PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lions?

tolkien_madness
05-11-2013, 00:52
Hey all. I'm new to the cite and planning a CT thru hike starting late this June. I've been wandering through the CT Forum and haven't found any info on the mountain lion activity surrounding the trail. I'm going to be solo hiking (not too many people willing to take six weeks out of their life to go backpacking;)), so I figured it would be worth checking up on. So: any stories? Close encounters?

fiddlehead
05-11-2013, 04:56
Not on the Colorado trail, although I saw 2 on the PCT thru the years.
Only one was close.
I understand they have never attacked anyone with a pack on. They are not sure what that pack means I guess.
They only attack when cornered or are assured of victory (before the fight) apparently.
Consider yourself lucky if you see one.
Have fun on your hike. It's a nice trail.

Dogwood
05-11-2013, 12:18
Hey all. I'm new to the cite and planning a CT thru hike starting late this June. I've been wandering through the CT Forum and haven't found any info on the mountain lion activity surrounding the trail. I'm going to be solo hiking (not too many people willing to take six weeks out of their life to go backpacking;)), so I figured it would be worth checking up on. So: any stories? Close encounters?

"....and haven't found any info on the mountain lion activity surrounding the trail."

I'll give you one reasonable guess WHY. It's RARE to KNOWINGLY(:D) have a Mountain Lion experience as a hiker even in Colorado. It's even RARER to be attacked or killed by one. Even with THE MANY Coloradans who have been increasingly going into the wilderness( or Mountain Lion areas) in droves, in the past 23 yrs there have been only two confirmed deaths and one suspected death from Mountain Lion attacks in the state. Mountain Lion attacks can happen though so here's some info on Mountain Lions and what you can do to protect yourself from being attacked. Personally, I would be more concerned with being attacked by another human than a Mountain Lion.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2002/2002-08-05-03.html

The only things I would add to that article are limit or don't hike solo at night AND it's not generally a wise idea to RUN if encountering a Mountain Lion. It's usually folks who are moving fast like solo trail runners, and sometimes bicyclists, and small people like children that have been separated from others in their group and wandering away domesticated pets that are attacked.

Mags
05-11-2013, 12:47
In Colorado, you are more likely to see a mountain lion in the foothills than where the CT generally goes through.

There may be some mountain lion activity near the Denver portion of the trail, but that's going to be very rare.

Feral Bill
05-11-2013, 13:21
Almost anywhere in the west, mountain lions are common, if rarely seen. Incidents are few. Be careful but don't worry.

Dogwood
05-11-2013, 14:05
As Mags said you MAY be more likely to see a Mountain Lion in the vicinity of Boulder than on the CT. I hear they are attracted to all the vegetarian types who frequent the Boulder Farmer's Market and those yappy snappy little lap Toy Group of dogs. Did you know the preferred meal for a Boulder vicinity Puma is a waddling short rotund white skinned female with a Shih Tzu? It's a well known scientific fact!

bearcreek
05-11-2013, 18:01
We have them in Durango. I grew up in Colorado anf I have seen them twice over many years. First time was near Jamestown (front range) years back, when one moved into the area and started devouring pets. The other, more recent time was on a bike trail inside the Durango city limits. There are occasional incidents around here. A woman was bitten by one while having a cocktail on her deck on the edge of town, but her husband intervened and they ran it off. The DOW exterminated a pair of year old ones that were snacking on backyard pets not too long ago. The wildlife folks thought they had been born in town and grew up with no fear of humans.

