PDA

View Full Version : Winter AT Hiking Suggestions

Pawling
05-07-2013, 21:42
Hey everyone,

My buddy and I over the past 3-5 years or so have began hiking the trail in pieces. We have went north from Pawling, NY up through CT and into MA, and have also went south from Pawling, NY just about 30 miles or so. It has always been a Friday night - Sunday night trip.

Now we plan on taking 5-7 days or so at the very end of December, and are looking for some advice on where we should hike if we're looking for a part of the trail that won't have much snow, if not no snow. So I suppose I'm thinking of somewhere between Virginia and Georgia. Ideally we are looking for tall forests, decent weather, and abundant water sources overall.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Dogwood
05-07-2013, 21:54
Ask this question closer to winter and you'll probably get more answers. Right now most folks are still enjoying spring.

Wolf - 23000
05-07-2013, 22:05
I've done the AT in the winter - all states completed in Dec/Jan/Feb months only. After I enter CT is where I started seeing a good amount of snow. In NJ/PA/MD/WV/VA/GA normal I did not see much snow.

Hope this helps.

Wolf

Dogwood
05-07-2013, 22:09
Wolf, where have you been lately? Still hiking? Still going SUL/Mimimalist/Survivalist thruing with that ridiculously tiny REI Flash pack? Do you really thru with that minimalist of a kit consistently?

Pawling
05-07-2013, 22:16
Thanks for the snow info, but any recommendation of a particular piece of the trail to hike for our trip?

map man
05-07-2013, 23:32
You can encounter snow or freezing rain anywhere on the AT in winter, but the lower elevations that you can hike at, the better your chances for milder weather. With that in mind you could try the approximately 70 mile stretch in central Virginia that goes from Craig Creek Valley (Va 621) to Va 614 near Buchanan. The trail stays under 3000 feet in this stretch with rare exceptions like McAfee Knob and Dragons Tooth which go slightly over 3000 feet. This segment runs from a little south of Catawba, skirts the Roanoke area and ends just north of Buchanan. Some scenic highlights are McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. If you go farther south to TN/NC/GA you encounter some higher elevations more prone to nasty winter weather even though they are farther south.

Hope this helps.

Feral Bill
05-08-2013, 00:42
Most years you could just continue south through NY. Harriman is very pretty in winter.

Cookerhiker
05-08-2013, 08:23
Hiking further south does not necessarily translate into less snow; elevation is more of a determination. Also you want to be able to bail out easily if conditions become untenable.

I'd suggest a stretch between Duncannon and Harpers Ferry. It's about 60 miles between Harpers Ferry and Caledonia State Park in Southern PA (US Rt. 30 crossing). You could leave your car at HF, get a shuttle to Caledonia and start hiking. If you have more time, bump your start to Pine Grove Furnace SP 20 miles further north.

Don't overestimate your mileage since you're hiking at the time of year with maximum darkness.

moldy
05-08-2013, 09:16
Weather at that time of year is a real crap-shoot. Why not pick about 5 hikes. For example, Springer to ?, Harpers Ferry to ? etc. Then at the last moment pick the hike that will give you the best weather.

FarmerChef
05-08-2013, 09:58
Hiking further south does not necessarily translate into less snow; elevation is more of a determination. Also you want to be able to bail out easily if conditions become untenable.

I'd suggest a stretch between Duncannon and Harpers Ferry. It's about 60 miles between Harpers Ferry and Caledonia State Park in Southern PA (US Rt. 30 crossing). You could leave your car at HF, get a shuttle to Caledonia and start hiking. If you have more time, bump your start to Pine Grove Furnace SP 20 miles further north.

Don't overestimate your mileage since you're hiking at the time of year with maximum darkness.

I second this. You could go slightly further south down to Shenandoah National Park but once you climb into the park I think you'd see snow beginning in October, November at the latest. Northern Virginia, West Virginia and southern PA are all relatively low, flatish and within easy reach of roads.

Cooker's point about the darkness factor is legit. You can night hike if that's what you want and like but just remember you may only have 9 or 10 hours of daylight depending on where you are.

Pawling
05-08-2013, 18:33
Great advice. Thanks everyone.

Chaco Taco
05-08-2013, 20:11
NC in December can be fun. Hot Springs and some of the areas north of Erwin are fantastic in early winter

1azarus
05-08-2013, 20:39
In my opinion, The absolutely best place to hike with a little snow cover is the rockiest section of Pennsylvania! Around six inches is perfect. Worth waiting for! I've hiked every state during the winter... And agree with wolf that anything south of ny is generally fine, with the exception of the smokies... But PA in a little snow is heaven.

bobgessner57
05-08-2013, 20:54
Pawling:

I hike that last week of December nearly every year. I second Map Mans comments about the weather. One year I did the section south of Daleville in shorts and t shirt. The next I went N from Daleville and had 3-4 inches of snow and ice. I literally stood still and slid across the parkway without moving my legs at more than one trail crossing. Another year I was at Mt Rogers with 15 inches of snow on Wilburn Ridge and 6 degrees with 40 mph wind. The idea of having several trips planned and making a last minute decision about destination is a good one. I am especially wary of ice on trails that are described as very rocky or rugged. I carry traction, used snowshoes on Rogers, and always use trekking poles for balance.

