09:23
The only problem I have with alcohol on the trail is the use of illegal alcohol. If you see someone using or in possession of moonshine on the trail or in a trail town you should notify law enforcement.

Call the police.

Oh jeeeeeezzz...:rolleyes:

atmilkman
05-10-2013, 09:36

Call the police.

Oh jeeeeeezzz...:rolleyes:

Too funny.

treesloth
05-10-2013, 10:25

Call the police.

Sometimes, you're pretty funny. This has been one of those times.

BirdBrain
05-10-2013, 10:46
Sometimes, you're pretty funny. This has been one of those times.

I love your optimism.

treesloth
05-10-2013, 10:54
I love your optimism.

Well, just complimenting a fellow board members sense of humor... But thanks!

Gray Blazer
05-10-2013, 10:56

Call the police.

This makes me mad. They never tell me where I can get any. :mad: :eek: :banana :( :-? :cool: :rolleyes: :o

WingedMonkey
05-10-2013, 11:09
Well, just complimenting a fellow board members sense of humor... But thanks!

Be careful, he might quit...

BirdBrain
05-10-2013, 11:11
Be careful, he might quit...

The wounds the words inflict are directly proportional to the quality of the source.

rocketsocks
05-10-2013, 14:21
Serious question....I thought you could make small quantities of shine for personal consumption....No?

I not talking about untaxed shine or illegal shine, so this is not in regard to that very funny comment.

MDSection12
05-10-2013, 14:27
Serious question....I thought you could make small quantities of shine for personal consumption....No?

I not talking about untaxed shine or illegal shine, so this is not in regard to that very funny comment.

It varies by state.

rocketsocks
05-10-2013, 14:50
It varies by state.Thanks, yeah i couldn't get my head around making beer and wine and not being able to cook some shine.

If you love your country, your gonna have to love moonshine~Tickle..."moonshiners"

bfayer
05-10-2013, 14:53
It varies by state.

True states have their laws but the feds say not without an expensive and highly regulated distilling plant permit.

Also keep in mind lead and methanol contamination is still an issue with shine.

MDSection12
05-10-2013, 16:21
Thanks, yeah i couldn't get my head around making beer and wine and not being able to cook some shine.

As bfayer states above, there are still some health concerns with distillation that are not an issue with simple fermantation.

Luddite
05-10-2013, 17:32
You haven't had a long night at a shelter until you're with a group of hikers passing around a vial of acid.

rocketsocks
05-10-2013, 19:29
As bfayer states above, there are still some health concerns with distillation that are not an issue with simple fermantation.like illegal stills goin boom boom

rocketsocks
05-10-2013, 19:30
You haven't had a long night at a shelter until you're with a group of hikers passing around a vial of acid.
Button button, who's got the button.

bfayer
05-10-2013, 20:32

Was that really necessary.

Chaco Taco
05-10-2013, 22:40
now that's a party

hikerboy57
05-10-2013, 22:43
now that's a party
calls for a safety meeting.

Chaco Taco
05-10-2013, 22:44
calls for a safety meeting.
on it......

hikerboy57
05-10-2013, 22:45
on it......
well thats one thing thats the same on the trail-a quick and immediate reaction

Chaco Taco
05-10-2013, 22:47
Im always in hiker mode

Tuckahoe
05-10-2013, 22:52
I dont really have anything to contribute, but seeing how the thread is going and in honor of the OP Fakin the Funk...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ8X16QKb20&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dogwood
05-10-2013, 23:34
Eight yrs later. Page #423. Someone will STILL have something to say about the most famous and widely consumed DRUG - alcohol.

George
05-11-2013, 14:50
Eight yrs later. Page #423. Someone will STILL have something to say about the most famous and widely consumed DRUG - alcohol.

I say it should be more available and less costly

Hairbear
05-11-2013, 15:25
calls for a safety meeting. Alice and the white rabbit are osha reps.

weary
05-11-2013, 20:47
Not only that, but numerous studies have shown that those of us who drink moderately live longer than those who don't -- both teetotalers and drunks.

MDSection12
05-11-2013, 21:32
Can never be too careful about safety. ;)

DaSchwartz
05-12-2013, 00:49
yes, you will deal with alcohol on the trail, and yes, you will deal with drunks on the trail. If drunks and alcohol are a problem to you, avoid the shelters as much as possible

Kookork
05-12-2013, 02:11
Not only that, but numerous studies have shown that those of us who drink moderately live longer than those who don't -- both teetotalers and drunks.

What you mentioned is a fact. let's drink for that.( my post even rhymes)...

mrcoffeect
05-12-2013, 08:12
Can never be too careful about safety. ;)

you know what they say........ safety saves the day.

mrcoffeect
05-12-2013, 08:15
now my posts are starting to rhyme too, must have been something in that last safety meeting.

hikerboy57
05-12-2013, 08:16
now my posts are starting to rhyme too, must have been something in that last safety meeting.
turrn it into a haiku and post it in the cafe.
and bring some crunchy cheetos

Theosus
05-12-2013, 09:04

Run. Run run run run. If you feel this way now... wait until ten years into the marriage. My biggest piece of advice is to get a vasectomy NOW. Because once you have a kid, you're locked into the 18-year contract with her. I've been married 15 years, and parts of it have really been a struggle. Me going hiking is always a stressor, but I love it and will not give it up, despite the emotional abuse she gives me. Of course, I'm only going on three-five day trips at the most. I'm not even considering a through-hike, at least until my child is off to college, at which point the game changes. I was hoping my daughter would take up hiking with me, but her idea of the outdoors is getting a geocache on a light-pole lamp skirt. Any more than 1/4 mile into the woods and she's missing her iPad.

mrcoffeect
05-12-2013, 09:05
haiku? is that the little pot that sits on sterno burner with the dippin sauce and the long skinny fork lookin thingy. I love haiku.:banana

T.S.Kobzol
05-12-2013, 09:06
Run run run run has less side effects than rum rum rum rum

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

hikerboy57
05-12-2013, 09:07
haiku? is that the little pot that sits on sterno burner with the dippin sauce and the long skinny fork lookin thingy. I love haiku.:banana
you know what they say
when it comes to hiking well
safety saves the day.

no cheese involved. different type of pot though.

johnnybgood
05-12-2013, 11:15
I find cyber hiking often drunk in it's own ambiguity.;)

Alligator
05-12-2013, 11:34
This one had run its course.

Some of you need to chill out with all the drug references. MJ is still illegal on the federal side and in the majority of states recreationally. A reference here or there will probably pass unnoticed, particularly if discussing etiquette, but don't haze up a thread like this.