PDA

View Full Version : Hoodless Poncho???

diyguy
05-09-2013, 14:16
I am considering making a poncho. I'm considering a hoodless version to be worn with a hat (to save weight and for better ventilation), with just a collar to cinch up around the neck. Anyone have experience with this type of poncho? Will it work or will I be disappointed? Would love opinions.

Venchka
05-09-2013, 15:20
It may work if the hat you are wearing is also waterproof (probably heavier than the hood you omit). A waterproof hat may negate the ventilation aspects of a hood less poncho. Saving the weight of the hood falls into the category of "stupid light", IMHO. A close fitting ski cap type head gear and hood may be more versatile overall. My experience with a loose fitting hood was that it ventilates rather well. A wet head is not the smartest thing you can have in the wilderness.
YMMV.

Wayne

Venchka
05-09-2013, 15:24
ps: I think the perfect poncho would have a collar with a hood that can be stowed away in the collar behind a zipper. Windbreaker style jackets used to have this feature. Before "Hoodies" became fashionable.
I am a fan of the venerable backpackers poncho. Rain protection for me, my pack and emergency shelter.

Wayne

FarmerChef
05-09-2013, 15:46
I have to agree with Venchka. While you could cinch up the neck it would not release heat and that would get very hot inside in short order. Ventilation as well as water resistance are two keys of rain wear. The hat would only work to keep out rain if it was falling either straight down or only at a slight angle. Unless, of course, you were wearing a sombrero. :D In all seriousness, the hat would have to have a very wide brim and be waterproof. Even then, I doubt you'd get a perfect seal on your neck and rain would still trickle down in. All that said, I've never done it. I've only ever used hooded ponchos and if the rain is just driving I'm usually heading for cover until it returns to a reasonable rate.

daddytwosticks
05-10-2013, 07:31
Hoodless poncho and wear one of those umbrella hats! :)

Wise Old Owl
05-10-2013, 08:09
its a nice idea - but the weight of a hood is very small, When I use the poncho as a tarp the hood is cinched up to prevent rain coming in, a common sil nylon tarp can be purchased cheaply enough... its not exactly a DIY project

moytoy
05-10-2013, 09:31
The only reason I would consider taking a poncho is that it is versatile. If you don't put a hood on it then the use of it as a shelter goes away. So much modern ul equipment now that makes the poncho "old school". I'm not saying that "old school" is bad.

Gray Blazer
05-10-2013, 09:32
The only reason I would consider taking a poncho is that it is versatile. If you don't put a hood on it then the use of it as a shelter goes away. So much modern ul equipment now that makes the poncho "old school". I'm not saying that "old school" is bad.

I thought that was your trail name.

moytoy
05-10-2013, 09:38
I thought that was your trail name.
hehe...you would be the only one on this forum who knows I'm much older than I say. :)

Gray Blazer
05-10-2013, 09:43
What were you thinking? I was thinking "Poncho". ;)

Venchka
05-10-2013, 16:02

Enlighten me. I can't find my antique REI Backpackers Pncho. Before I spring another poncho, what UL gear is out there that will do the following:
Hiker rain protection
Backpack rain protection
Hiker & backpack rain shelter if not hiking
Shade for hiker & backpack
I'm sure there are probably more uses for a good poncho.

Wayne

Mags
05-10-2013, 16:32

Headless poncho? Could be good, bad or ugly.

leaftye
05-10-2013, 19:28
Eliminating the hood may make the poncho unusable as a tarp unless that collar is made to close completely and serve as a guy out point. I do understand wanting to get rid of the hood though. Wearing a hood causes my eyeglasses to fog up instantly. The tunnel vision and distorted hearing within a hood is terrible too. Fortunately I usually carry a sun umbrella, so I just use that in the rain too.

moytoy
05-10-2013, 21:51
Enlighten me. I can't find my antique REI Backpackers Pncho. Before I spring another poncho, what UL gear is out there that will do the following:
Hiker rain protection
Backpack rain protection
Hiker & backpack rain shelter if not hiking
Shade for hiker & backpack
I'm sure there are probably more uses for a good poncho.

Wayne
You are correct, the poncho does all those things and no other gear that I know of does. My point was simply that the UL gear that's now available can supplant the poncho without adding much weight. I used a poncho for years in the summer time. To me the poncho does a lot of things but does nothing great. One other thing you can add to the list of things the poncho does is collect water to drink during a rain.
Gear is very personal, you ask a question about the poncho and I responded with my opinion. I still say a poncho without a hood is not as versatile.

Venchka
05-10-2013, 22:43
Thanks for the tip about collecting water. I will remember that.
I will begin my search for a hi-tech, UL, modern, old school, multi-function poncho. With a hood.

Wayne

Sandy of PA
05-11-2013, 16:03
Z-Packs has just the thing, sold as a groundsheet poncho.