PDA

View Full Version : 200 miles in 9 days, how plausible is that?

PosterNutbag
05-11-2013, 17:19
Due to a new job, ill be having to start my hike from lehigh pa to stormville ny earlier. This change has forced me to cut my hike down by at least 4 or 5 days. Starting June 1 I will leave Lehigh and head north on the AT, should i expect to make it the distance? I was thinking about resupplying every 3 days, but from what i have been reading that takes A LOT of time ( hitchhiking into town, shopping, hitching back) is there a better way for me to resupply now that time is so short? I understand that this is over 20 mile days we are talking about and I do not have my "trail legs", but I am an 18 year old distance runner coming off 4 years running all year round. I guess my main question is, is it even plausible for someone to get on the trail and cover 200 miles during 9 days on that section

Sorry if the post seems a bit confusing.....im not even going to proof read

hikerboy57
05-11-2013, 17:21
Due to a new job, ill be having to start my hike from lehigh pa to stormville ny earlier. This change has forced me to cut my hike down by at least 4 or 5 days. Starting June 1 I will leave Lehigh and head north on the AT, should i expect to make it the distance? I was thinking about resupplying every 3 days, but from what i have been reading that takes A LOT of time ( hitchhiking into town, shopping, hitching back) is there a better way for me to resupply now that time is so short? I understand that this is over 20 mile days we are talking about and I do not have my "trail legs", but I am an 18 year old distance runner coming off 4 years running all year round. I guess my main question is, is it even plausible for someone to get on the trail and cover 200 miles during 9 days on that section

Sorry if the post seems a bit confusing.....im not even going to proof readits plausible.or you can cut down the miles instead.the trail aint going anywhere

MuddyWaters
05-11-2013, 17:59
Definitely possible for some.
You could get by with one resupply.

weary
05-11-2013, 18:02
Most runners who also hike, tend to tell me that being good at one, doesn't automatically mean one will immediately be good at the other. The two activities share many muscles, but not all, at least to the same degree. My advice is to cut your mileage in half, enjoy your walk, and use any surplus time to prepare for the adventure of a new job.

Trillium
05-11-2013, 18:39
weary, good to see you're still on this site; I was beginning to wonder.

bigcranky
05-11-2013, 19:54
Very plausible for some people. None of us can answer that for YOU, but you are certainly starting off in better shape than many (most?) section hikers. Besides, if you have to get off early, so what?

+1 on the idea of one resupply on day 5. That way you need carry only 4 days of food each section (eat lunch in town on the resupply, and one meal each on start and end day.) That's only 2 pounds heavier than carrying 3 days of food and resupplying twice. Of course this depends on whether you can get into a town on day 5 or not.

PosterNutbag
05-11-2013, 20:23
I covered 35 miles from 11.30am saturday to 3pm sunday over by hamburg to lehigh in march. I definitly prefer to hike faster than slower, only thing about one resupply is that my pack is already pushing 25 pounds with just 3 days food. doesnt help my actual pack is 5 pounds lol

moldy
05-11-2013, 20:34
I hate to sound like an old sourpuss but I question your ability to make this hike in less than 2 weeks. Your 4 years of running around the world will be of little value. Ever done any extended hiking before? What is your camping plan? What sort of weight you packing? There is some rough miles ahead. Good luck and I hope I'm wrong.

Cookerhiker
05-11-2013, 20:39
You have the aerobic fitness to achieve this. The question is whether the use of muscles other than those running will adjust for you in this string of 20+ mile days. The key test for you comes after you enter NY and cross Rt. 17A where the next stretch of ups and downs will stress your quads, hamstrings, and knees at the pace you're doing. Good luck!

Like others, I also recommend just one resupply.

PosterNutbag
05-11-2013, 22:38
ive gone on multiple 2 night trips with a friend and a few one nighters. last one I planned on going 2 nighys alone but covered the distance in ,1 night. I will probably be carrying 25 pounds at the most. I am going to trim down even more as the date gets closer. I am only like 4 hours away max, so my mom is going to do me a solid and pick me up wherever I am on the 9th. only problem I ever have is some shoulder pain, I figure ill just load up on advil!!
any tips for hiking fast?

