PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag help/advice!!???

gratefultrails
05-11-2013, 01:28
My current sleeping bag is way to heavy and I am thinking about replacing it before my hike. Any advice on the lightest sleeping bag I could get without going over 200 or so bucks?? Thanks for the help!

Deco
05-11-2013, 01:59
Any good down sleeping bag will be lighter than synthetic. I have a Marmont brand bag and love it. You should be able to find one for under 200 no problem

George
05-11-2013, 02:03
campmor has some reasonable priced down bags

fredmugs
05-11-2013, 08:01
http://www.golite.com/gear/sleeping-bags-quilts

All GoLite gear is 15% off these prices right now. I own a lot of GoLite stuff but not a bag. I have a Sea to Summit bag and they are over $300. I only mention this because anytime I decided to buy a higher quality piece of gear I usually end up wishing I had bought something even better.

garlic08
05-11-2013, 08:15
Ditto getting down. Ditto looking at Campmor.com. The Mountain Hardwear Phantom line is a good value but probably over $200 unless you can find a sale. You might consider a quilt. You can get an excellent down quilt at enLightened Equipment and others for around $200.

If you're serious about sleeping outdoors, the sleeping bag is the one place to put some serious money. I waited too long to buy a decent bag and really noticed the difference when I finally got one. Down bags have a very long life and are a good value if you use them. And not all down is created equal. You might want to increase your budget a little.

Tree Nerd
05-11-2013, 10:36
Remember, there is no single bag that can do everything. I found this out after purchasing several bags for different conditions. You should be able to find plenty of bags for under 200, you may even be able to get two bags for under 200. I picked up a used Marmot sawtooth 15 degree down bag for 100 and went to dicks and got a Koppen Viggo 40 degree synthetic bag for $60. I also made a bag liner from material purchased at a fabric store. All three total less than 200 and will be good for my entire sobo!

Keep an eye out on the used gear section, check ebay and craigslist (searchtempest.com is much easier). Read plenty of reviews before you commit to something. I read hours of reviews before i purchased my sawtooth. Another thing is you need to find what you want out of a bag. Down vs synthetic, Full zip or half zip, left or right zip, duel zippers or single, baffle orientation, shell material, compaction size, weight, etc. Everything has its pros and cons and my best suggestion is to read reviews, study up on bag terminology, and ask others what they pick and why.

In my situation for my winter bag my main concern was price, temp rating, quality, versatility and compaction. Weight was not a factor for me because the lighter it is the more it costs. So I started off by setting a price, similar to you, I wanted to spend less then 200. Temp rating was something that got me for a long time. Since i have a 20 degree synthetic (probably a 30 or 40 degree now) I wanted something a little warmer and settled on a 10-20 degree for winter, early spring, and late fall camping. Next was down or synthetic, both have pros and cons but I went with down because it compacts a little better then synthetic. Quality, this took a lot of searching, I wanted something that was going to last me but I wouldnt have to pay an arm and a leg for. Versitility, I wanted something that I could used in a range of temperatures. I wanted something with a full zipper, dual zipper (to regulate bag temp), and had zipper and neck baffles. After reading many reviews and asking others I found the sawtooth. I found several on craigslist and other forums but finally settled on one on here for 100. The only problem I have with the sawtooth is that it soaks up water like a mofo. I ended up buying a sea to summit waterproof sack for it and use it inside my pack. Since I have done this I have not had any problems except when waking up and my head slides across the condensation in my tent.

Now for my summer bag I had similar concerns, price, compaction, temp rating, and versitility, but I went about it in a different way. Again, the hardest part was finding a temp rating. After asking many and looking around I found that I wanted to go with a 30-40 degree. Any colder then that and I could use my 20 degree and any warmer then that and a bag would be pointless. Compaction, since it is a warm weather bag, compaction really didnt play a factor, most warm weather bags get just as small or smaller then my sawtooth and thats what I was looking for. versatility, again I wanted a bag that would work for a range of temperatures so I wanted something with a full zipper and dual zipper. I also wanted it to have a right hand zip because all my other bags or left hand (may work out if I take a lady camping ;)). I never ready any reviews for my summer bag, I was just going off my best judgement. After doing some searching I found a couple bags of interest and thats when price and other factors came into play. I ended up going with the koppen viggo 40 degree. I believe this brand is made by marmot, not the best of quality, but cant beat it for the price. What sold me was that this bag had a dual zipper on the left side that goes almost the full length of the bag that you could open in warmer weather to use in a broader range of temps.

