PDA

View Full Version : another tarp question

Trebor66
05-07-2013, 15:07
I'm looking at the ENO Profly and ENO Dryfly. Both are the same price (79 bucks) and same weight (22 oz). The only difference is the design. Does anyone have experience with these two designs? Is there any advantage to one over the other?

I only do relatively short hikes of a few days or so a few times a year so I can't justify the high prices super light tarps.

ScouterDave
05-07-2013, 15:16
I've got the Profly and have been happy with it.

flemdawg1
05-07-2013, 15:58
I have a Profly also, but I'd add another $20 and get an OES MACCAT and save 12oz.

gunner76
05-07-2013, 16:26
If you are car camping then either will do. If you are backpacking then they are on the heavy side. I am currently using a Hammock Gear Cuben tarp that weighs 8.5 oz ( a bit on the pricey side). OES, Warbonnet, Wilderness Logics and others (check Hammock Forums) all make excellent silnylon tarps in the 14/16 oz range

Dogwood
05-07-2013, 23:53
I'm looking at the ENO Profly and ENO Dryfly. Both are the same price (79 bucks) and same weight (22 oz). The only difference is the design. Does anyone have experience with these two designs? Is there any advantage to one over the other?

I only do relatively short hikes of a few days or so a few times a year so I can't justify the high prices super light tarps.

Depends on how you are expecting to use either tarp. These are Hammock sized tarps designed for that primary, BUT NOT NECESSARILY ONLY, function.

BTW, I don't care what ANYONE says these sized tarps are not SUL, UL, and quite possibly not even light wt. Just my UL opinion though. If you want hammock sized tarps as Flemdawg said you can DEFINITELY get a similar sized one with significantly less wt.

And, if you are intending to sleep on the ground under a tarp WITHOUT HAVING TO PITCH REALLY LOW AND STILL STAY DRY IN DRIVING OR HEAVY RAIN, IMO, I wouldn't go smaller in width than the ENO Pro Fly. The ENO Dryfly to be used for a tarp to sleep under on the ground IS barely wide enough without the addition of a bivy. Personally, I wouldn't sleep on the ground under either of these tarps. Not enough coverage for the wt or not properly sized for sleeping on the ground under.

Trebor66
05-08-2013, 02:41
I'm thinking that the ProFly might be the way to go. I will be using it to cover my hammock and not for ground use. I'm 6'6" tall so I doubt either would work well as a tent tarp set up for me. I'm rather new to sleeping in a hammock so thanks for the help.