I don't know of any incidents ever involving hikers on the CT. (The trail is safe. Just be careful in the towns.....)

frogchop
05-11-2013, 19:32
I've seen two in my 47 years in the outdoors, one was in the North Cascades National Park, one was crossing Rampart Range Road near a campsite where some %&$%@! chained up their dogs near their campsite while they went out motorcycling (I'm certain the mountain lion was looking for an easy meal before we drove by). There was a crew putting in a new trail in the Buffalo Creek area a couple summers ago and a mountain lion watched the crew all summer long (spooky), but no confrontations, more of a cat-like curiosity. They ended up naming the trail "Nice Kitty". :)

There's also rumored to be wolves in the La Garita Wilderness Area, but again, I've never heard of any confrontations or attacks. There's no doubt there are things that will spook you on the trail, but you're probably a lot safer on the trail from animal attack than you are on your daily commute. IMHO, the greatest risk to loss of life on the CT is lightning, but that can be mitigated to a large degree by getting an early start to your day and careful campsite selection.

Mags
05-11-2013, 19:42
Did you know the preferred meal for a Boulder vicinity Puma is a waddling short rotund white skinned female with a Shih Tzu? It's a well known scientific fact!

Change the rotund female to "girl in yoga pants on the way to the Shambahla center" and that's about right... ;)

Mags
05-11-2013, 19:48
Did you know the preferred meal for a Boulder vicinity Puma is a waddling short rotund white skinned female with a Shih Tzu? It's a well known scientific fact!

Change the rotund female to "girl in yoga pants on the way to the Shambahla center" and that's about right... ;)

McPick
05-11-2013, 23:13
"So: any stories? Close encounters?"

From the ancient history department... Mrs. McPick and I were camped for the summer of '74 in the Junction Creek area, west of Durango. I was in town. She and our large Irish Setter dog were lazing around d the camp. She was sitting in a chair reading. The dog was sleeping at her side. Suddenly she saw movement out of the corner of her eyes. She shifted her eyes and saw a large mountain lion enter our campsite. She didn't move and the dog did not wake up. As she watched, the lion walked right through our camp, heading west, towards the La Plata Mts. When I returned to camp that afternoon, she showed me where the lion had walked through camp and pointed the direction it had taken. As we gazed west, a flock of wild turkeys came running out of the forest. (That was the only time I ever saw turkeys in Colorado.) Quite a day for nature, eh?

More recently, I was on the CT in '09, east of Breckenridge. As I recall, there was a long ridge, but it wasn't above tree line. The trail up there was frequently used by hikers and Mt bikers. There hadn't been rain for weeks and the trail was mostly just fine dirt. As I walked along, I glanced down and saw a large mountain lion paw print in the dirt. It was absolutely perfect. I stopped and studied it for several minutes. Additionally, I immediately had that eerie feeling I was being watched. (This is when you start hearing the music from "Jaws" in you mind, right?...) My thoughts of camping in one of the lovely meadows along that ridge vanished.

A minute later, a guy rode up the trail on his mt bike. I greeted him as he rolled up and waved my hand. "Hey, take a look at this," I said pointing to the paw print. He got off the bike and bent over. I could tell when he realized what he was looking at by the way his head jerked down for a closer look. "Whoa," he said... "That's pretty big." I raised my eyebrows and nodded in agreement. "Wanna trade your bike for my pack?" I quipped. He laughed and jumped back on his bike. "How about twenty bucks and the pack?" I said earnestly. He shook his head. "Fifty?" "Be careful up here," he advised as he road off. "OK, but can I at least have a ride," I called after him, not caring that he was going the wrong direction...

I decided to put some distance between me and that paw print before I had to make camp. Soon the trail took a sharp left turn and started down the mountain. I remember numerous switchbacks but no place to camp. I guess I was about half way down the mountain when I noticed a narrow tail leading slightly up from one of the switchbacks in front of me into the forest. I followed that trail up a short distance and came upon a really sweet flat spot. Perfect for camping that night and thank goodness, because it was getting dark. I set up camp, had dinner, and crawled into my tent and bag, knowing I be in Breck the next day.

