PDA

View Full Version : Long trail

liv2play
07-10-2005, 15:42
Heading out to do the Long Trail some time this week, would like to do 25 miles or so per day, kind of going to wing it. I was wondering what might be some good easy resupply points along the way. I am not going to do any mail drops looking for maybe a hostel or possibly someplace cheap to stay and grocery store. Also any ideas about leaving my vehicle in North Adams Mass or close to the start?

Frosty
07-10-2005, 16:38
Heading out to do the Long Trail some time this week, would like to do 25 miles or so per dayThis would be an incredible feat to accomplish. Let us know know you made out.

Resupply is fairly easy. Going north you could stop at Manchester Center, about 60 miles from North Adams. At Route 4, about 110 miles is the Inn at Long Trail. Good food. THere is a bus that runs to Rutland that stops their, Inquire at Inn for schedule. There are other places up north to buy, at Route 2 and Johnson.

The Green Mountain Club (google for address) sends a Trail Guide and an End-to-Enders Guide.

Have you ever hiked any part of the Long Trail before?

liv2play
07-10-2005, 19:14
I have done the southern section twice, both times to Sherborne pass and the long trail Inn. If I can recall it seems doable does the trail get really gnarly north of that?

Frosty
07-10-2005, 19:37
I have done the southern section twice, both times to Sherborne pass and the long trail Inn. If I can recall it seems doable does the trail get really gnarly north of that?Yeah a bit, but if you can average 25 miles a day on the southern half, you won't have any trouble on the norhtern part.