PDA

View Full Version : Quick gear breakdown

Spirit Bear
05-09-2013, 13:21
Im still new at hiking, I am doing a 52 mile section hike soon and just uploaded a quick breakdown of my gear. Some good stuff some dumb stuff. Any feedback would be helpful of anything Im missing.

I added Anti-Chafing cream to my medical kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVQRd7eHzkY

Fruitt
05-09-2013, 20:45
I watched your video, looks like your on the right path with weight this time. What base weight is your pack? Im doing Springer to Nc, hopefully to NOC starting June 4th. Im giving myself ten days to get as far as I can. I'm carrying a base weight right at 20lbs and planning on only resupplying once. When are you starting?

Cybiker78
05-09-2013, 23:41
i'm also planning a short hike memorial weekend. it will be my 1st on the AT in a long time. I can only do short trips since im in the military and cant get that much time off to do the whole thing. good luck on your trip.

JackJack96
05-16-2013, 08:57
Cybiker78, what branch are you in?

BirdBrain
05-16-2013, 10:48
I too am planning a section hike (a little longer one). I would encourage you to pack your pack up like you think it will look like on day 1 and try it out in day hikes. Every shakedown I do I learn something new. I too, had everything in neat bags or sacks. I found them lumpy and hard to pack. I am down to a stuff sack for my bivy, one for my pad, and one for my food. I have a couple of zip locks for small stuff too. I also have a Hillshire Farms sandwich meat tupperwear style container for my hygiene kit (gone through numerous iterations and settled on this because of weight, size, and strength). It doubles as my sink for washing up. I find the soft stuff works well in filling all the voids if it is not in sacks. The other thing you will learn via shakedowns is where you put things. I have a few things that I want to get at without unpacking the pack. The rest can stay in the big plastic bag in the pack. JMHO