Think for a moment, if you will, about the kind of lightening that flashes across the sky. You know, those big flashes that have seemingly millions of small bolts zipping out from the main body that go on and on? Well that's what the adrenalin felt like blasting through me when I was awakened about 2 AM by the sharp sound of a large stick breaking near my tent. I was instantly awake and alert. I knew I as not alone. I strained my ears listening for any sound. Another stick snapped... Closer... Adrenalin flashed through me again. I was instantly covered with "goose bumps." I grabbed my cook pot and lid and began making as much noise as I could. What ever it was, bolted.

Needless to say, I will never know what was outside my tent. But I will tell you that I didn't get much more that night. Thanks for the memory!

Dogwood
05-12-2013, 01:06
Those Boulder Pumas like tasty street performers too.

Kookork
05-12-2013, 01:24
I've seen two in my 47 years in the outdoors, one was in the North Cascades National Park, one was crossing Rampart Range Road near a campsite where some %&$%@! chained up their dogs near their campsite while they went out motorcycling (I'm certain the mountain lion was looking for an easy meal before we drove by). There was a crew putting in a new trail in the Buffalo Creek area a couple summers ago and a mountain lion watched the crew all summer long (spooky), but no confrontations, more of a cat-like curiosity. They ended up naming the trail "Nice Kitty". :)

There's also rumored to be wolves in the La Garita Wilderness Area, but again, I've never heard of any confrontations or attacks. There's no doubt there are things that will spook you on the trail, but you're probably a lot safer on the trail from animal attack than you are on your daily commute. IMHO, the greatest risk to loss of life on the CT is lightning, but that can be mitigated to a large degree by getting an early start to your day and careful campsite selection.

You have 47 years of outdoor experience yet you are 46 years old? Is calendar year in CO shorter than other parts of the world?:welcome

T.S.Kobzol
05-12-2013, 09:11
Raised by wolves

You have 47 years of outdoor experience yet you are 46 years old? Is calendar year in CO shorter than other parts of the world?:welcome

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

maybe clem
05-12-2013, 11:13
I was instantly covered with "goose bumps." I grabbed my cook pot and lid and began making as much noise as I could.

Maybe the reason something was sniffing around your tent was because you were sleeping with your cookware.

tolkien_madness
05-12-2013, 19:07
Thank you all for the advice, humor, and stories... I live in Colorado Springs and there's some activity in the foothills. They don't usually bother anyone and rarely even eat pets. I have a friend, though, who won't even go walking in her neighborhood by herself because she thinks she'll be a snack. She thinks I'm nuts, so it's good to hear that I'm not that crazy!

Dogwood
05-12-2013, 20:08
Hey, I know what we need. Let's discuss the dangers from alligators. Those Florida Trail hikers are interested in that. We can talk and confuse aliigators and crocodiles and hype up the fear to humans by them.

Hey, I know, lets watch another RIDICULOUS made by Jollywood movie hyping the dangers to humans from wolves like "THE GREY."

Hey, I know, lets watch "ANACONDA" or "SNAKES ON A PLANE", two more RIDICULOUS FEAR hyped Jollywood movies, and discuss the dangers from Coral, Copperheads, Rattlesnakes, and Water Moccasins while hiking.

I think the OP asked a legitimate question but I also think our conditioned responses to such potential dangers is too often based in FEAR HYPED media fantasy. In the BIG scheme of things the greatest dangers while hiking typically occur from or surrounding human activity. And the greatest concern in general while hiking, in terms of fatalities, comes from humans tripping and/or falling. Be alert, be aware of your surroundings, inform yourself of potential dangers but don't FOCUS on them, be wise, watch your footing, and YOU WILL HAVE A HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL HIKE!

HeartFire
05-12-2013, 21:31
I read somewhere that the biggest danger to hikers is water crossings!

Mountain Mike
05-12-2013, 21:33
I would say animals are way down on the list: Medical, Hypothermia, lightning, water crossing, other humans, then animals.

McPick
05-12-2013, 22:55
Maybe the reason something was sniffing around your tent was because you were sleeping with your cookware.

Oh my GOSH, Clem... Thanks for pointing that out to me. All these years I thought it might have been the ribs I had inside my sleeping bag!

