PDA

View Full Version : BMT Grand Opening - July 16-17

SGT Rock
07-10-2005, 11:10
BMT Grand Opening Celebration Weekend - July 16-17

Members, guests, and the general public are invited to join us for this once-in-a-lifetime event as we celebrate the completion and opening of the Benton MacKaye Trail.

After 25 years of all-volunteer effort, the trail is now open. This high-energy (and high-altitude) weekend is your opportunity to welcome a new long-distance trail into being and share food, fellowship, a hike, and/or a camping experience with like-minded people.

Camping will be available Friday (the 15th) and Saturday evenings at the USFS Rattler Ford Group Campground near (http://www.main.nc.us/graham/hiking/rangerhq.html) Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. (Access is near the eastern end of the Cherohala Skyway.)

Weekend activities will kick off at 11:00 AM Saturday morning with the grand opening ceremony at Mud Gap (http://www.telliquah.com/NCMap/NCMap.htm) (located on the Cherohala Skyway between Tellico Plains, Tennessee and Robbinsville, North Carolina, near the state line). After dignitaries have spoken, a biodegradable "ribbon" (a vine) cutting will take place to officially open the trail.

Two easy day hikes will go forth from there, one north and one south along the BMT. The southbound hike will be a loop to Whigg Meadow and back, the northbound, a one-way to Beech Gap. The cooler temperatures in these higher elevations should make for pleasant mid-summer outings.

Saturday evening back at Rattler Ford, there will be a Chili Supper with bonfire and entertainment following; all are welcome.

On Sunday, there are nearby hikes planned for the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, Slickrock Creek Wilderness, Hooper Bald, and to Maple Springs Observation Point.

Come spend the day or the entire weekend. Reservations are not required, but an RSVP would be appreciated at [email protected] ([email protected]). Be a part of Benton MacKaye Trail History! Put this weekend on your calendar now.

Anyone going?

MOWGLI
07-10-2005, 15:33
I'll be there Sarge, and look forward to seeing you.

Happy Feet
07-10-2005, 15:39
Hatman and I will be there!

SGT Rock
07-10-2005, 15:45
I look forward to seeing you again Little Bear. I'll be there with both my boys. I had a good time yesterday working and visiting with Hatman, Happy Feet, and the rest of the BMT crew on the Mud Gap work trip. I hope more of the WhiteBlazers can get down there for the group hikes. The view at Wigg Meadow is outstanding.

Hikerhead
07-10-2005, 17:02
It looks like I might be there. I'm staying at the Len Foote Hike Inn sun and monday night so swinging by the BMT dedication looks like a good stop on the way down.

Happy Feet
07-10-2005, 19:48
It looks like I might be there. I'm staying at the Len Foote Hike Inn sun and monday night so swinging by the BMT dedication looks like a good stop on the way down.Why not camp at Rattler Ford Group Campground with the BMT folks? Free camping, hot showers, chili supper, and entertainment around the campfire Sat. night?