PDA

View Full Version : Theft of pack at Pine Knob Shelter in MD on 5/8/13 at 11 am

yushan
05-08-2013, 15:26
Today at 11 am, a guest, who had stayed at my hostel in Harpers Ferry and who was hiking Northbound, walked away from his grey Granite Gear pack with blue stripes for 15 minutes at Pine Knob Shelter in MD. When he got back, it was gone. It had a silver ZPack tent made with Cuban fiber that was new plus other fairly new gear. He has given up his hiking trip.

Although he hadn't seen anyone around, he did see several fresh-looking candy wrappers, including Tootsie Roll and Snickers and a squeeze tube for a high-energy drink, on the AT shortly before the blue-blaze trail to Pine Knob.

He made a police report on the theft.

If you have any information about this theft, please contact the Greenbriar State Park rangers or Teahorse Hostel.

Don H
05-08-2013, 16:33
That sucks!

MDSection12
05-08-2013, 16:52
Very sorry to hear that. I'm over that way ​a lot. : (

Trillium
05-08-2013, 17:09
This saddens and angers me. Don't know the hiker but I have to believe the hiker is devastated. Very tough.

WalksInDark
05-08-2013, 17:33
Very sad tale. I still hold out (limited) hope that the person who took it...is looking for the rightful owner.

Inquiring minds want to know: was the owner's name/phone number/email address anywhere on the pack?

Jeff
05-08-2013, 17:48
Sad indeed....and with the Cuban fiber tent...very expensive loss.

Ironbelly
05-08-2013, 18:42
Very sad to hear, but your pack is your life. Leave it unsecured and bad things sadly can and do happen sometimes be it by 2 or 4 legged creatures. Same thing happened to me about 7 years or so ago. I never leave my pack unattended now unless its in a locked secure place.

jj2044
05-08-2013, 19:01
Very sad to hear, but your pack is your life. Leave it unsecured and bad things sadly can and do happen sometimes be it by 2 or 4 legged creatures. Same thing happened to me about 7 years or so ago. I never leave my pack unattended now unless its in a locked secure place.

!00% right.. would you leave you car running with your wallet on the dash at a Wall-Mart ? I feel sorry for the guy. but 15 min is a LONG time to leave.. well your life (food, shelter, money, phone) alone in an area you don't know.

MuddyWaters
05-08-2013, 19:32
Many packs contain gear that cost $1500 or more to replace.

Always, take all of your gear with you, wherever you go. Even to get water located downhill. Unless you specifically have someone you know and trust watching it for you.

I know Ive gotten some odd looks before at a shelter full of people, when I pick up everything after eating, repack my pack, get my hiking poles, and then go to get water. Just a habit though when by yourself.

HikerMom58
05-08-2013, 19:41
Aww... that's too bad! :mad:

Coffee
05-08-2013, 20:08
Just awful...

Two weeks ago on a section hike, I left my pack outside the Elkwallow wayside in SNP since they don't want packs inside and I really wanted a milkshake. It took maybe five minutes and was uneventful but went against my better judgment. Next time I will forego the shake and that's pretty sad.

bfayer
05-08-2013, 20:35
Pine knob is so close to a road crossing that if you get lost on the way to the privy you can get run over by a truck heading down I70. The hike past it to Annapolis Rocks is the most traveled chunk of the AT near Washington DC, so you get a non stop stream of big city day hikers. I was taking a nap in my hammock there a couple of years back and I heard a Zippp sound and looked over and found some kid unzipping one of our tents. I guess he didn't see me sleeping 20 feet away.

I hope they get their gear back, but I doubt they will. It's sad we have to worry about this kind of thing :(

BostonBlue
05-08-2013, 22:34
Any advice on how this can be avoided if you are traveling alone? Many restaurants will not allow you to bring your pack inside.

