PDA

View Full Version : all I need to know in life I learned from hiking the AT

elytis
05-08-2013, 21:37
On a recent section hike from Great Barrington MA to North Adams MA I started thinking about everything I have learned about life from the AT. Some of them are funny while others are true. Here are a few and feel free to add as I would like to see what ppl come up with.

-if the path is obvious or easy, you're on the wrong path.
-the path less traveled offers greater rewards
-Life is like the AT..it has its ups and downs and sections that make absolutely no sense.

wren again
05-08-2013, 21:47
I can do far more with far less than I ever imagined.

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 21:50
-when you think your at the top, there is a few more tops to go.

Old Hiker
05-09-2013, 07:44
-when you think your at the top, there is a few more tops to go.

Oh, man, that's Hump-Little Hump Mt all OVER again!! Although, FINALLY getting to the top to see Fatherman (he's important!) and entourage in a circle singing was really cool! I still have happy thoughts about how they tried to include me in their activities. Thanks again - FM, Bubblefoot, Mouse(?), Blueberry (?), et. al.

I learned that it's the flat, easy looking places that will bring you down if you aren't careful!

Rasty
05-09-2013, 08:06
On a recent section hike from Great Barrington MA to North Adams MA I started thinking about everything I have learned about life from the AT. Some of them are funny while others are true. Here are a few and feel free to add as I would like to see what ppl come up with.

-Life is like the AT..it has its ups and downs and sections that make absolutely no sense.

I thought life was like a box of chocolates? Now it's the AT? :)

aficion
05-09-2013, 08:10
'Appy, 'Appy, 'Appy!

BirdBrain
05-09-2013, 08:19
'Appy, 'Appy, 'Appy!

"What difference does it make?." "Death is part of life."

mrcoffeect
05-09-2013, 08:34
the smaller in circumference you dig your cat hole, the less likely you are to back peddle while pulling up your pants and step in it before you've had a chance to cover it up.

hikerboy57
05-09-2013, 08:42
after every downhill theres an uphill.
after every uphill, theres at least 2 or 3 more uphills.

hikerboy57
05-09-2013, 08:43
mountain weather forecast partly something, chance of anything.

hikerboy57
05-09-2013, 08:46
"its not the first mouse that gets the cheese, its the second."-grimm from uncle johnnies

hikerboy57
"you're doing it wrong"

hikerboy57
"its not about the kilometers, its about the smilometers."

hikerboy57
05-09-2013, 10:25
bears love lip balm and have been known to rip the lips off unsuspecting hikers as they pass.
make sure you hang your lip balm and bug juice youve been bathing in.
also, after brushing your teeth, smoke a cigar so the bears wont be attracted to your toothpaste scented breath

Spirit Bear
05-09-2013, 13:18

Great words there. I would also add, if you think your ditching work to hike the AT your mistaken, it's just a more rewarding kinda work.

keepinitsimple
05-09-2013, 13:34
Tend to little issue before they become big issues ( think rashes, hot spots, etc)

4shot
05-09-2013, 13:40
the climbs that you dread won't be near as bad as you had imagined. The ones that you don't think too much about will kick your rear end.

The slickest material in the entire universe is a wet tree root. The best invention in the history of the universe is either TP or the snickers bar, just depending on the moment.

The middle 800 miles of a thruhike will not be seen by the hiker due to the constant presence of gnats hovering 1 mm from the surface of the eye.

bugs are annoying.Tick's are pure evil.

Don't believe the guy in the shelter who says he doesn't snore. Set your tent up anyways, you will sleep better.

Ignoring the small pebble in your shoe or boot doesn't make it go away. deal with it as soon as possible.

George
05-09-2013, 14:24

-the path less traveled offers greater rewards-

yeah, but using the path less traveled will get you labeled as a blue blazer

4shot
05-09-2013, 15:51
yeah, but using the path less traveled will get you labeled as a blue blazer

not by anyone who actually is hiking. some of the stuff that gets kicked around on this site exists only on the internets.for example, nobody who was actually on the trail for 2 days, 2 weeks or 6 months has ever actually spoken the phrase "critique my gear list" to the best of my knowledge.

fiddlehead
05-09-2013, 21:27
Blowdowns are a part of life (trail), don't get mad, just start looking for a way around them.
Lack of news reporting (TV too) can make for an uncluttered mind
Less is more.
Exercise is good. (never get sick, eat all you want, a feeling of "I can do anything")
Silence is golden.
Water is soooooo important.
Having everything you own, literally on your back, is another mind freeing happening.
Nature is awesome! (and life's best medicine)
Learn to enjoy the weather, no matter what. (rain makes everything fresh, snow makes for beautiful scenery, deep blue sky makes for nice pictures, meteor showers look much better in the woods, etc.)
Washing machines are one of man's best inventions. (along with soap of course)

johnnybgood
05-09-2013, 23:01
When life's a beach,head for the mountains.

It's just over the next hill...

Pink Floyd makes a fine hiking companion.