Dogwood
05-13-2013, 01:09
The primary cause for hiker fatalites differs from area to area. In some areas it's fatal falls. I'm not positive, but I think in general hiker fatalities are often weather related or humans ignorant of weather related issues.

Mags
05-13-2013, 01:37
Oh my GOSH, Clem... Thanks for pointing that out to me. All these years I thought it might have been the ribs I had inside my sleeping bag!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvwcfy4mNC1qm0tvbo1_400.jpg

This comment is full of win!

Feral Bill
05-13-2013, 11:18
[QUOTE=t. She thinks I'm nuts, so it's good to hear that I'm not that crazy![/QUOTE] Nobody said you're not crazy, just not to worry about mountain lions. (or cougars, pumas, catamounts, panthers, etc.)

HeartFire
05-13-2013, 13:25
Mags - I LOVE the Cpt Picard pix.

So what worries me the most about hiking the CT is fires - last year there were a lot of forest fires in Colorado, I did hear on the news this morning that there should be less fires in Colorado this year because of 'above average spring snow pack'. With the Pine bark beetle killing so many of the pine trees, Colorado looked like a tinder box last year when I was there. What I don't know is what is the risk along the trail. Mags - do you have any info on this?

Mags
05-13-2013, 13:36
The area around Denver is just slightly below normal levels over all.

Southern Colorado (e.g. the San Juans) is pretty low, though.

Wait and see is about all we can do right now.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_state.htm?CO,W

Shutterbug
05-15-2013, 00:39
In Colorado, you are more likely to see a mountain lion in the foothills than where the CT generally goes through.

There may be some mountain lion activity near the Denver portion of the trail, but that's going to be very rare.

I saw a mountain lion in Roxborough State Park which connects to the Colorado Trail. It followed my wife and me for about 30 minutes, but was never a threat. It seemed about as curious as we were.

A few months later, a mountain lion attacked a dog in Roxborough State Park. There is no way to know if it was the same lion or not.

Ronnwell
05-15-2013, 10:36

When I hiked from Durango to Silverton in 2008, I encountered a mountain lion a little past the Dry Fork Trail on the CT (Just outside Durango). I had stopped to take a look at my map and the trail bended to the left 30 yards ahead of me. As odd as it sounds, I felt a presence and looked up and there was a mountain lion trotting towards me. We made eye contact and it stopped; I then proceeded to yell at it and it took off. The hair on my arms was standing straight-up.

It was a really special experience for me.

Dogwood
05-15-2013, 12:09
Actually, mountain lions have human encounters much more than humans KNOWINGLY have encounters with mountain lions! They are ambush hunters/stalkers masters at concealing themselves. Ever see those wildlife documentaries where lions, cheetahs, leopards, tigers, etc sneak up on their prey or just to check something out? Mountain Lions in N. America do the same. They are there MORE OFTEN than we realize. BUT, BEFORE YOU LET A NEGATIVE IMAGINATION RUN AWAY THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS. If Mountain Lions regularly saw humans as potential meals humans would be in real trouble in the woods and in the mountains and we would see MANY MORE attacks and human fatalities. Mountain Lions in the wild are not inclined to attack adult humans! Statistics across N. America STRONGLY PROVE this. Those ideas of large ferocious cats stalking and preying upon humans are the product of uninformed artists, writers, and makers of Jollywood movies who are basing their ideas in ignorance and fear.

bearcreek
05-15-2013, 12:46
Hmm... Then there is this: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-01-09-mountain-lion_x.htm?csp=34

Feral Bill
05-15-2013, 13:39
Hmm... Then there is this: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-01-09-mountain-lion_x.htm?csp=34

That was in 2004. Rare events make news.

Mags
05-15-2013, 14:53
When I hiked from Durango to Silverton in 2008, I encountered a mountain lion a little past the Dry Fork Trail on the CT (Just outside Durango).