Looking back on what I chose I have a winter bag that will get me from 0 (extreme) to 30 comfortably. And a summer bag that can get me from 30 (extreme) to 50+ comfortably......I also have my 20 degree bag to fill that comfort rating between the two, but its bulky/heavy and I don't like packing it.

Anyway, I hope this helps in your search! Finding a sleeping bag was the hardest decision I had to make so far in my gear section process.

q-tip
05-11-2013, 10:45
You might think about stepping up to a Western Mountaineering. I have three (0-15-45) and they are truly bags for life.

bigcranky
05-11-2013, 12:18
The Kelty Cosmic gets good reviews as an inexpensive down bag that provides good performance at a reasonable weight. It's no Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bag, but it's 1/4 the cost....

The 20F Cosmic would make a decent 3 season bag around here, and the 40F a good summer bag.

WM and FF bags are almost never on sale. Marmot makes good bags, and you can usually find them on sale, sometimes for around $200. The 30F Hydrogen is an excellent bag, and would be my choice for April-October here in NC/VA/TN area. It's $350 new, but often on sale for less.

gratefultrails
05-11-2013, 15:45
Remember, there is no single bag that can do everything. I found this out after purchasing several bags for different conditions. You should be able to find plenty of bags for under 200, you may even be able to get two bags for under 200. I picked up a used Marmot sawtooth 15 degree down bag for 100 and went to dicks and got a Koppen Viggo 40 degree synthetic bag for $60. I also made a bag liner from material purchased at a fabric store. All three total less than 200 and will be good for my entire sobo!

Keep an eye out on the used gear section, check ebay and craigslist (searchtempest.com is much easier). Read plenty of reviews before you commit to something. I read hours of reviews before i purchased my sawtooth. Another thing is you need to find what you want out of a bag. Down vs synthetic, Full zip or half zip, left or right zip, duel zippers or single, baffle orientation, shell material, compaction size, weight, etc. Everything has its pros and cons and my best suggestion is to read reviews, study up on bag terminology, and ask others what they pick and why.

In my situation for my winter bag my main concern was price, temp rating, quality, versatility and compaction. Weight was not a factor for me because the lighter it is the more it costs. So I started off by setting a price, similar to you, I wanted to spend less then 200. Temp rating was something that got me for a long time. Since i have a 20 degree synthetic (probably a 30 or 40 degree now) I wanted something a little warmer and settled on a 10-20 degree for winter, early spring, and late fall camping. Next was down or synthetic, both have pros and cons but I went with down because it compacts a little better then synthetic. Quality, this took a lot of searching, I wanted something that was going to last me but I wouldnt have to pay an arm and a leg for. Versitility, I wanted something that I could used in a range of temperatures. I wanted something with a full zipper, dual zipper (to regulate bag temp), and had zipper and neck baffles. After reading many reviews and asking others I found the sawtooth. I found several on craigslist and other forums but finally settled on one on here for 100. The only problem I have with the sawtooth is that it soaks up water like a mofo. I ended up buying a sea to summit waterproof sack for it and use it inside my pack. Since I have done this I have not had any problems except when waking up and my head slides across the condensation in my tent.

Now for my summer bag I had similar concerns, price, compaction, temp rating, and versitility, but I went about it in a different way. Again, the hardest part was finding a temp rating. After asking many and looking around I found that I wanted to go with a 30-40 degree. Any colder then that and I could use my 20 degree and any warmer then that and a bag would be pointless. Compaction, since it is a warm weather bag, compaction really didnt play a factor, most warm weather bags get just as small or smaller then my sawtooth and thats what I was looking for. versatility, again I wanted a bag that would work for a range of temperatures so I wanted something with a full zipper and dual zipper. I also wanted it to have a right hand zip because all my other bags or left hand (may work out if I take a lady camping ;)). I never ready any reviews for my summer bag, I was just going off my best judgement. After doing some searching I found a couple bags of interest and thats when price and other factors came into play. I ended up going with the koppen viggo 40 degree. I believe this brand is made by marmot, not the best of quality, but cant beat it for the price. What sold me was that this bag had a dual zipper on the left side that goes almost the full length of the bag that you could open in warmer weather to use in a broader range of temps.

Looking back on what I chose I have a winter bag that will get me from 0 (extreme) to 30 comfortably. And a summer bag that can get me from 30 (extreme) to 50+ comfortably......I also have my 20 degree bag to fill that comfort rating between the two, but its bulky/heavy and I don't like packing it.

Anyway, I hope this helps in your search! Finding a sleeping bag was the hardest decision I had to make so far in my gear section process.