Donde
05-11-2013, 23:14
Yeah as a hiker and marathon/ultra runner, it gives you a better baseline but it ain't the same (true in both directions). That being said it is not totally crazy or anything, give it a shot. Not knowing or what you mean when you say "distance running" I can't tell you, but worst case you can't make milage and you get off somewhere else, maybe have to buy a shuttle. Oh well as long as you have a good time.

moldy
05-11-2013, 23:16
My advice for hiking fast for a new hiker on the AT. Don't. Who says you gotta make 200 miles in 9 days? Why not just hike for 9 days? I'm pretty sure that day one will go ok for you although the first 45 minutes will be thrilling. It's those following days that will bring on the problems. There is lots of stuff that you don't know how to do right now. You don't know it because, like they say here in Tennessee, you ain't seen the Monkey Show yet. To hike 20 miles every day for 9 days on this part of the trail you need to know how to make it 20 miles today and still be able to get up and make another 20 the next day. There is some big stuff and small stuff and it can all get you. Tiny things that you don't fully know right now can bring down the whole show like, "getting a good nights sleep", or how to lace your boots or how to adjust your underwear actually matter. How to get going in the morning and how to pace yourself are a big deal. You can't hike if your feet are a bloody mess after 2 days. There are some very experienced people who have already posted in on this thread who have offered you encouragement, but they know. What's my message here? Try to learn some stuff by doing 14 mile days for a few days and see if you can build up your speed. Going fast in the rocks will just get you hurt. The turtle was smarter than the hare.

DaSchwartz
05-12-2013, 00:46
Have a plan to get off the trail if you do less then the 200 miles. If you do the 200 great, if not, even doing 100 miles over 9 days is quite an adventure.

cave man
05-12-2013, 03:36
Tips for hiking fast.... 1. Avoid roots. 2. Walk through the mud. 3. Eat on the go. 4. Keep an organized pack. 5. Avoid more roots. 6. Don't take your shoes off at river crossings. 7. Don't forget things at camp 8. Stay hydrated and eat healthy. 9. Don't sleep in. 10. Keep track of your time. 11. Walk in the Rain. 12. Keep Moving. 13. If you cant make the big miles have a back up plan. 14. Have Fun, don't make it miserable, a good day on the trail isn't all about the miles. 15. Hike Your Own Hike! ENJOY!!!!!

stranger
05-12-2013, 04:41
200 miles in 9 days is a good push, especially if you're not in trail shape, it will come down to your feet...

Lehigh Gap through NJ is the most rocky section of the entire AT in many people's eyes, for new, soft, feet...that could be rough.

22 miles per day through the mid-atlantic isn't that tough in my experience, but miles only tell part of the story.

VTATHiker
05-12-2013, 06:42
If you think like a distance runner on the trail then 200 miles in 9 days is fine - so long as you don't break. Blistered feet, strained IT bands and busted knees are the things that sneak up on you fast. I noticed that the distance runners on the trail avoided the latter two problems more often than the ambitious non-distance runners.

Definitely plausible, probably painful. Sounds like fun.

fredmugs
05-12-2013, 08:21
Very plausible. You will have roughly 15 hours of daylight to cover a little over 20 miles a day. Get up early, hike 50 minutes and stop for 10 every hour. Take at least a 30 minute lunch break. Keep going.

As some have said the key will be can you hike without blistering. DO NOT go fast over the rocky sections. You will instinctively want to get thru it quickly but the pounding on the bottom of your feet will take it's toll over the course of 20 mile days.

garlic08
05-12-2013, 08:47
Good tips above, especially about avoiding blisters. Older folks like me will tell you to start slow and keep a steady pace. Keep thinking you're going to be enjoying another all day hike again tomorrow and don't overdo it. Your second five days will probably be stronger than your first if you don't hurt yourself. This might be hard your first time attempting it, but not impossible.

Time in town will detract from what you're trying to do, so only one resupply is a great idea.

Pay attention to staying clean and avoiding chaffing and other skin issues (boils, sunburn, poison ivy) as well as blisters. It's often the little things that'll trip you up.

