PDA

View Full Version : Diminishing Returns

aficion
05-09-2013, 08:36
E-mailed Gator about a week ago requesting to unsubscribe. His reply was "welcome to the Hotel California". Seems I've found a trail I can't get off. What do all you fellow multi-:confused::confused::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: hued blazers think of this policy?

hikerboy57
05-09-2013, 08:48
E-mailed Gator about a week ago requesting to unsubscribe. His reply was "welcome to the Hotel California". Seems I've found a trail I can't get off. What do all you fellow multi-:confused::confused::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: hued blazers think of this policy?
you can check out any time you like.

but you can never leave.

coach lou
05-09-2013, 09:08
I don't understand....you want to unsubscribe, but you came back to this site and then posted a thread !????

HikerMom58
05-09-2013, 09:18

Same thing happened to me aficion. I wanted to get off this site so bad after I got beat up on my first thread. My hubby tried to get me off... he couldn't either. :mad:
As I was sitting around the table in Damascus with all my friends that I "met" through WB, I was really thankful that I couldn't get off the site.:banana

I've felt so insulted at times that I have wanted to remove myself again and again but the friends I've made, keep me here. You being one of them. :)

I think the reason you can't get off is b/c it would "mess" up the threads that one has posted in, thus disrupting the entire site. Making it look like swiss cheese or somethin. :eek: I don't know that for a fact but that's my guess.

I think you are a good person for this site. I think you should stay engaged. If you drop off, I for one, would miss you terribly. I'm SURE I'm not the only one that feels this way. I know I got a lil off the topic of your thread but that's how I feel.....

Deer Hunter
05-09-2013, 09:21
Same thing happened to me aficion. I wanted to get off this site so bad after I got beat up on my first thread. My hubby tried to get me off... he couldn't either. :mad:
As I was sitting around the table in Damascus with all my friends that I "met" through WB, I was really thankful that I couldn't get off the site.:banana

I've felt so insulted at times that I have wanted to remove myself again and again but the friends I've made, keep me here. You being one of them. :)

I think the reason you can't get off is b/c it would "mess" up the threads that one has posted in, thus disrupting the entire site. Making it look like swiss cheese or somethin. :eek: I don't know that for a fact but that's my guess.

I think you are a good person for this site. I think you should stay engaged. If you drop off, I for one, would miss you terribly. I'm SURE I'm not the only one that feels this way. I know I got a lil off the topic of your thread but that's how I feel.....

You're not.

10-K
05-09-2013, 09:25
I would guess the best way to get permanently removed would be to get banned by doing something totally outrageous.

Go for it... :)

But seriously, just log out and never visit again.. I'm a member of many forums.. If I don't like them I just quit typing the URL in my browser and pretty soon I've forgotten them.

FarmerChef
05-09-2013, 09:31
I can't speak for Gator or WB but forum postings are postings. Once they're in the archives they're there to stay. Otherwise, none of the threads would make sense after awhile as people came and went and their comments went with them. As for your account on Whiteblaze being "closed" I can't really speak to that since I'm not an admin here and don't know much about vbulletin. The easiest solution is just to log off and not log back in again, though I would encourage you update your password to some form of gobblydegook before you do.

That said, you would be missed.

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 09:40
E-mailed Gator about a week ago requesting to unsubscribe. His reply was "welcome to the Hotel California". Seems I've found a trail I can't get off. What do all you fellow multi-:confused::confused::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: hued blazers think of this policy?Well that sucks, didn't know that either. I guess the best you can do is edit back 15 days worth, put the key in the door and walk away.

+1 on the gobbledeegook password Farmer Chef

BirdBrain
05-09-2013, 09:48

Just go back and edit all you posts to ................. and walk away. I am close to doing just that myself. 'Gator is right. What he said is clearly spelled out on this site. I you want to leave, edit your account to remove every personal thing you can, change all your posts to ..............., and walk away. I might do the 1s 2 steps at some point, but doubt I will do the last one. I love the knowledge on this site. There is a lot of junk, but there is also some great tips.

coach lou
05-09-2013, 09:58

We toasted to those sentiments. To me the real friendships gleaned from here are the only thing that counts. We walk, we sleep, we boil water and we post........taking anything else from here is just not healthy.

aficion
05-09-2013, 09:59
I don't understand....you want to unsubscribe, but you came back to this site and then posted a thread !????

Consult Machiavelli and Miss Manners if you seek understanding.

hikerboy57
05-09-2013, 10:06
there are days i enjoy hiking alone, and days i enjoy hiking with others.

http://www.panhala.net/archive/the_guest_house.html.

do you understand?

hikerboy57
05-09-2013, 10:08
besides, aficion, i need you and birdbrain to help spread the joy.
you're good at it.