I was looking for a bag that is down, 30-40 deg. and under 2lb. any advice???

gratefultrails
05-11-2013, 15:46
I am looking for a bag that is down, 30-40 deg. and under 2lb or so. As well as 200 bucks or less

gratefultrails
05-11-2013, 15:47
My current sleeping bag is way to heavy and I am thinking about replacing it before my hike. Any advice on the lightest sleeping bag I could get without going over 200 or so bucks?? Thanks for the help!

I am looking for a bag that is down, 30-40 deg. and under 2lb or so. As well as 200 bucks or less

Teacher & Snacktime
05-11-2013, 23:26

Walmart has a 32* down bag for $79 that is under or about 2lbs and compresses to the size of a quaker oats drum....it's ridiculously thin, but actually warm and effective. Ozark Trail brand. I don't know how long it will last, but it's light and cheap and warm

Train Wreck
05-11-2013, 23:46
Walmart has a 32* down bag for $79 that is under or about 2lbs and compresses to the size of a quaker oats drum....it's ridiculously thin, but actually warm and effective. Ozark Trail brand. I don't know how long it will last, but it's light and cheap and warm

Hmmm...wonder if it could be converted into a hammock underquilt...cheapo solution :cool:
btw, I found out your spring hike got cut short, too bad :(

Dogwood
05-12-2013, 00:48

First, I would like to know the wt of your current bag in that temp range as a baseline. You got to do your own shopping but GolIte is on sale right now, REI and the REI outlet, EMS, and BackCountry have those specs covered for what you want at or slightly less or more do re mi.

All these are reg length. I won't even get into the Kelty, Walmart brands, etc.

REI - Marmot CloudBreak 32* SYNTETIC 1lb 15 oz $169
That's a pretty good wt for a syntetic w/that temp rating and price?

All the rest are down.

BackCountry - TNF Gold Kazoo 30* 2 lbs 1 oz $229, Mont Bell Super Spiral Hugger #5 40* 1 lb 11 oz $229(nice bag, good price!), Marmot Atom 40* 850 down 1lb 5 oz(that's higher end light/UL too! Marmot typically has realistic temp ratings $232, Marmot Always Summer 40* 650 down 2 lbs 3 oz $144, Sierra Designs Ridge Runner 30* 2 lbs 1 oz $154

I could go on but you CAN GET what you want for the price you want! If you are a little flexible as to do re mi and/or wt you have LOTS MORE possibilities within that sweet spot.

swjohnsey
05-12-2013, 11:19
The Kelty Lightyear 40 in down will fit that description.

litefoot2000
05-12-2013, 13:39
Sierra Designs Ridgerunner 30 degree weighs 2 lbs and is well under 200 bucks.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-12-2013, 13:46
Hmmm...wonder if it could be converted into a hammock underquilt...cheapo solution :cool:
btw, I found out your spring hike got cut short, too bad :(

I imagine it would be very effective for a hammock underquilt. And Snacktime, Strife and I are headed out again soon for our CT section now that the booboos are all better!

gratefultrails
05-15-2013, 00:29
I went with the western mountaineering highlite. 16 oz, 35 deg. Got it on ebay for 200 bucks.

Dogwood
05-15-2013, 01:09
I went with the western mountaineering highlite. 16 oz, 35 deg. Got it on ebay for 200 bucks.

What length? That's my go to bag I have to replace! That's a GREAT price. I was just looking to buy a new one in the last two days. WM bags rarely go on steep discounted sales. WM sets a lowest retail limit their dealers can sell their bags at. I'm looking at a long for $315 right now. The reg length is about $300. WM bags, including the Highlite, are accurately temp rated. The Highlite is a narrow bag though with a 59" shoulder width in the reg length. 60" in the 6'6' long length. If that bag fits you and the bag is in good condition YOU SCORED YOURSELF A UL SUPER COMPRESSABLE HIGH END QUALITY 850 DOWN BAG AT A GREAT PRICE. I was going to recommend this bag to you originally but felt it was too far beyond your intended price range. That's a phenomenal bag made by one of the top sleeping bag companies! Congrats! Hope it's a winner for you as it has been for me.

Tinker
05-15-2013, 01:44
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-20-f-flathead-sleeping-bag-600-fill-power-down-mummy-for-women~p~3046x/?filterString=s~down-bag%2F&colorFamily=01

Sierra Trading Post is a good place to get discontinued merchandise (usually styles, colors, and fabrics) at discounted prices.

I hate to assume anything, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you are a female??

