PDA

View Full Version : Gate Opening at 6am in 2013!

TJ aka Teej
05-07-2013, 17:15
Togue Pond and Matagamon Gates will be opening at 6am and closing at 10pm for the entire summer season in 2013.
The 5 am gate opening at Togue Pond Gate (the south entrance ATers use) has been discontinued.

FarmerChef
05-07-2013, 17:34
Thanks for the update TJ. Is this due to sequestration? Not asking a political question here but I've seen other notices at other parks and am curious if this is related to that or something else.

rickb
05-07-2013, 20:14
Thanks for the update TJ. Is this due to sequestration? Not asking a political question here but I've seen other notices at other parks and am curious if this is related to that or something else.

Baxter is independently funded.

As far as I know they don't get a dime from the Feds-- or from the State of Maine for tha matter for that matter (I think, could be wrong).

FarmerChef
05-07-2013, 21:00
Ah ok. I've noticed similar cutbacks in other places. Just trying to get a sense of the impacts at various parks insofar as it may affect my hikes/plans this summer. Thanks.

TJ aka Teej
05-08-2013, 13:37
Rick, as usual, is correct.
Baxter Park is operated almost entirely through user fees and the interest from trust funds provided by Governor Percival Baxter.
A small portion of operating funds are gifts from the private sector.
Baxter State Park receives no tax dollars or other funds from the State of Maine or the Federal Government.
The change in hours merely represents the Park conforming best to visitor use.
The reserved parking spots program, and a down trend in day-use visitor numbers, seems to have curbed the need for lining up at the gate at 3AM.

FarmerChef
05-08-2013, 13:40
Thanks Rick and TJ. Sounds like they're being good stewards of the land. That brings a smile to my face. :)