Chaco Taco
05-09-2013, 10:08
Account Deletions

We do not delete accounts on this web site. It is not that we cannot, it is because if we do it disrupts the thread content. Also if we delete your account and someone else logs on and uses the same user name that you have then other people may assume it is you.

I am not trying to sound rude because this is not how I mean this to come across but I do not know of any other way to stay it. If you do not want to participate in this web site no more than just do not log onto the web site any longer.

If you are not going to participate on the site any longer and want to stop receiving emails and private messages and any other traffic from this web site then you need to do the following steps.

Log onto the web site with your user name and password. Go to this URL http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions Make sure all the check marks are removed in all the questions in the “Messaging & Notification” options boxes Go to this URL http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/subscription.php If anything shows up under “Subscribed Threads in Folder” then you need to put a check mark in the box to the right for each item and scroll down towards the bottom of the page and click on the drop down box to the right of “Selected Threads” and click on “Delete Subscription” and then click GO. You need to do this until everything is removed.

If you do all these steps then you should not receive any traffic from this web site anymore.

kayak karl
05-09-2013, 10:09
posts on the internet last longer the graffiti on a shelter.

HikerMom58
05-09-2013, 10:15
We toasted to those sentiments. To me the real friendships gleaned from here are the only thing that counts. We walk, we sleep, we boil water and we post........taking anything else from here is just not healthy.

We did toast to that... it was special! :D

Communication is the best way to resolve things. Having said that, I'm lucky I'm a female cause I can express my feelings so easily without looking weak or somethin.... WM just tells me I need meds. ... IDK..... Misunderstanding is really behind most "things".

I'd say peeps have hurt feelings here....it's getting worse with each posting. :eek:

rocketsocks
05-09-2013, 10:22
Dr. Monkey to proctology...Dr. Monkey to proctology...

Kookork
05-09-2013, 10:24

I don't understand which part of what aficion did you don't understand coach.
Ps: My family name means" The one who understands" in Persian.:banana

To aficion: I respect your decision but want you to know that in short period of time that I came back to this forum I found you and your comments interesting and worthy to follow to say the least. I took a long vacation from this site but as you can see I came back. There is some sort of addiction to this site which is not a bad addiction.

Alligator
05-09-2013, 10:32
I gave you three options in my private message to you. The first one is as Chaco Taco describes. That requires you to exercise self-control. The second two were choices you could make and we could help you to implement them. However, you ignored using the first option and did not select from the other two.

The bit about Hotel California is a joke. I was also tempted to use the Godfather reference where he says "Just when I thought I was ought, they pull me back in." Oh well.

If you still can't exercise one, let me know and I will help you out with one of the other two.

For those interested,
this is #1

Account Deletions

We do not delete accounts on this web site. It is not that we cannot, it is because if we do it disrupts the thread content. Also if we delete your account and someone else logs on and uses the same user name that you have then other people may assume it is you.

I am not trying to sound rude because this is not how I mean this to come across but I do not know of any other way to stay it. If you do not want to participate in this web site no more than just do not log onto the web site any longer.

If you are not going to participate on the site any longer and want to stop receiving emails and private messages and any other traffic from this web site then you need to do the following steps.

Log onto the web site with your user name and password. Go to this URL http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions Make sure all the check marks are removed in all the questions in the “Messaging & Notification” options boxes Go to this URL http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/subscription.php If anything shows up under “Subscribed Threads in Folder” then you need to put a check mark in the box to the right for each item and scroll down towards the bottom of the page and click on the drop down box to the right of “Selected Threads” and click on “Delete Subscription” and then click GO. You need to do this until everything is removed.

If you do all these steps then you should not receive any traffic from this web site anymore.

this is basically # 2,

I can't speak for Gator or WB but forum postings are postings. Once they're in the archives they're there to stay. Otherwise, none of the threads would make sense after awhile as people came and went and their comments went with them. As for your account on Whiteblaze being "closed" I can't really speak to that since I'm not an admin here and don't know much about vbulletin. The easiest solution is just to log off and not log back in again, though I would encourage you update your password to some form of gobblydegook before you do.

That said, you would be missed.
This is sort of #3, we can time delay your ban if you have no self-control and want us to put your account in time out for a period of time. We will not abbreviate it though for any reason--that would just enable your addiction--so choose wisely.
10-K
I would guess the best way to get permanently removed would be to get banned by doing something totally outrageous.

Go for it... :)

But seriously, just log out and never visit again.. I'm a member of many forums.. If I don't like them I just quit typing the URL in my browser and pretty soon I've forgotten them.

Mags
05-09-2013, 10:56

This!

Just don't log on anymore. Problem solved for everyone. :)