Not surprised. Tend to see mountain lions in the foothills outside of towns rather than in the mountains themselves FWIW.

Pedaling Fool
05-15-2013, 17:26
Mountain Lions in the wild are not inclined to attack adult humans!I know, it's because we coexist, right:)

I bet the deer would like to coexist with mountain lions.;)

Dogwood
05-15-2013, 17:38
LOL. The deer do coexist with mountain lions - deer are weary and watch out for them and then - THEY RUN!:D

Ever wonder why horse jockeys whip the horse and the horse runs faster?

Predatory Response.

bearcreek
05-15-2013, 19:34
That was in 2004. Rare events make news.

Rare, indeed. But it happens from time to time.

"The oversized cats are responsible for only two confirmed deaths and 14 attacks causing injury during the last 20 years in Colorado, according to the state Division of Wildlife."

http://durangoherald.com/article/20110507/NEWS01/705079946/-1/s/Where-lions-tread (http://durangoherald.com/article/20110507/NEWS01/705079946/-1/s/Where-lions-tread)

DLP
05-16-2013, 15:57
Just got back from 3 days in mountain lion habitat.

Occurred to me that Neoairs sound just like Cat Crinkle Tunnel Toys.

http://www.amazon.com/SmartyKat-CrackleChute-Tunnel-Cat-Toy/dp/B001B41TOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368733605&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+crinkle+tunnel (Ooooo! Cat tunnel is lightweight. If it were a little wider and made of silnylon, it could be a fine bivy sack.)

My sister asks during lunch, "Do you think this Hickory Smoked Flavor Tuna pouch smells like cat food? Do mountain lions like tuna like house cats do?"

Went to bed probably smelling slightly of cat food and sleeping on the perfect crinkly large cat toy. Mountain lions pouncing on my crinkly pad crossed my mind a couple of times, but slept fine.

When I got home my cat was all over my backpack like it was a new catnip toy. She spent 10 minutes rubbing on it and rolling on it and marking it as "hers". (Good thing she is not a sprayer!)

Maybe I had a nocturnal mountain lion encounter, and slept thru it? Naw. Probably not… but who knows.

Happy hiking and sleeping! Driving to/from the trail head is up there with dangerous activities.

K6VOI
05-24-2014, 11:25
I know this is an old thread, but I just watched something last night called "Man-eating Zombie Cats" where the wild cat populations are becoming infected with Canine Distemper Virus - including Mountain lions. These infected cats have much different behavior and are not afraid of humans. Anyways, the show also stated that if mountain lion were the size of an African Lion, they would be 10 times more dangerous.! So of course, it was midnight last night while I watched this show and then they mention Salida, CO and a mountain lion that enters someones house and devours their dog! So visions of me on the CT this summer as a midnight snack start dancing in my head. Thankfully this thread exists! I agree that lightning is probably the biggest danger (or possibly dying from massive overeating in resupply towns - haha) -

I was reading what to do in case of an encounter. Don't turn around, don't run, try to appear large and talk firm and make noise. Not to reassuring since I would probably be paralyzed with fear. Most PCTers are way more nervous about mountain lion encounters than Bear encounters and I agree.

Okay, just thinking out loud. Still can't wait for our CT trip!

Pedaling Fool
05-24-2014, 12:05
I know this is an old thread, but I just watched something last night called "Man-eating Zombie Cats" where the wild cat populations are becoming infected with Canine Distemper Virus - including Mountain lions. These infected cats have much different behavior and are not afraid of humans.

You gotta watch them shows with a skeptical eye, especially during weeks like now -- It's Monster Week:D

I don't doubt this disease issue, but those shows are always hyping stuff for ratings; then you got the mega shark and Mermaind "documentaries" :rolleyes:

How do they get away with calling them shows a "Documentary" is just depressing to me.:(

P.S. They call the mega shark a "Megalodon"...geez:rolleyes:

Anyways, the show also stated that if mountain lion were the size of an African Lion, they would be 10 times more dangerous.! So of course, it was midnight last night while I watched this show and then they mention Salida, CO and a mountain lion that enters someones house and devours their dog! So visions of me on the CT this summer as a midnight snack start dancing in my head.
That's true with so many animals, if the black bear was as big as a polar bear it would be more of a threat; I'm not saying it would be the same as the threat presented by a polar bear, but it would definitely be more of a threat. And if a moose was the size of a dog it would be less of a threat.

