PDA

View Full Version : Weight of a trash compacter bag

BuckeyeBill
05-07-2013, 22:31
Will someone tell me how much one weighs? Thanks in advance.

The Ace
05-07-2013, 22:37
7.9 pounds. Ohwait, that’s with the trash. Okay, 65grams without. Now I have mess to cleanup.

daddytwosticks
05-08-2013, 07:20
If I had to guess, I'd say somewhere around 2 ounces or more? They are relatively heavy. My Gossamer gear pack liner is slightly less than 2 ounces and seems lighter than compacter bags, to give you some perspective. Don't have access to a scale or my equipment right now. Sorry. :)

rusty bumper
05-08-2013, 08:09
The one I use weighs 1.5 ounces.

diyguy
05-08-2013, 11:31
Mine weighs 66g/2.33oz.

Dogwood
05-08-2013, 11:55
Trash compactor bags come in different sizes. All are not made the same with the same materials. For my 3400 cubic inch ULA CDT backpacks my trash compactor backpack liners typically weigh just under 2 oz. Personally, I alternate depending on conditions by combining a trash compact liner(about 2 oz, sometimes can be a bit more or less wt though), Sea To Summit Ultra Sil pack cover(3 oz, small size for the ULA CDT), a ZPacks cuben pack cover(med for the CDT, .74 oz/sq yd, 1.2 oz), and spraying or washing in Nikwax TX Direct or Grangers WP or DWR spray on into Dyneema type pack material. A cuben pack liner and/or cuben pack could(will?) avoid a pack cover entirely. Personally I like storing things on the outside of my packs that I don't want to get wet and I don't want my Dyneema packs absorbing significant water wt so I usually like a pack cover. If I feel the need for greater weather protection I take it from there.

Dogwood
05-08-2013, 11:58
Oh, I'm looking for a lighter wt non custom order Cuben pack cover possibly made with .51 cuben.

10-K
05-08-2013, 13:02
Lighter than wet gear... :)

Lyle
05-08-2013, 13:03
Any of the name brand simple trash bags work just fine.

Never had anything get wet that needed to stay dry, always relied on simple trash bags, either inside the stuff sack when we all carried our sleeping bags lashed to the bottom of our frame pack, or inside the pack, with all must-stay-dry gear inside it, loosely packed. Just need to inspect it once in a while and replace if it develops major holes.

While keeping your vital gear dry is very important, it is really quite easy to do with a modicum of care. Most folks obsess over this way too much. Just use common sense and pay attention to what you are doing during packing and camping.

daddytwosticks
05-08-2013, 16:17
If you can, use a white compactor bag as a liner. Way easier to see stuff inside. :)

MuddyWaters
05-08-2013, 19:44
The white hefty are about 2.2 oz and probably all you find locally anyway.

Walmart sells a roll of their cheap off-brand liners sometimes, never tried them

rickb
05-08-2013, 20:49
7.9 pounds. Ohwait, that’s with the trash. Okay, 65grams without. Now I have mess to cleanup.

My favorite post of the year.

Dogwood
05-08-2013, 22:35
I've used the large size oven roaster basting bags as pack liners too. They hold up fairly well perhaps better than simple plastic bags although plastic bags come in different mils(thichnesses) too so that effects durability and wt. As you can see this can easily become a gram weenie issue though.

shakey_snake
05-09-2013, 01:00
66g for a hefty 18 gallon bag.

Dogwood
05-09-2013, 01:32
Gran weenies own digital scales.

BuckeyeBill
05-09-2013, 03:48
Thanks again eveyone. I asked because I found this pack liner (http://www.rei.com/product/847671/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-pack-liner-small) and thought if the weight wasn't an issue,it may hod up better that a compator bag.

MuddyWaters
05-11-2013, 21:54
I test mine every day before repacking if expecting rain. If it has a little hole, all it takes is a small patch of duct tape.
You can get cuben ones from several mfgs, or make your own as well. Cuben drysaks arent difficult to make at all using cuben tape. More than one person made their own then started selling them, but subsequently found out they couldnt charge enough to be worth the time and effort.

Dogwood
05-11-2013, 22:00
I test mine every day before repacking if expecting rain. If it has a little hole, all it takes is a small patch of duct tape.

How much does a small patch of duct tape weigh? :D Does the EXTRA wt of the duct tape slow you down? :o

4Bears
05-12-2013, 06:52
How much does a small patch of duct tape weigh? :D Does the EXTRA wt of the duct tape slow you down? :o

It depends, if you are using a piece of duct tape you are presently carrying, then the weight is just transferred. But if you got a piece of duct tape from someone else then it has additional weight and yes it may slow you down. YRMV ;)

moytoy
05-12-2013, 07:06
Gran weenies own digital scales.
Is a gran weenie an old weenie?

garlic08
05-12-2013, 08:51
I was wondering how a thread about the weight of a plastic bag could possibly run 19 posts. You guys crack me up.

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2013, 09:07
Should have been posted in the Humor section.http://www.theoutdoorsforum.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smiley-ugly-lol-bashing-sign.gif

MuddyWaters
05-12-2013, 19:22

Im obviously carrying the ducttape with me in my FAK so its not any additional wt.
I dont know how,but time to time I do get holes in my pack liners.

Dogwood
05-12-2013, 19:44
Is a gran weenie an old weenie?

I guess lots of things are beneficial in the sense they can help one be more observant. :D NEVER forget this is an open public forum! How about Grand GraM Weenies?