PDA

View Full Version : The adventure starts tomorrow

squirrely
05-10-2013, 19:25
Tomorrow I head to Springer to start what I hope will be the first of many section hikes. I will be on trail for a month and I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous. This is probably the biggest thing I've ever tried to do.

Any last minute advice?

Bags4266
05-10-2013, 19:27
I just got back. From Springer to erwin. It's been unseasonably cold. Other than that light is right.

squirrely
05-10-2013, 19:41
Should I bring gloves or is that overkill?

johnnybgood
05-10-2013, 19:59
Put more emphasis on going slow at the start, adding more mileage after a week or so. Your body will let you know when that time comes. Keep your pack light and enjoy the sights,sounds,and smells of the great outdoors.

Also,don't overthink things. Learn to trust your instincts.

Without saying, well I'll say anyway ,... above all ,have fun.

rocketsocks
05-10-2013, 20:00
try to avoid all the last min. "I need this" packing, your ready, you can do it...have a great hike!

squirrely
05-10-2013, 20:10
try to avoid all the last min. "I need this" packing, your ready, you can do it...have a great hike!

Funny you mention that because I have been avoiding this all week! I'm quite sure I will be sending home some things in Suches.

rocketsocks
05-10-2013, 20:19
Funny you mention that because I have been avoiding this all week! I'm quite sure I will be sending home some things in Suches.I too have this type thinking when ever I pack for any trip/hike/vacation or what ever...but I'm getting better thanks to white blaze :)

hikerboy57
05-10-2013, 20:24
dont worry.things will work out. the more experience you have being "out in it" the more comfortable you'll become being "out in it".
dont carry to much water, you should have plenty of sources after all the rain we had. i never carried more than a liter.
snack all day. it'll fuel the furnace and get you up those hills.
the best plan is no plan. see what the trail has to offer every day. there were days i hiked 20 miles and days i hiked 6.days i took breaks every hour and days i hiked straight through the day.

rocketsocks
05-10-2013, 20:46
Funny you mention that because I have been avoiding this all week! I'm quite sure I will be sending home some things in Suches.Ya know to my way of thinking...I'd bring those gloves and see how the trip shapes up...and if your not using them....send em. Just didn't want my last comment on the "I need this" to be construed as not taking the gloves...if gloves are the only item your on the fence about, well...they don't weigh that much, and again, you can always send em. However, if you decide not to bring them, your extra pair of socks I'm told will suffice in a pinch. again have a great hike.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-10-2013, 20:58
Have a wonderful time! I can't wait to start off a section from Springer. Snacktime, Strife and I are hoping for mid April next year!

MuddyWaters
05-10-2013, 22:06
Relax.

You are not going on a month long hike.

You are just going on a several short 3-5 day hikes in a row.

Take each small section at a time.

Take it one day at a time.

Nothing to it.

Do what you feel like doing.

Most of all , enjoy yourself, thats why you are there.

BuckeyeBill
05-10-2013, 22:54
have a great hike

fredmugs
05-11-2013, 07:41
Should I bring gloves or is that overkill?

I normally bring a pair of light gardening gloves. Just enough to keep the cold off if you need that and they are tacky in the front to help grip poles if you need that. You'll probably still have a chilly morning or two.

msupple
05-11-2013, 08:00
Relax.

You are not going on a month long hike.

You are just going on a several short 3-5 day hikes in a row.

Take each small section at a time.

Take it one day at a time.

Nothing to it.

Do what you feel like doing.

Most of all , enjoy yourself, thats why you are there. Good advice. And yes take some light weight gloves.

mrcoffeect
05-11-2013, 09:48
the best plan is no plan. see what the trail has to offer every day. there were days i hiked 20 miles and days i hiked 6.days i took breaks every hour and days i hiked straight through the day.

this is how I went about it, the best plan is no plan. Every morning I woke up on the trail was like Christmas morning. you never know what your going to get. when you are hiking trail that you have never hiked before, every mountain or stream or view point or new friend is like unwrapping a present that you didn't know you were going to get. Man I miss being on the trail.

hikerboy57
05-11-2013, 09:54
this is how I went about it, the best plan is no plan. Every morning I woke up on the trail was like Christmas morning. you never know what your going to get. when you are hiking trail that you have never hiked before, every mountain or stream or view point or new friend is like unwrapping a present that you didn't know you were going to get. Man I miss being on the trail.
youre not the only one. im not home a week,already digging catholes in the backyard.im even saving my clean clothes for town.

coach lou
05-11-2013, 09:56
youre not the only one. im not home a week,already digging catholes in the backyard.im even saving my clean clothes for town.
You could have worn them for the ride home!:rolleyes:

hikerboy57
05-11-2013, 09:59
You could have worn them for the ride home!:rolleyes:
i did............

coach lou
05-11-2013, 10:08
i did............

Burn them all.....next cat hole:eek:

hikerboy57
05-11-2013, 10:11
Burn them all.....next cat hole:eek:

Helps keep the bears away.havent seen one since i got back.

coach lou
05-11-2013, 10:15
Helps keep the bears away.havent seen one since i got back.

.....but have you seen Matt since?:)