BuckeyeBill
05-09-2013, 03:14
BostonBlue

You can carry one of these Pack Safe (http://www.rei.com/product/709207/pacsafe-55-security-web-small) nets. They only weigh a pound.

maybe clem
05-09-2013, 03:38
I can't even imagine, that's awful. It's a good reminder to the rest of us but really how many of us even think twice about leaving a pack in a shelter while we get water? I guess I'll be changing my hiking practices now.

maybe clem
05-09-2013, 03:40
Also... I was thinking earlier today about how businesses might be even less inclined to allow backpacks inside since the Boston marathon bombings. It sounds irrational but I can see someone going there.

BostonBlue
05-09-2013, 03:58
BostonBlue

You can carry one of these Pack Safe (http://www.rei.com/product/709207/pacsafe-55-security-web-small) nets. They only weigh a pound.

Thanks Buckeye, I may just do that. For 1 lb. = Peace of mind.

Coffee
05-09-2013, 06:58
BostonBlue

The medium is needed even for relatively small packs like the circuit and it weighs 1.5 pounds. Plus I'm not sure how much security that really buys given that it is rare to see a locked pack and therefore criminals would get curious about what it is that is valuable enough to lock up. And the thin lines are no match for a small bolt cutter.

Don H
05-09-2013, 08:16
Any advice on how this can be avoided if you are traveling alone? Many restaurants will not allow you to bring your pack inside.

Always try to keep your pack in sight. If an establishment doesn't allow packs and doesn't have a secure place to put them then go elsewhere or have another hiker watch your gear while you're inside. In grocery stores I always put my pack in the cart with me, no one ever questioned me about it.

A few years ago some packs went missing in PA when people would leave them by the trail and go down the ridge to get water. Maybe a bear, maybe a person, who knows?

MDSection12
05-09-2013, 09:14
Pine knob is so close to a road crossing that if you get lost on the way to the privy you can get run over by a truck heading down I70. The hike past it to Annapolis Rocks is the most traveled chunk of the AT near Washington DC, so you get a non stop stream of big city day hikers. I was taking a nap in my hammock there a couple of years back and I heard a Zippp sound and looked over and found some kid unzipping one of our tents. I guess he didn't see me sleeping 20 feet away.

I hope they get their gear back, but I doubt they will. It's sad we have to worry about this kind of thing :(

Wow that's amazing. I would never, ever consider staying at Pine Knob. It's a shame because the tent sites are fairly nice... But my rule of thumb is generally avoiding any shelter within a mile or so of a road. I'm not sure Pine Knob is even half a mile. Also you are absolutely correct about the traffic through there; that parking lot has been full to capacity (and it's a big lot) every decent Saturday for the past two months. Day hikers also seem curious about the shelter. It seems many make the trip down just to see it. Combine all that with the road noise and you won't find me there.

bfayer
05-09-2013, 09:44
Wow that's amazing. I would never, ever consider staying at Pine Knob. It's a shame because the tent sites are fairly nice... But my rule of thumb is generally avoiding any shelter within a mile or so of a road. I'm not sure Pine Knob is even half a mile. Also you are absolutely correct about the traffic through there; that parking lot has been full to capacity (and it's a big lot) every decent Saturday for the past two months. Day hikers also seem curious about the shelter. It seems many make the trip down just to see it. Combine all that with the road noise and you won't find me there.

This is still a great section and shelter to take folks on their first "real" backpacking trip on the AT. But for people that hike in on the AT its easy for them not to realize how urban the area actually is.

A lot of youth summer programs take the city kids there for their first "wilderness" experience. Which I think is great, but if you hike and camp in that section just be aware of the fact that you are not in the backwoods.

MDSection12
05-09-2013, 09:55
This is still a great section and shelter to take folks on their first "real" backpacking trip on the AT. But for people that hike in on the AT its easy for them not to realize how urban the area actually is.

A lot of youth summer programs take the city kids there for their first "wilderness" experience. Which I think is great, but if you hike and camp in that section just be aware of the fact that you are not in the backwoods.

