PDA

View Full Version : cash debit card or check useable ???

henry g wilgo
05-10-2013, 06:55
wondering if i can carry less cash,,knowing it is always necessary.

can you use a debit card, same as a check

i plan on carying a credit card also,,,,but would
LIKE TO CARRY LESS CASH,,,,

FEAR OF LOSING IT....OR WORSE,,,GETTING ROBBED/

STARTING MAY 20

Don H
05-10-2013, 07:27
Most places you deal with will take a credit card.
If you want cash from the Post Office they only take a debit card.
Some hostels only take cash.
Expect to pay shuttle drivers in cash.
I found many ATM machines in Maine empty.
Many stores will give you "cash back" when you make a purchase. That's how I resupplied with cash. It avoids the ATM charges.

Hope this helps, enjoy your hike!

FarmerChef
05-10-2013, 08:31
Most places you deal with will take a credit card.
If you want cash from the Post Office they only take a debit card.
Some hostels only take cash.
Expect to pay shuttle drivers in cash.
I found many ATM machines in Maine empty.
Many stores will give you "cash back" when you make a purchase. That's how I resupplied with cash. It avoids the ATM charges.

Hope this helps, enjoy your hike!

What he said. I usually carry a small amount of money (enough to get me a ride to an ATM and pay the driver) for those times when I'm surprised by a place that doesn't have cash. Otherwise, plan a few days ahead and then hit an ATM or grocery store when you're in town for what you think you'll need. Many places take credit cards (including several hostels) as well. It shouldn't be a problem.

moldy
05-10-2013, 08:33
I noticed on my last section hike that the 2 small hotels I stayed at in Pa and NY gave me a better price when I gave them cash. In this section of the trail there are plenty of places to spend money so a bit of extra cash will come in handy. Few places will not accept my debit card and almost every large grocery will give cash back. I say use your debit card and keep a small stash.