The insulation thickness is different at various places in the bag (feet, mostly) than men's bags. This is typical of female specific bags.

Dogwood
05-15-2013, 12:19
That's a 59" inside shoulder girth not width with WM Highlite.

Double Wide
05-15-2013, 16:53
There are three words to describe sleeping bags (or any backpacking gear for matter):

-Cheap
-Light
-Tough

Unfortunately, you can only pick two.

Dogwood
05-15-2013, 17:28
There are three words to describe sleeping bags (or any backpacking gear for matter):

-Cheap
-Light
-Tough

Unfortunately, you can only pick two.

There's one word to more adequately describe those three words - relative! Cheap - relative to what? Light - relative to what? Tough - relative to what?

You can have ALL three of those traits in a sleeping bag but it depends on how one defines each word.

MuddyWaters
05-15-2013, 17:46
Go to Department of Goods.com

Stoic Somnus 30 degree, this yrs model has the side zip, 23 oz, pertex quantum shell, 850+ down fill......$149. Its a steal.
Stoic somnus 15 degree, ", 34oz, "," ...$175

Best bag for the money you will find.

gratefultrails
05-20-2013, 23:56
What length? That's my go to bag I have to replace! That's a GREAT price. I was just looking to buy a new one in the last two days. WM bags rarely go on steep discounted sales. WM sets a lowest retail limit their dealers can sell their bags at. I'm looking at a long for $315 right now. The reg length is about $300. WM bags, including the Highlite, are accurately temp rated. The Highlite is a narrow bag though with a 59" shoulder width in the reg length. 60" in the 6'6' long length. If that bag fits you and the bag is in good condition YOU SCORED YOURSELF A UL SUPER COMPRESSABLE HIGH END QUALITY 850 DOWN BAG AT A GREAT PRICE. I was going to recommend this bag to you originally but felt it was too far beyond your intended price range. That's a phenomenal bag made by one of the top sleeping bag companies! Congrats! Hope it's a winner for you as it has been for me.

Got it in the mail today. its in perfect condition and fits great. Its so freaking light! pretty happy with the buy, got to love ebay.

Dogwood
05-21-2013, 01:31
You're in the money zone. Nice score!

One of the nice things about a well made sleeping bag with an accurate temp rating like WM bags and wisely applying some UL principles is that I like taking them down way past their lower limit by as much as 15-18*, down to as low as 17* with the WM Highlite. I commonly do this on an infrequent basis like when the temps don't habitually drop to 20*. Throw in a 4 oz silk liner, sleep in some warm clothing(silk wt thermals, merino beanie, Mont Bell Thermawrap, etc.) and/or sleep in a tent or throw in an UL bivy and cowboy. Work that equation to its max and you now got a sleeping bag that can be tweaked slightly to address a VERY WIDE RANGE of usable temps. You'll also enjoy how small the WM Highlite crunches up taking little room in your pack. Think about this too. You got a high end UL conventionally designed 850 down sleeping bag(hood, 1/2 zip, WARM full real super thermally efficient sleeping bag) BUT at a weight that's comparable to the wt of many quilts without some of the potential issues associated with quilts! If you got the reg length the WM Highlite is 16 oz! SHWEET! Again congrats.

mdp9
05-21-2013, 09:40
I was able to get a great 0' down bag weighing about a pound for under $200 through EMS's returned item section. It had a tiny hole, which I duct taped. REI and EMS both re sell their returned items for very good rates.

HooKooDooKu
05-21-2013, 13:11
Last I looked, Campmor still has some 2012 model Mountain Hardware UltraLamina 32 degree bags on sale for $150 (the 2013 model is $240). It is a synthetic bag that weights 1lb 14oz
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42190?cm_vc=PDPZ2

Dogwood
05-21-2013, 13:36
Go to Department of Goods.com

Stoic Somnus 30 degree, this yrs model has the side zip, 23 oz, pertex quantum shell, 850+ down fill......$149. Its a steal.
Stoic somnus 15 degree, ", 34oz, "," ...$175

Best bag for the money you will find.

Absolutely, hard to beat for that amount of money. Great value for the dollar. Do you have one MW? If so can you give a quick review?

terryg49
05-22-2013, 09:41
consider buying an army surplus bag on ebay. The "scout" bag is very roomy, light weight and good to about 35 degs. Cost is under $30. It also packs very small

Venchka
05-22-2013, 10:04

Game over folks! Great choice in a quality bag at a great price. Makes me want to reconsider my self-imposed lifetime ebay ban.
Enjoy your new sleeping bag!

Wayne