PDA

View Full Version : Luna Solo Vs Contrail?

Cosmo11
05-11-2013, 08:58
I've read good reviews for both tents. The Tarptent Contrail seems more popular. The Six Moon Design is longer and wider, has more floor space and weights less.

Thought? The Luna Solo on paper sounds like it win.

Tree Nerd
05-11-2013, 10:00
I have the luna solo and love it. Got it a couple months bad and used it while hiking the foothills trail and will be taking it with my on my thru. It takes some time to get use to setting it up, but once you got it there are no problems. Plenty of room inside, you could get two poeple in if your in a pinch. Take a rag for the condensation (which becomes prevalent if you dont know how to set it up correctly. It packs up super small which I love, but I got a bigger stuff sack for it so it would fill in gaps better in my pack. Hope this helps.

q-tip
05-11-2013, 10:38
I have a Contrail and a Wild Oasis tarp shaped like a Luna Solo. I found the shape of the Wild Oasis has my sleeping bag hitting the tarp, I am 5'6" with a 6' bag, and it has very little airflow. After a three day rainstorm, it seemed like it was raining in the tarp. I have used the Contrail for over 1,100 miles on the AT and several other trips. It is my go-to tent. Takes about 2 min to set up, uses a trekking pole, and I can get all of my gear inside the tent and have ample room to sleep. IMHO-it is one of the best tents weight/price on the market. I was actually talking to Henry Shires yesterday about additional waterproofing of the sil-nylon. We both have experienced significant water repellency using Atsko Silicone Water Guard. Two coats on the outside and one on the inside, no bleed thru and little if any condensation. The good news, you can't make a bad decision with either. You might also look at the Tarp Tent Notch. Double wall and can use the rainfly as a tarp....

garlic08
05-11-2013, 11:38
Contrail because: Only four staking points are necessary (two more in extreme wind). You can lower the canopy to the ground in cold conditions. I've had excellent customer service from Tarptent for over ten years now.

The Contrail was probably my best gear purchase ever. I have nearly 7000 trail miles on mine plus a X-C bike tour over seven seasons and it's still going. It's well under a dollar a night now. You'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

rocketsocks
05-11-2013, 11:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7nqxIdROsI
Contrail because: Only four staking points are necessary (two more in extreme wind). You can lower the canopy to the ground in cold conditions. I've had excellent customer service from Tarptent for over ten years now.

The Contrail was probably my best gear purchase ever. I have nearly 7000 trail miles on mine plus a X-C bike tour over seven seasons and it's still going. It's well under a dollar a night now. You'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.don't forget to leave a note :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7nqxIdROsI

finish9
05-11-2013, 12:29
One of the top ten best movies ever. I wish they would put it out on bluray.

g8trh8tr
05-11-2013, 19:38
TT Contrail...Ditto what garlic08 stated...

Country Roads
05-12-2013, 19:39
I have used both. If you are tall, go with the contrail, it has plenty of length. The Lunar solo is a nice tent. Plenty of room. I like the side opening for the views. I have ridden out some bad storms in both of them. The foot print of the contrail can be a bit long for some tent pads. Either one should work well.

Crusinsusan
05-13-2013, 02:15
Noob weighing in: I looked at both, and went with the six moons because I don't like crawling over my bed to get into it....much prefer the side opening.

Don H
05-13-2013, 08:10
Noob weighing in: I looked at both, and went with the six moons because I don't like crawling over my bed to get into it....much prefer the side opening.

Yep, I prefer a side entry tent for this reason, I find them easier for me to get in and out of.