PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Fishing on thier Thru Hike?

mxracer33x
05-07-2013, 23:47
I fish everywhere I go. I rarely have a destination or path I travel where it cant be incorporated. The incorporation of Tenkara style fly fishing has made it much lighter and more packable for a UL hiker. I still have to cull through all the regs of the fine CA DFG to make sure I don't break any laws but I hope to spend some time wetting a few flies. Anyone else?21511

Miner
05-08-2013, 00:05
When I hiked the PCT along the JMT, I didn't need to fish. I just carried extra candy bars and traded for the spoils of other PCT thru-hiker's fishing efforts since I was hiking with them and they were carrying a rod. Nothing tastes better than fresh fish on the trail, except fish that I didn't have to catch myself. ;) But now that my Ruta Locura (formerly Titanium Goat) adjustable trekking poles can now be adapted into a Tenkara rod, it has me seriously considering taking up fishing while I'm hiking in the Sierras. Except that I'll have to start making campfires since my 550ml pot is too small and alcohol stoves aren't the best method to actually cook with. My hiking buddy's jetboil did a great job boiling fish, but I'll never carry that sort of weight.

DaFireMedic
05-08-2013, 02:30
A guy let my sons do a little fishing at Purple lake, but otherwise we didnt bring poles. But I saw some very good size trout in the lakes and streams up there and found myself longing for some fishing gear. I very well might next time.

mxracer33x
05-08-2013, 12:00
I don't typically keep fish, except when backpacking with my youngest daughter (5). She LOVES fresh trout. I don't usually take the time to make a fire and go through all the motions when doing longer distances. Id be up for trading for candy bars though!;) I let a few guys try out my rod last year on the PCT. Its hard to get it back after they get the hang of it and get a few fish!

coach lou
05-08-2013, 12:22
I was very disappointed awhile back when I saw in someones gallery, I brace of Goldens in a skillet. Folks, I love to fish. Especially in the back country, but Brookies in the western mountains are non-native. Most western states have generous limits. ALL other trout you catch on the PCT or CDT are endangered. If you take them now, your gran-kids will never see them.

DaFireMedic
05-08-2013, 12:52
I was very disappointed awhile back when I saw in someones gallery, I brace of Goldens in a skillet. Folks, I love to fish. Especially in the back country, but Brookies in the western mountains are non-native. Most western states have generous limits. ALL other trout you catch on the PCT or CDT are endangered. If you take them now, your gran-kids will never see them.

I know what you are saying coach, and I agree with you. I would have shared your disappointment at seeing that pic. Keep in mind that the most all the lakes along the JMT with very few exceptions, like the ones right at Red's Meadow, etc., require fairly long hikes to get to are very lightly fished. You don't really see the family picnic type outings or large groups cranking out pan fulls of fish from those lakes. I saw maybe 3 people fishing on my entire thru-hike, and the guy at Purple Lake was there with his grandson and said he was catch and releasing. I can't speak for the entire PCT, but I don't think that the JMT lakes are being over fished.

coach lou
05-08-2013, 13:09
I know what you are saying coach, and I agree with you. I would have shared your disappointment at seeing that pic. Keep in mind that the most all the lakes along the JMT with very few exceptions, like the ones right at Red's Meadow, etc., require fairly long hikes to get to are very lightly fished. You don't really see the family picnic type outings or large groups cranking out pan fulls of fish from those lakes. I saw maybe 3 people fishing on my entire thru-hike, and the guy at Purple Lake was there with his grandson and said he was catch and releasing. I can't speak for the entire PCT, but I don't think that the JMT lakes are being over fished.

We all know 'the longer the walk, the better the fishing!' I looked after I posted that all you folks are from California and have way more time up there than I can even wish for. I just have to jump at those chances to preach about wild trout!:D

mxracer33x
05-08-2013, 16:47
We all know 'the longer the walk, the better the fishing!' I looked after I posted that all you folks are from California and have way more time up there than I can even wish for. I just have to jump at those chances to preach about wild trout!:D

I understand your sentiment. I have grown up with a pole in my hand and lived within yards of some of the best fishing I have found in California streams. I was/am extremely lucky. It sickens me to see people taking more than I know they can realistically use, especially in remote areas where some years are a lot harder on reproduction than others. I practice catch and release 98% of the time, that doesn't mean I expect others to do the same. But I sure wish some would be more reasonable about their takes and think about what removing a pile of fish from a small stream/river or alpine lake can do to the overall population.