PDA

View Full Version : Florida to Canada

Trail Dog
07-10-2005, 06:53
Hey i have a question about doing the whole ECT. Rada and I plan to hike the 4000 miles. Start date is set for early 2007, new years eve if possible. I was told January is a good time to head north, i estimate we should be in georgia end March or begining of April.

After spending most of my week looking through the web sites for info on the Trail in Florida, the Alabama Trail and the trail north of Mt K i still have a few questions.

I already posted on the Florida trail forum and figured i might get other answers here. They have a great website its worth checkin out www.florida-trail.org The internet has scarce info on the trail in Alabama so info on that would be great.

Florida Trail Questions:
how do you get from the southern most point in the US (its the florida Keys) to the Start of the florida trail in Big Cypress?

Which side of the lake is the nicest, East or west?

Which route is niecer the Western Corridoror the Eastern? Distance dont matter we have 12 months?

Also at what point do we hit Harold so we can get onto the Blackwater trail/Alabama connector?

How do we obtain the nessisary Permits.

Alabama Trail questions:
Does anyone have any GOOD websites or info?

How many miles in AL?

Whats the trail like?

North of Mt K questions:

How far from Mt K down the other side to the northern most part?

where does it acually end?

For those wondering, I am doing fine, Iraq is still hot and it only occationally rains Mortars.

Thank you Much

PKH
07-10-2005, 12:30
As for the sections north of Katahden - somewhere between 750 and 800 miles. Estimates vary slightly. For all practical purposes the terminus is now at at the tip of Cape Gaspe, Quebec in Forillon National Park. There are ambitious plans to extend the IAT right up the west coast of the island of Newfoundland. Some of this trail is in place but for the most part is still a paper trail, and mostly road walking. That hasn't stopped a few hardy souls however.

I would definitely plan on getting through the Quebec mountains (Chic Chocs) before mid October to beat possibly heavy snow at higher elevations. It is Canada after all and you will be a long way north of Florida.

An ambitious walk - others have done it - so can you.

Cheers,

PKH

Frosty
07-10-2005, 16:48
Long road walk from FLA to start al AL Pinhoti. Here's a web site:

http://www.pinhoti.org/pages/4/index.htm

Georgia Pinhoti is a lot of road walking.

I have an old (~2000) trail description. PM me and I'll send it to you. It used to be on the internet, but I think the old GA Pinhoti web site is no longer up.

From the GA pinoti you can hit the Benton Mackaye Trail and reach Springer from the back (north) side.

Parts of the FT are open only to members of Florida Trail Assn. They are on private land and landowner only gives permission for FTA members as a way of controlling traffic.

North of Katahdin, the IAT (SIA in French) has its own website where they sell maps. Easily found with google.

Hope this helps

MOWGLI
07-10-2005, 18:24
Georgia Pinhoti is a lot of road walking.

There are two road walks along the Georgia Pinhoti, each of which could be walked in a single day. The real road walk is between the Florida Nat'l Scenic Trail (at the Alabama Border) and the southern terminus of the Alabama Pinhoti.

By '07 there will undoubtedly be morre Alabama Pinhoti Trail to walk. They are extending the trail south as I type this.

Frosty
07-10-2005, 19:17
There are two road walks along the Georgia Pinhoti, each of which could be walked in a single day. The real road walk is between the Florida Nat'l Scenic Trail (at the Alabama Border) and the southern terminus of the Alabama Pinhoti.

By '07 there will undoubtedly be morre Alabama Pinhoti Trail to walk. They are extending the trail south as I type this.That's good to hear. As I said, the GA Pinhoti trail description I had was five years old. On that one, over a quarter of the trail was road walk. Are there maps available for it?

Many times it depends on the road. I don;t mind road walks on near-trafficless back country roads, expecially dirt/gravel ones. It's the tip-toe along the edge of the pavement while trucks go by 60 mph five feet away that I don't like.

MOWGLI
07-10-2005, 22:56
That's good to hear. As I said, the GA Pinhoti trail description I had was five years old. On that one, over a quarter of the trail was road walk. Are there maps available for it?

Many times it depends on the road. I don;t mind road walks on near-trafficless back country roads, expecially dirt/gravel ones. It's the tip-toe along the edge of the pavement while trucks go by 60 mph five feet away that I don't like.

A new map was recently developed by one of the GPTA volunteers. If you visitthe GPTA web page and send them an inquiry, you might be able to purchase a copy.

http://www.georgiapinhoti.org/index.shtml

BTW, the road walk between Dalton and Chatsworth is along roads where traffic zips pretty good. While all road walks are cause for caution (or better yet - catching a ride) that particular walk requires the hiker to be quite alert.

bobtomaskovic
07-10-2005, 23:06
The only way from the southernmost point to florida city is to walk up US1. You take Krome ave north to the Tamiami trail. It's all roadwalk. Nimblewill Nomad has a good strategy on his site for handling the bridges in the keys. The keys are tied togeather by 2 lane bridges 7 mile ( 7 mi long ) bridge is the longest. The traffic is thick on a weekend but sometimes 15 -20 min between 2am on a weeknight. Folks have done it so dont let me rain on your parade. You have to become a member of the florida trail assn. to thru the florida trail. January is great down here 70-75 and no rain.

Ridge
06-17-2006, 23:53
http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=5044487&nav=8fap

MedicineMan
06-18-2006, 00:04
a couple of weeks ago and thought of the GET, of course this thought came as i looked across at Big Pine Mountain and the Big Pine Mountain Trail and of course the 'break' in it....so many trails, so little time, such crappy knees :)

Doctari
06-18-2006, 15:20
Read Nimbelwill Nomad's journal. He did that hike in 98.

http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/odyssey_1998.htm

A great read, and most excellent journy. I would imagine that some things have changed, but it should give you some ideas.

Doctari.

dreamhiker
06-20-2006, 07:04
I have been thinking of doing this trek. My ony fears are the Florida sections. What are some of the dangers to lookout for. It looks like from what I have read that there is alot of water walking my biggest fears are snakes and gators and crime issues(from all the road walking).
DreamHiker

MedicineMan
06-20-2006, 07:38
i did a 10 mile section of the FT in February, 3 miles were ankle deep water (ranger said that was shallow), over the day saw 6 alligators within 8-15 feet of the trail and one snake.....they basically ignored me...