PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail to Philadelphia

Tree Nerd
05-10-2013, 12:31
So how close does the AT come to Philadelphia? I have a great aunt that lives there, whom I have not seen in many years, but we keep in contact via email and I would like to stop by and see her while I'm in PA. Any suggestions for shuttles or know of anyone on the forum that lives in the Phili area?

Thanks much!

Cookerhiker
05-10-2013, 12:51
There's bus service from Delaware Water Gap and Port Clinton but I'd recommend getting AMTRAK from Harrisburg. When you reach Duncannon, ask about shuttles into Harrisburg at the Doyle. Chances are Trail Angel Mary can shuttle you. I didn't look it up but I believe there are several trains a day into Philly.

Cookerhiker
05-10-2013, 12:54
Here you go: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/904/511/Keystone-Service-Schedule-050613.pdf

Lyle
05-10-2013, 12:59
My guess, without checking a map would be the Port Clinton/Hamburg area would be one option. Probably about an hour and a half drive if I'm recalling correctly. When I lived in New Jersey, just across the river from Philly, this is the area I went to most often.

If relying on public transportation, perhaps the Gettysburg/Harrisburg (Duncannon) area would be better. Also, the NE extension of the PA Turnpike passes real close to Lehigh Gap (Palmerton). But doubt there would be public transport. It's about 70 miles, so a little over an hour drive.

I'm sure some others, with more recent knowledge (and clearer recollections) will be along shortly.

Tree Nerd
05-10-2013, 13:00
Thanks cookerhiker!

joshuasdad
05-10-2013, 13:34
Most flexible route would be to take frequent NJ Transit and SEPTA commuter trains from Harriman, NY area down to Philadelphia (need to transfer from NJ Transit to SEPTA in Trenton, NJ).

Fastest route would be to have your aunt pick you up near Lehigh Gap, or rent a car near there and drive.

There is also a bus near Lehigh Gap (from Lehighton). http://www.susquehannabus.com/schedules.asp

JansportD2
05-10-2013, 13:48
You can get a Capital Area Transit bus on weekday mornings to Harrisburg from the Clark's Ferry Park and Ride - just beyond Duncannon - the AT goes through the parking lot.

http://www.cattransit.com/routepdfs/jan11/Route_23_Millersburg.pdf

From Harrisburg you can take Amtrak or Megabus to Philadelphia. (Megabus leaves from the Harrisburg Mall).

Tree Nerd
05-10-2013, 13:59
Thanks for all the input guys and the different options!

Fastest route would be to have your aunt pick you up near Lehigh Gap, or rent a car near there and drive.

I would do this, but she is very old and paralyzed from the waist down and hasn't been able to drive for many years now.

moldy
05-11-2013, 11:43
About 1 mile East of the AT at Port Clinton is a Cabela's store. The local bus(Barta) will take you from Cabela's to Reading PA for $1.90. The bus runs about 1 per hour. In Reading you can take the Bieber bus to Philly for about 12 bucks.

Tree Nerd
05-11-2013, 18:24
About 1 mile East of the AT at Port Clinton is a Cabela's store. The local bus(Barta) will take you from Cabela's to Reading PA for $1.90. The bus runs about 1 per hour. In Reading you can take the Bieber bus to Philly for about 12 bucks.

Good stuff! Thats more my price range!

Trillium
05-11-2013, 18:30
No suggestions but others have covered your question. I just wanted to salute you for making plans to stop in and see your Great Aunt. Kudos!

Tree Nerd
05-11-2013, 18:42
No suggestions but others have covered your question. I just wanted to salute you for making plans to stop in and see your Great Aunt. Kudos!

Thanks dude! She is really old and who knows what I will be doing after I get off the trail. This may be my last chance to see her! Might as well take what life gives me!

rocketsocks
05-11-2013, 18:55
You starting on Monday?......have a great hike Tree Nerd

Tree Nerd
05-11-2013, 19:21
You starting on Monday?......have a great hike Tree Nerd

Start on the 27th. Board my bus on the 25th. I leave from KY to go to OH then to VA for Trail Days, then back to KY till I start. Thanks though.

Cookerhiker
05-11-2013, 20:42

Thanks dude! She is really old and who knows what I will be doing after I get off the trail. This may be my last chance to see her! Might as well take what life gives me!

No biggie, but Trillium is a dudette.:)

Tree Nerd
05-11-2013, 21:39
No biggie, but Trillium is a dudette.:)

Word....sorry Trillium!

Trillium
05-12-2013, 20:01
Word....sorry Trillium!Not a problem. Happy Hiking!