PDA

View Full Version : Downloaded Awol's 2013 guide to my Nook Glowlight

Spirit Bear
05-08-2013, 14:36
Im sure this has been discussed countless times already. For 8 bucks you can download the PDF of Awol's 2013 AT guide, then you can put it directly on your E-book. I have a nook glowlight (7oz) and downloaded it last night.

Im just hiking 55 miles soon but will be nice having it on my nook on the trail instead of cutting up a hard copy.

Crusinsusan
05-08-2013, 15:32
As a kindle owner, I'm envious.

I keep checking for it on Amazon, but there still is no kindle version there.

Water Rat
05-08-2013, 17:07

Crusinsusan - Check out this link to Amazon: http://www.theatguide.com/

If you follow this link (click on the "buy from amazon.com" on the right), it will lead you to Amazon... Where the Kindle version is on sale for $3.00 until May 14th.

Water Rat
05-08-2013, 17:09
Oops! I am in error... That was to AWOL's book, not the A.T. Guide. Sorry to get your hopes up!

moytoy
05-08-2013, 17:17

I don't have a kindle but if you google pdf to kindle there are several ways to load to your kindle.

engine386
05-08-2013, 19:13
Agreed. Your kindle has an email address that u can use to email yourself things such as PDFs. Stick mentions it in his kindle review.

Crusinsusan
05-08-2013, 23:34
Okay...who is or what is "stick"? And where can I find it/him/her?

I googled PDF kindle, and came up with stuff I don't think I can follow.

moytoy
05-09-2013, 00:04

If you have a usb cable that fits your Kindle just download any PDF file to your computer and then plug the Kindle into the computer. The kindle will show up as an added external drive. Open it and find your documents folder and drag the PDF file that you have downloaded into the folder on the kindle. From what I am reading the kindle can read pdf files.

moytoy
05-09-2013, 00:07
Here is something in one piece I found. Maybe this makes it a little clearer.
All newer Kindle readers handle PDF files natively without any help at all. And even if you have an OLD Kindle, you can still get an update to handle password protected PDF files
The first thing you'll want to do is to save the book to your computer.
To transfer PDF and other Office documents from your computer to your Kindle reader, you can connect the Kindle to your computer, using the USB cable that came with your Kindle reader (Hint: It's also the charger cable!).
After a moment, the Kindle will appear as a separate drive in “My Computer” or “Windows Explorer.” On a Mac, the Kindle should appear as a drive on your desktop. You can drag and drop files from your computer desktop to the Kindle drive and they’ll be copied to the Kindle’s memory. It might help (just so they'll be easy to find on your Kindle) if you double click the Kindle's icon on your computer and navigate to "Documents" - copy your files to that location.
If you can’t find your Kindle USB cable or don't want to use it for some reason, you can transfer documents from the computer to your Kindle wirelessly.
All Kindle users have a person email address that looks something like this - [email protected] or [email protected]. Any files that you send to this email as an attachment will auto-download to your Kindle while you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.
You'll need the password to read the full editions and you'll have to enter it each time you open the book. This is one of those things we've been tinkering with but for now you always need your passwords handy.

Crusinsusan
05-09-2013, 00:26
Ohhhhh wow....think I got it. Sometimes I love this place. :)

Sometimes not. But for now I do. :p

Crusinsusan
05-09-2013, 00:43
Well crud. I already bought the AT physical book....was hoping I'd get the pdf free then. But still, thanks for the information. I'm sure it will come in handy.

BostonBlue
05-09-2013, 04:16
If you've already purchased the 2013 book, does AWOL offer any promotional codes or discounts on the PDF version?

fredmugs
05-09-2013, 07:28
Now that this person knows that PDF files can be placed on a Kindle I hope you also realize that lot's of other things can be scanned and saved as PDFs and then placed on your Kindle. Like maps.

tridavis
05-09-2013, 12:15
There is a Nook app for android...kindle.

Crusinsusan
05-09-2013, 12:24
Now that this person knows that PDF files can be placed on a Kindle I hope you also realize that lot's of other things can be scanned and saved as PDFs and then placed on your Kindle. Like maps.

OMG....lol...okay, I can scan the book myself. But for the time and effort, (I do want the whole book), I'd rather pay the $8. Will scan some maps though.

Spirit Bear
05-09-2013, 13:15
My nook is easy to transfer, you just plug it into your computer copy the pdf and paste it inot the nook. I also have elevation profiles and other maps in there. This feature alone is worth purchasing one of these little things. Mine weighs 7oz.

Awol2003
05-10-2013, 10:55
If you've already purchased the 2013 book, does AWOL offer any promotional codes or discounts on the PDF version?

Yes, send me an email.

Crusinsusan
05-10-2013, 12:12
Email sent! :)

hikingshoes
05-10-2013, 13:59

Here is my friend stick video on the kindle.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ndGBcgx9C4k

Ktaadn
05-10-2013, 14:06
Im sure this has been discussed countless times already. For 8 bucks you can download the PDF of Awol's 2013 AT guide, then you can put it directly on your E-book. I have a nook glowlight (7oz) and downloaded it last night.

Im just hiking 55 miles soon but will be nice having it on my nook on the trail instead of cutting up a hard copy.

So, how do you go about using the guide on your nook while hiking? I assume that the nook stays in a waterproof container turned off in your pack. Do you stop hiking, take off your pack, get the nook out, wait for it to start-up, check the mileage to your next landmark, and then reverse the whole process? Have you come up with a better system?

I just make photocopies of the pages that I need from the physical book and keep them in a ziplock bag in my pocket. That way I can check the guide without stopping.

QiWiz
05-11-2013, 21:13
So, how do you go about using the guide on your nook while hiking? I assume that the nook stays in a waterproof container turned off in your pack. Do you stop hiking, take off your pack, get the nook out, wait for it to start-up, check the mileage to your next landmark, and then reverse the whole process? Have you come up with a better system?

I just make photocopies of the pages that I need from the physical book and keep them in a ziplock bag in my pocket. That way I can check the guide without stopping.

I use AWOL's AT guide pdf on my iPhone installed in a Life Proof case. I can use it in the rain, no problem, just keep the phone in my pocket. Not sure if you can do the dame with a Nook.

Ktaadn
05-11-2013, 21:25
I use AWOL's AT guide pdf on my iPhone installed in a Life Proof case. I can use it in the rain, no problem, just keep the phone in my pocket. Not sure if you can do the dame with a Nook.
Do you leave your phone on all day? I always turn mine off when I'm not using it. Maybe I'm overly concerned with battery life...

BostonBlue
05-12-2013, 00:06
Yes, send me an email.

Thanks AWOL - Appreciate it.