PDA

View Full Version : looking for the name of the smaller directions for AT

trailchick
05-10-2013, 10:21
Hi,
I met several thru hikers last year while doing a section hike. I was carrying the AT guide book, which is more in weight and had more info than what I needed. The thru hiker friends had very nice, lighter weight paper sheets , and you can order them on line... of course I do not know what its called and now I need them. It was very nice, less weight, and had miles of the AT , from shelter to shelter and such...perfect! I am looking for CT to WV.
anyone know the name of this so I can research it and buy it?
Thanks

FarmerChef
05-10-2013, 10:28
There are two guides: the Companion by Sly and the AT Guide by Awol. You will see both on the trail though I have mostly seen Awol's guide as it is smaller and more compact. There are pros and cons to both so I would recommend you take a look at both and make your decision from there. Both have trail mileages from shelter to shelter and both tell you about waypoints, towns, resupplies, etc. Both can be ordered in loose leaf so you can just print/take what you need for a particular section, bouncing or mailing the rest up the trail.

Storm
05-10-2013, 10:31
You can buy detailed maps of each section from the ATC. I believe they have a small guide with each section too, not sure, haven't used them.

trailchick
05-10-2013, 10:32
YES! thank you so much FarmerChef. It just rang a bell, the Awol guide is what he was using. You just helped me cross something off my list today, Thanks!

moldy
05-10-2013, 11:05
Are you sure that they did not have the AT Data Book? Check it out.

trailchick
05-10-2013, 11:07
Yes, I am sure...as soon as he named it, a light bulb went off and I knew that was the dirrections these folks were carrying. I was just on the Awols websight and watched a very cool video. I am going to order the loose leaf one, so I can just take the sheets needed and save the rest for another day. Yay!

bigcranky
05-10-2013, 14:19
They might have been using the Pocket Profiles that Tinman sells. They are pretty cool, though of course at 4g each they are limited in the total info they can provide.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/pocket-profile-elevation-profile-maps.html

bigcranky
05-10-2013, 14:24
Also, I have the loose leaf AT Guide from a couple of years ago, and it's great -- but I just bought the PDF download and it's much better.

1. It's half the price at only $8

2. You can print the pages that you need for a section hike.

3. You can re-print those pages when you inevitably lose or destroy them on a hike. (Well, I do that anyway.)

4. You can make your own map/profile/data pages for a specific hike, using the Guide PDF pages the Google Maps centerline from Postholer. For my upcoming 130 mile section, I have all the maps on two letter-size pages, front and back (and laminated), and about a dozen pages printed from the AT Guide, 2-per-page and double sided. I could have put the maps on one side and the Guide pages on the other, had I wanted.

bigcranky
05-10-2013, 14:26
OK, after this I'll shut up. :) The PDF download of the Companion is also excellent, and in my mind easier to use. Also, the Companion data can be cut and pasted into a spreadsheet and rearranged as needed. I couldn't do that with the Guide. This helps if you're creating your own maps and data for a hike.

Trillium
05-10-2013, 17:17
Yes, I LOVE the pdf download of the Companion!!! Only carrying the pages I need at a time. Daughter mailing the pages in mail drops to me. Since the pages print in about 4 x 6 format and I printed them on 8-1/2 x 11, there is plenty of room to make notes on my trip in the margins.

Trillium
05-10-2013, 17:18
Additionally, by ordering the Companion, you are supporting ALDHA.

trailchick
05-10-2013, 17:26
Thanks, this info is very helpful.

fredmugs
05-11-2013, 07:55
I also use the thru hikers companion but instead of bringing it with me I make an excel file showing things I want to know (water, camping, roads, etc) with mile markers and elevation. Then I can pretty much everything I need on a single sheet of paper. Also - if you have/bring a kindle you can place the entire file on there plus have stuff to read at night.