I hike that section often, did last weekend in fact, but I usually camp at Pogo or Annapolis Rock (though the fire ban is a bummer) instead. :)

bfayer
05-09-2013, 11:14
I hike that section often, did last weekend in fact, but I usually camp at Pogo or Annapolis Rock (though the fire ban is a bummer) instead. :)

Annapolis rocks is great and will be better when all the orange fences come down :)

I hope the stolen pack is found dumped nearby. Better to get at least some if the gear back.

RED-DOG
05-09-2013, 12:21
This happens more often than what people thinks, always take your pack with you even to get water.

Tipi Walter
05-09-2013, 12:32

Best advice is to carry a butt-heavy pack around 80-85 lbs as no one will be able to lift it.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-Citico-Wilderness/i-m5rcbQW/0/M/TRIP%20126%20004-M.jpg

MDSection12
05-09-2013, 12:40
Best advice is to carry a butt-heavy pack around 80-85 lbs as no one will be able to lift it.

Plus with that total weight I could carry a doberman in there to guard it. :)

Coffee
05-09-2013, 12:55

LOL ... One problem I have is that most of my gear is new including my pack so it might be a tempting target. I'm thinking of letting the pack get as dirty as I can stand to act as a disincentive to anyone thinking of stealing it and to make it look like the rest of my gear is worthless. Someone posted an idea of tying a disgusting looking bandana or dirty socks to the pack as well. I might try that. None of this is easy as I am generally a tidy person who likes to keep things in good order.

Tipi Walter
05-09-2013, 12:55
Plus with that total weight I could carry a doberman in there to guard it. :)

It's a good system unless the pack itself tips over onto your dog.

RED-DOG
05-09-2013, 13:04
LOL ... One problem I have is that most of my gear is new including my pack so it might be a tempting target. I'm thinking of letting the pack get as dirty as I can stand to act as a disincentive to anyone thinking of stealing it and to make it look like the rest of my gear is worthless. Someone posted an idea of tying a disgusting looking bandana or dirty socks to the pack as well. I might try that. None of this is easy as I am generally a tidy person who likes to keep things in good order.
It don't matter what your pack looks like if some one wants they will take it PERIOD.

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 13:05

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-Citico-Wilderness/i-m5rcbQW/0/M/TRIP%20126%20004-M.jpgI'd give that pack a parking ticket

Coffee
05-09-2013, 13:06
It don't matter what your pack looks like if some one wants they will take it PERIOD.

Right, the idea is to make them want it less.

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 13:11
A mercury switch with a piezo buzzer would be a good start....PM for schematic and materiel list.

Mrs Baggins
05-09-2013, 13:22
Maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference to a determined thief, but I always completely unpack and set up camp before I ever leave to find the water source. And I keep everything that is truly important (keys, phone, money, ID, etc) in a fanny pack that's on me. A thief would have to decide what to take as he/she couldn't gather up everything and walk off with it all - at least not without being pretty darned obvious about it. I've never left a pack to go search for water during a hike. I've always either had enough water to get thru the day or only stopped where the water was right alongside the trail. I have had to leave it outside of a business and that did worry me every second til I got back to it. If I'm with a group and there's a store to get some treats or a public restroom that needs to be used, then only a couple of people go to the store/restroom at a time and the rest stay behind to watch the packs.

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 13:28
Maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference to a determined thief, but I always completely unpack and set up camp before I ever leave to find the water source. And I keep everything that is truly important (keys, phone, money, ID, etc) in a fanny pack that's on me. A thief would have to decide what to take as he/she couldn't gather up everything and walk off with it all - at least not without being pretty darned obvious about it. I've never left a pack to go search for water during a hike. I've always either had enough water to get thru the day or only stopped where the water was right alongside the trail. I have had to leave it outside of a business and that did worry me every second til I got back to it. If I'm with a group and there's a store to get some treats or a public restroom that needs to be used, then only a couple of people go to the store/restroom at a time and the rest stay behind to watch the packs.That's the way I'd do it to, I just can't imagine being 1,000 miles from home, and leaving my very precious temporary home unattended....