Monkeywrench
05-12-2013, 10:21
If you haven't done enough extended hiking to know whether or not you can sustain 20+ mile days, it would seem foolish to plan a trip that requires you to do so.

prain4u
05-12-2013, 10:38
Possible? Sure!
Fun? Enjoyable? Probably not!

Assuming all goes well---no injuries, no blisters, good weather, no unforeseen circumstances--you will probably accomplish your goal. However, what exactly will you have accomplished at the end of those nine days (other than being able to say that you covered 200 miles in 9 days)? Pretty much all you will be doing for (nine straight days) is walking long hours, setting up camp, eating and sleeping. You will probably be sore and uncomfortable on many of the days. (You are already talking about your shoulder and Ibuprofen). If it is raining cats and dogs--you will still have to cover an average of 22+ miles (whether you feel like it or not). If you see a nice place to camp--or people whose company you wish to enjoy--you have to keep walking (because you have to cover those 200 miles in 9 days). Each day (for nine consecutive days) you will PRIMARILY be focused upon reaching a certain distance---and not be focused upon savoring the experience. Each day will be a list of tasks to be accomplished--more than a hike which can be enjoyed.

Watch "National Lampoon's Vacation"--and note how obsessed Clark Griswold becomes with getting to "Wally World" before the vacation comes to an end. That film is an exaggerated depiction of what a hike with extreme goals can become. (I have been there, done that, bought the T-shirt).

Do yourself a favor. Knock 50-100 miles off the proposed distance in order to give yourself some more flexibility with your daily itinerary and more of an opportunity to do more than just crank out mileage. Tired, sore, and under "pressure" to reach as certain destination is no way to spend your time in the woods.

max patch
05-12-2013, 10:54
WhiteBlaze testosterone strikes again.

Ya'll can tell an inexperienced hiker that he can hike 20 miles a day every day starting on day one if you want to. Easy to give advice sitting in your Lazy Boy Chair drinking a cold one with the a/c on.

Theres a difference between "possible" and "plausible".

Possible? Yes. For a few.

Plausible? For the vast majority? Nope.

JAK
05-12-2013, 10:58
Sounds very plausible if you are up for a challenge.

How fast is your 5k, 10k, or 20k currently?
What was your recent weekly training miles?
Are you still at a good running weight?

How light are you prepared to pack?
(Total weight of all gear, clothing, average food and water)
(Adding 10% to your total weight on feed essentially adds 10% to your distance)

What is the total cumulative elevation gain on this section.
(Every 500 feet adds the equivalent of a mile in distance.)

I will be with you in spirit, cheering you on from behind this keyboard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZiN8brc1bg

PosterNutbag
05-12-2013, 11:07
my 5k was around 17.30, I've always been more of a distance guy though. after taking off for about 3 weeks I trained a week and on thanksgiving ran a 15 mile race at 8.30 pace feeling great. I understand what its like to do HEAVY running mileage, last summer I did 70 miles weeks running twice a day. doing that you are tired basically all the time! if I realize the mileage is too much ill just slow down. Like I said I have someone to pick me up anywhere at the end of the 9 days. thanks for all the opinions! Honestly I think doing plenty of mileage a day should bw fun in its own way.

DavidNH
05-12-2013, 11:11
200 miles in 9 days going from lehigh PA to NY. Plausible? in theory yes. you would need to hike 22 miles a day every day with out one single rest day, or even a single short day. In practice no. It will probably rain at some point. The rocks will slow you down. Oh the PA rocks! This won't be any fun. It might be fund for a day or two, but after a few days to a week, it won't be fun. If you get a rainy day you'll be miserable. I've had enough of these cowboys on whiteblaze who think that just cause there young and in good shape or are runners that they can burn up the trail 20-30 miles per day like it's peanuts. Forget it. Hiking the AT is not running. You are just setting yourself up for a week of misery!!

Mags
05-12-2013, 14:05
Very plausible. For an experienced backpacker who has their gear and hiking style dialed in. and enjoys walking all day. It is how I generally back esp. when solo (and I rather enjoy it)

however, and I am honestly not trying to be snarky, if you have to ask the question, you probably should dial it down to 15 MPD and see how it goes.

MuddyWaters
05-12-2013, 14:29
Its possible, as said before.
Whether or not you can do it is totally up to you.