BTW, that reminds me of my thoughts on the green and brown anoles, those are some very small lizards, but they are very aggressive. They are always making threatening postures that looks like they're doing push-ups, they even make that gesture at me as I walk thru my garden; I actually have to walk right up on them before they run:D

If those things grew to 10 foot long I'd be the one running:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blXmYtPXrQ4

Coffee
05-24-2014, 12:10
I'm pretty sure that big cats have seen me even though I've never seen them. They are stealthy and like to stalk their prey. It isn't likely that they would attack a 6'1" man especially with a pack on since they like to strike from behind and have a shot at the neck. If I was a 5' tall person or if I hiked with kids I would be more concerned. As things stand, it is a non issue for me even though some freak thing could happen. But some really unlucky incident could occur anywhere at any time, perhaps with higher probability in civilization than in the backcountry.

K6VOI
05-24-2014, 12:33
I'm pretty sure that big cats have seen me even though I've never seen them. They are stealthy and like to stalk their prey. It isn't likely that they would attack a 6'1" man especially with a pack on since they like to strike from behind and have a shot at the neck. If I was a 5' tall person or if I hiked with kids I would be more concerned. As things stand, it is a non issue for me even though some freak thing could happen. But some really unlucky incident could occur anywhere at any time, perhaps with higher probability in civilization than in the backcountry.

Wait! I am a 5' tall person!!!!! lol

Cookerhiker
05-24-2014, 12:38
Heartfire and Krewzer saw a mountain lion on their thruhike last year.

K6VOI
05-24-2014, 12:40
You gotta watch them shows with a skeptical eye, especially during weeks like now -- It's Monster Week:D

Oh, its Monster week! I understand now - hype, hype hype! and throw the word Zombie in the title and Im hooked.

At least there are no walkers on the trail, right?

I was just letting my brain run wild at midnight. I have backpacking fever and 64 days to go until I hit the CT!

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives"

Coffee
05-24-2014, 12:52
Wait! I am a 5' tall person!!!!! lol
In all seriousness, the risk is probably somewhat higher for smaller people but still really low. I read two trail journals last year that included mountain lion incidents ... One on the JMT in Yosemite and the other on the PCT in northern Ca. Both involved female solo hikers and apparent persistent stalking, but ultimately no injuries.

http://walkingwomad.blogspot.com/2013/09/day-2-and-3-half-dome-and-mountain-lion.html

http://mexicotocanada2013.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/my-harrowing-night-with-a-mountain-lion/

K6VOI
05-24-2014, 14:16
A girl on the PCT last year in the So cal section actually used her Spot device. She stated a mountain lion was stalking her and outside her tent all night. So the moral of the story is not to hike alone, be aware of your surroundings, be more careful at dawn and dusk (when they are more likely to be out). Just be aware and safe as possible.

HeartFire
05-24-2014, 15:43
Heartfire and Krewzer saw a mountain lion on their thruhike last year.
Cooker - we saw 2 mountain lions. It was in the Cochatoba hills section, about 6am. They ran across the trail way in front of us - one after the other - it was awesome to watch them go - from the woods on one side of the trail to the woods on the other.

I think the Cochatoba hills are gorgeous -

bamboo bob
05-25-2014, 11:10
I saw one right on the trail. Side trail going into Idylwild on the PCT. Devils Cascade Trail. ?name

Kerosene
05-25-2014, 14:45
Heartfire and Krewzer saw a mountain lion on their thruhike last year.I saw one just south of Harpers Ferry in October 2001.