PDA

View Full Version : Is this a confusing sign?

moldy
05-10-2013, 11:58
On a recent section hike on the AT in PA I came across this big yellow sign posted by the State "STATE "GAME LANDS APPALACHIAN TRAIL, Overnight camping permitted for thru hikers walking the Appalachian Trail from point of the beginning to an exit area which is not the place of beginning. " Gee, I wonder if I can camp here? This is why civil servants should not be allowed to drink alcohol on the job.

atmilkman
05-10-2013, 12:00
Here's your sign.

max patch
05-10-2013, 12:12
Whoever did the sign obviously isn't a hiker so they merely copied the language of the statute, which wasn't the best idea in the world.

The meaning of the sign is clear to me.

ajwatson
05-10-2013, 12:23
Overnight camping permitted for thru hikers walking the Appalachian Trail from point of the beginning to an exit area which is not the place of beginning

So does this mean yo-yo'ers aren't thru-hikers in the eyes of the law?

rocketsocks
05-10-2013, 13:05
21539This is a sign on the PA side of the water gap...Sorry, but if I'm section hiking....I'm staying under the auspices of thru-hiking this section...oh the ambiguity...

The Greenman
05-10-2013, 13:24
Was on the trail in upstate NY last yr. - an official sign had "Apalachian" spelled with one "p". At least the spelling is correct.

rocketsocks
05-10-2013, 13:54
Was on the trail in upstate NY last yr. - an official sign had "Apalachian" spelled with one "p". At least the spelling is correct.yeah, but how was it pronounced :D

rickb
05-10-2013, 16:19
Whoever did the sign obviously isn't a hiker so they merely copied the language of the statute, which wasn't the best idea in the world.

The meaning of the sign is clear to me.

Good points, but I think it's better for a sign maker to copy a statute word for word try to simplify things to make everything fit. Some of the Forest Protection Area signs in the Whites make blanket statements about camping distances required away from trails and water that are simply not in the code. One of the best signs on the AT is the one near the national zoo land that says trespassers will be eaten, I think.