PDA

View Full Version : Ride to Maine - looking for driver or riders

Jberczel
05-10-2013, 19:31
Hello,

My current plan is to start SOBO thru-hike in early June from Katahdin. I plan to take my korean jindo (30 lbs), so doesn't look like bus is option, and I don't want to take her in airplane cargo. I live in Fairfax, Va.

I'd like to meet up with anyone driving who has extar seats available, or anyone who needs a ride, in which case, we can rent a car, drive to Bangor, and shuttle to Millinocket/BSP.

Please let me know if you anyone out there is interested. Also had one response in 'hooking up' thread of a possible driver in PA.

Thank you.

Coosa
05-13-2013, 21:32
You do know you will have to board the dog so you can hike up/back Katahdin and hike thru the Smokies?

REGULATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS
Dogs are NOT ALLOWED in three areas along the Trail:
Baxter State Park, Maine
Bear Mountain State Park Trailside Museum and Wildlife Center, New York—alternate road walk is available
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee and North Carolina

http://appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/hiking-with-dogs

Donde
05-14-2013, 04:25
I'll be heading out from Burke in early June. If you get this together and it would cost me less than the $80 I'm looking at for the bus shoot me a note here.

Coosa- I know from other threads that he is aware of that, and has been looking at kennels, so that concern may be laid to rest for this thread (it was my first thought as well).:)

Jberczel
05-14-2013, 14:11
Donde, Sent you a pm.

dawnthan
04-12-2015, 20:19
Depending on when Katahdin opens I might be in the same boat. I'm trying to start after I graduate college (May 16th), but Maine might not open until June... I'm in PA and can get to I95 rather easily.