FarmerChef
05-09-2013, 13:33
A mercury switch with a piezo buzzer would be a good start....PM for schematic and materiel list.

piezo buzzer? Try mercury switch and 20,000 volts? Now we're talking :banana

RED-DOG
05-09-2013, 13:38
That's the way I'd do it to, I just can't imagine being 1,000 miles from home, and leaving my very precious temporary home unattended....

A lot of people do without even thinking about it, it's a Rookie Mistake what ya bet he want make the same mistake twice.

FlyPaper
05-09-2013, 14:08

For me, this hinges on consequences of losing my gear versus effort to secure it, combined with an estimate of how likely a theft is to happen.

Most hiking scenarios I've been in, losing gear would extend into the "really sucks" category, but not the "life threatening" category. Generally, I'm more concerned about car keys, credit cards, drivers license, etc. I'm inclined to take my wallet out of my pack if I'm leaving, and I try not to leave something like a Steripen sitting around at the shelter. But I rarely feel the need to take my whole pack 0.2 miles off trail to a spring, and wouldn't hesitate to leave my pack at a shelter with several other hikers while I go for water.

Leaving my pack totally unattended at a shelter when there are many day hikers makes me a bit more nervous.

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 15:53
A lot of people do without even thinking about it, it's a Rookie Mistake what ya bet he want make the same mistake twice.Nope that's a losing bet...kind surprised they left the hike though.....I'd be beggin and borrowing gear to continue. In fact I have an extra pack and tent this person could use if anyone knows who this is......

maybe all there cash got takin to....that's a different story, can't be of much help there.

bfayer
05-09-2013, 16:14
Nope that's a losing bet...kind surprised they left the hike though.....I'd be beggin and borrowing gear to continue. In fact I have an extra pack and tent this person could use if anyone knows who this is......

maybe all there cash got takin to....that's a different story, can't be of much help there.

If it was me being back on the trail would only be a Walmart away. Would it be the gear I wanted, No, but as much of a gear dweeb that I am, hiking is about hiking not gear. Now if they lost all their money cash,debit cards, and ID, I can see getting off for long enough to get a replacement ID and a prepaid credit card.

I know that I am blessed and I don't carry my whole net worth in my pack, and that not everyone else out there is in my situation, but I would think just about anyone that is out on a long distance hike would be able to afford a Walmart pack, sleeping bag and tarp.

If this hiker was a thru hiker or long distance section hiker, and if anyone can contact them, let me know, I live in NOVA and have enough old gear in my basement to get them back on the trail. Not in Zpack style but good enough to walk north in this time of year.

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 16:20
If it was me being back on the trail would only be a Walmart away. Would it be the gear I wanted, No, but as much of a gear dweeb that I am, hiking is about hiking not gear. Now if they lost all their money cash,debit cards, and ID, I can see getting off for long enough to get a replacement ID and a prepaid credit card.

I know that I am blessed and I don't carry my whole net worth in my pack, and that not everyone else out there is in my situation, but I would think just about anyone that is out on a long distance hike would be able to afford a Walmart pack, sleeping bag and tarp.

If this hiker was a thru hiker or long distance section hiker, and if anyone can contact them, let me know, I live in NOVA and have enough old gear in my basement to get them back on the trail. Not in Zpack style but good enough to walk north in this time of year.There you go bfayer....plenty of people here to help......and that my friends is what "White Blaze" means to me.....help is here for the asking...that's why this place rocks!!!:)

Feral Bill
05-09-2013, 16:26
Are we sure the thief was two legged?

bfayer
05-09-2013, 16:50
Are we sure the thief was two legged?

In this particular area, most likely. Density of two legged critters is high, and four legged critters low.

1azarus
05-09-2013, 17:49

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-Citico-Wilderness/i-m5rcbQW/0/M/TRIP%20126%20004-M.jpg
...very funny! Which do you carry, the car or the pack?

Coffee
05-09-2013, 18:11
If it was me being back on the trail would only be a Walmart away. Would it be the gear I wanted, No, but as much of a gear dweeb that I am, hiking is about hiking not gear.