Three things to keep in mind, the weather reports are generally geared for the towns, even at 3-4,000 feet conditions can be much colder, snowier, etc. There are few other hikers out so if you have an accident you are likely on your own. ( In some areas there may be deer hunters). The nights are very long. If the trail isn't icy and slick I often eat before dark then put in several miles after dark, especially if the moon is up. Plan b is a good book.

1azarus
05-08-2013, 21:42
In my opinion, The absolutely best place to hike with a little snow cover is the rockiest section of Pennsylvania! Around six inches is perfect. Worth waiting for! I've hiked every state during the winter... And agree with wolf that anything south of ny is generally fine, with the exception of the smokies... But PA in a little snow is heaven.

Sorry...meant to say every state from MA south... I'm not that much of a badass!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Biggie Master
05-08-2013, 21:49
Pawling:

I hike that last week of December nearly every year....
The nights are very long. If the trail isn't icy and slick I often eat before dark then put in several miles after dark, especially if the moon is up. Plan b is a good book.

+1. One of my favorite memories on the trail was an "all nighter" hike -- 8pm to 10am -- from Newfound Gap to Cosby Campground on Dec. 31, 2011.

Malto
05-08-2013, 21:49
I would also agree with The big bad Wolf. I did several hundred miles this winter in VA, NC, TN and PA. You will see some snow and ice, be prepared for it but if you pick your windows it is an outstanding time to be on the AT.

Wolf - 23000
05-08-2013, 22:24
Wolf, where have you been lately? Still hiking? Still going SUL/Mimimalist/Survivalist thruing with that ridiculously tiny REI Flash pack? Do you really thru with that minimalist of a kit consistently?

I still get out to hike a few hundred miles a year and yes I still carry my REI Flash UL but might drop it to save some weight. I picked up a couple of lighter packs that seem be working out on the short trips I've taken. Lately I've been getting my butt ready for my Alaska trip!

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
05-08-2013, 22:31
Thanks for the snow info, but any recommendation of a particular piece of the trail to hike for our trip?

I have always liked going over McAfee Knob to Dragons Tooth. I've hiked that stretch several time in the winter and aways loved it.

Hope this helps.

Wolf

fiddlehead
05-09-2013, 03:44
Depends on the year.
When I did a winter hike in 2001/2002, we had 70 deg days in NJ in December.
Had some below zero temps in southern VA.
You never know.

I usually do some day hikes in winter when I'm back in PA and look forward to the times when there is snow on the ground.
Makes for a lovely scene.

Good idea to take some extra socks. (and a good sleeping bag)
Have fun.

Another Kevin
05-17-2013, 09:11

Well, almost. The PA rocks would be at their best if they got enough snow that you could just snowshoe over them. But I understand that very seldom happens. Still, it's all good. You should know I don't mind hiking in snow as long as I can take my time.

There are a bunch of trails up in the Catskills that are easier on snowshoes than they are in better weather. Rocks, mud, nettles, blackberries, hobble bush, all covered over.

Venchka
05-17-2013, 10:44
Hey everyone,

My buddy and I over the past 3-5 years or so have began hiking the trail in pieces. We have went north from Pawling, NY up through CT and into MA, and have also went south from Pawling, NY just about 30 miles or so. It has always been a Friday night - Sunday night trip.

Now we plan on taking 5-7 days or so at the very end of December, and are looking for some advice on where we should hike if we're looking for a part of the trail that won't have much snow, if not no snow. So I suppose I'm thinking of somewhere between Virginia and Georgia. Ideally we are looking for tall forests, decent weather, and abundant water sources overall.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Like all multi-variable questions, the answer is: It depends. Winter arrives at different times every year. Some years it comes & goes from November to April. Other years it arrives and stays.
Based on spending the last week in December in Boone, NC in 2009 & 2011: Winter was definitely in full swing in 2009 and not in 2011. Both years were different. In 2009 there was quite a bit of snow on the ground before Christmas. Freezing rain fell Christmas eve/Christmas day and turned the upper layer of snow into 3"-6" thick rock hard ice and brought down quite a bit of vegetation. 2011 was completely different. Drizzle & a dusting of snow in Boone at 3,400' - 4,000'. Disclaimer: I know. Conditions are different at higher elevations. However, if there is a foot of snow in Boone at 3,400', you can bet your woolies it was really winter on the AT up at 5,000'-6,000'.
If you want a real winter experience, assuming winter has arrived, I would suggest Elk Park, NC (US 19 E) southbound to the first highway crossing (NC 226-TN 107, NC 197-TN 395 or US 19 W) where you can arrange a shuttle into Erwin, TN. Trail distance: 30 to 61 miles. High point: Roan High Knob Shelter.
Good luck & have fun.

Wayne