It has got to be a very demoralizing experience aside from the financial loss.

Mrs Baggins
05-09-2013, 19:53
In this particular area, most likely. Density of two legged critters is high, and four legged critters low.

It's 4/10's of a mile from the parking lot to the shelter. If someone was waiting and watching it would be pretty fast and easy to grab a pack and zip back to the parking lot (all downhill and level from there). What a sorry human that would do that.

BostonBlue
05-09-2013, 22:42
The medium is needed even for relatively small packs like the circuit and it weighs 1.5 pounds. Plus I'm not sure how much security that really buys given that it is rare to see a locked pack and therefore criminals would get curious about what it is that is valuable enough to lock up. And the thin lines are no match for a small bolt cutter.

X-Lg is 1 lb. 9 oz. Still thinking it over. Most folks who steal packs just act like the pack belongs to them. Unless someone recognizes the pack - they won't be questioned. If they are caught, how many hikers are able to hold the thief until the Police arrive?? Chances are they will run and it is pretty hard to follow with a pack. I don't think the average person stealing these packs is toting bolt cutters. Could be, but some deterrence probably better than none.

atmilkman
05-09-2013, 22:46
X-Lg is 1 lb. 9 oz. Still thinking it over. Most folks who steal packs just act like the pack belongs to them. Unless someone recognizes the pack - they won't be questioned. If they are caught, how many hikers are able to hold the thief until the Police arrive?? Chances are they will run and it is pretty hard to follow with a pack. I don't think the average person stealing these packs is toting bolt cutters. Could be, but some deterrence probably better than none.

I really feel for the guy. I hope he somehow gets it back. But it would be funny to put a pack with the above deterrent system on it and leave it somewhere and watch what happens. Might make for some good Youtube videos. Call it "bait pack".

Coffee
05-10-2013, 06:41
I really feel for the guy. I hope he somehow gets it back. But it would be funny to put a pack with the above deterrent system on it and leave it somewhere and watch what happens. Might make for some good Youtube videos. Call it "bait pack".

I think so. How many here have seen a locked up pack? It would be a curiosity for sure...

Old Hillwalker
05-10-2013, 07:02
Here is what I used in Europe when I had to leave my pack for short periods. I would run the cable through several of the equipment loops and then around a light pole, or metal railing. I made the assumption that pack thefts were usually a snatch and run situation. Taking the pack secured in this manner would require the use of a cutting tool to either cut the cable or carve up the pack which would take time and effort. It's not foolproof, but works well in areas where people would be alerted by such activity. 1.5 oz, and mine cost me $11. (Dakine Cable lock)21537

BostonBlue
05-10-2013, 08:48
Here is what I used in Europe when I had to leave my pack for short periods. I would run the cable through several of the equipment loops and then around a light pole, or metal railing. I made the assumption that pack thefts were usually a snatch and run situation. Taking the pack secured in this manner would require the use of a cutting tool to either cut the cable or carve up the pack which would take time and effort. It's not foolproof, but works well in areas where people would be alerted by such activity. 1.5 oz, and mine cost me $11. (Dakine Cable lock)21537

Super on the wt and price! Thanks.

squilax
05-10-2013, 09:12
It really stinks that there are such low lifes out there that think they can help themselves to anything that isn't theirs. I have to do the same thing when surf fishing. Stop to go into a tackle shop or restuarant and everything has to be locked up or it walks. sheesh.

Gray Blazer
05-10-2013, 10:36

I was trying to use one of those lockers in the train station in Paris, but, it wouldn't open. The nearby gypsy asked me for my coin (he was gonna help me get it open). I gave him the coin. He put it in his pocket and then proceeded to hit the lock in the right place and the locker opened up. As I walked away I was wondering what's to keep him from taking my stuff. Apparently they have a code that they won't steal from people who are poorer than them.

Preacher_68
05-11-2013, 08:37

I would be able to hold them until Police arrive, wait I am the Police:). Most people committing these snatch and grab kind of crimes are thieves of opportunity, they have to get it done quick because they run a high risk of being detected by someone. That being said there are some although probably a small percentage that carry tools of the trade so to speak, bolt cutters for example, but most are looking for a soft target where it can be done quickly and they can leave the area and blend back in. Sad that the guys stuff got stolen, hopefully he can replace what was lost or his pack will turn up.

Del Q
05-11-2013, 08:52
I am uber paranoid, just this year I started leaving my pack about 1/2 way down when I go for water, figure that if anyone comes that far they are also after water or I will catch them on my way up??

Was in Kent, CT.....store manager mostly followed me around the store, had my pack on, should have put it into their small carts...........I just kep talking to him, he said I would appreciate if you would leave your pack outside, I said just grabbing a few things and will be out of here in a minute. For some reason I did not want to give in.

Think that he was afraid of me shoplifting and/or being a bit out of place from his regular customers.

Having said that, in posh Hanover, brough my pack right into the bar, placed at my feet, never a word spoken.

If when I leave my pack it is stashed and hidden, everything in our life is in there

MuddyWaters
05-11-2013, 19:19
Things I have had stolen I never imagined anyone would take.

A childs $8 life jacket on a dock at a lake (confronted the guy and got it back as he was putting it in his truck)
An old , yellowed, stained , cheap 48 qt igloo taken out of a jeep at a boat landing
A sweaty, smelly chair I sat in at football practices and softball tournaments from the back of my truck

Im pretty sure based on my experiences, there are people out there that will take anything they can possibly get. It doesnt have to have value, they are just thieves by nature.

WalksInDark
05-11-2013, 19:52
I clearly and PROMINENTLY mark all of my gear. Some gear I mark in multiple locations --so I can spot my gear if it is coming or going away from me :rolleyes:. (This also makes it harder for folks to try to re-sell my gear on line or on EBay. For expensive gear, I also put laminated pieces of plastic with my name, address, e-mail address, and a toll free number on them.

For my most expensive gear, I also offer a reward for returning any gear I may have "misplaced."

Having had to deal with trying to get the police look for and/or return any of my gear which has been stolen...if it is not marked or somehow easily identified as belonging to you...all bets are off on getting it back.

Lastly, my gear stays in my sight...or it is well hidden well away from the trail or from any shelter areas. (P.S. If you sometimes hide your gear like I do....be sure to note landmarks near where your gear is hidden. Don't ask me to embarrass myself by telling you how I know this important tip! :datz

Additionally, I latch my hip belt, and/or sternum straps to the nearest small tree or post. It makes it pretty hard to just walk away with something...if you have to go to the trouble of having to unhook it before you can pick it up.

Lastly, when you carry stuff into the woods (I am not talking about expensive cuben, down items, ultra-lightweight stuff etc.) you need to have a life deductible...whereby you K N O W some stuff is going to break or get lost. I am just saying......

mrcoffeect
05-12-2013, 08:30
if the guy or gal nowadays, that stole the ops pack is able to unload that gear for even a little bit of cash, chances are they will return to were they stole the first pack, to try and score again. be on the alert in that area.

bfayer
05-12-2013, 08:48
if the guy or gal nowadays, that stole the ops pack is able to unload that gear for even a little bit of cash, chances are they will return to were they stole the first pack, to try and score again. be on the alert in that area.

If I had to guess it was more likely someone looking for prescription drugs than someone looking for gear. When cars and houses are broken into around here the first thing they go for is the medicine cabinet. Meds are worth their weight in gold. Backpacking gear not so much.

mrcoffeect
05-12-2013, 08:58
well when dealing junkies all bets are off. if it isnt nailed down they'll take it and try to sell or pawn whatever they can get their hands on. and yes even though its mothers day these kind of people would sell their own kin.

Don H
05-12-2013, 14:08

The guy that steals this pack will be easy to spot, he's the guy with the wheelbarrow!

RobUgly
05-15-2013, 18:45
Know alot of people that had their packs stolen on the AT. Its always comes down to the same scenario. ( They left their pack unintended. )