I went down to GA 2 weeks ago and did a little hike.

The first day a new aspiring thru hiker started the same time as me at the approach trail, he had about 40 lbs. He kept up with me. We both did 17.5 miles the first day.
The second day, we both did about 16 miles, because of the bear cannister rule and not wanting to come down Blood Mtn in the dark potentially.
The third day, about 19 miles, he was still keeping up, but did have some foot issues.
The fourth day the kid was going to do ~27 miles all the way to Hiawassee to buy himself a zero day. I dont know if he made it, I figured he would have been 8pm getting there.

Some people can do it, some newbies can too. This kids goal was to catch up to the main bubble.

It only takes walking longer hours. Start earlier, hike later. Keep feet healthy.

max patch
05-12-2013, 15:16
To put this in perspective, what the majority of those who have opined)would tell the OP -- relatively inexperienced at 18 years old and has to ask others on a forum how far he can hike over a given time frame - is that he could start at Springer and in 9 days he'd be at Newfound Gap hitching a ride into Gatlinburg.

I bet if this was your daughter -- and not an anonymous poster on the internet -- asking for advice the answers given would be much different.

PosterNutbag
05-12-2013, 15:25
To put this in perspective, what the majority of those who have opined)would tell the OP -- relatively inexperienced at 18 years old and has to ask others on a forum how far he can hike over a given time frame - is that he could start at Springer and in 9 days he'd be at Newfound Gap hitching a ride into Gatlinburg.

I bet if this was your daughter -- and not an anonymous poster on the internet -- asking for advice the answers given would be much different.

Well this is awkward....Im not a girl LOL just a relatively slow guy over 5000 meters :P

Donde
05-12-2013, 15:39
Like I said I have someone to pick me up anywhere at the end of the 9 days.

Then you are good to go buddy, I wish you an excellent hike.

hikerboy57
05-12-2013, 15:43
after backpacking 20+ miles/day 9 or 10 times this spring, i decided running a marathon is no big deal, especially when you're not carrying 25-30 lbs on your back.long distance running is not the same as long distance backpacking.i would never tell you you couldnt do it, i think you're in shape for it, but how important is it to you to do the miles?i would just suggest keeping your plan open to lower miles, should your body tell you(and i think it will) that its necessary to slow down.above all, have a good time. just like i said, the trail aint going nowhere.its great to push oneself beyond their limits,but it still should be fun. .

George
05-12-2013, 15:50
put it this way then: if a knowing bookie was to make odds on this it would likely be about 2 to 1 against - in the end, feel free to try whatever you want to, it may be impractical but there is little risk of real injury

or you can listen to the folks on here that have learned from experience that practical/ versatile planning results in a more enjoyable trip

Donde
05-12-2013, 15:54
after backpacking 20+ miles/day 9 or 10 times this spring, i decided running a marathon is no big deal,.................................i would just suggest keeping your plan open to lower miles.

I am taking his statement regarding his ride to suggest he is allowing for lower miles (as he should).

As for marathons, I am curious if you have done any based on that statement. It is having that exact thought during my thru that me lead to start doing them. Those long hiking days give you great confidence on any course near mileage you have done in a day, but that doesn't do your body or time any good. Distance running and distance hiking just are not very related. Success at one does not grant success at the other. I find running harder than hiking, or at least I find I feel a lot lousier after a 50K race than I do after a 50K hike:)

fredmugs
05-12-2013, 16:16
put it this way then: if a knowing bookie was to make odds on this it would likely be about 2 to 1 against - in the end, feel free to try whatever you want to, it may be impractical but there is little risk of real injury

or you can listen to the folks on here that have learned from experience that practical/ versatile planning results in a more enjoyable trip

Wanna make a wager on me doing it? I'm over 2.5 times his age.

fredmugs
05-12-2013, 16:17
Has it occurred to some of you that it's the challenge itself that is enjoyable?

hikerboy57
05-12-2013, 16:22
I am taking his statement regarding his ride to suggest he is allowing for lower miles (as he should).

As for marathons, I am curious if you have done any based on that statement. It is having that exact thought during my thru that me lead to start doing them. Those long hiking days give you great confidence on any course near mileage you have done in a day, but that doesn't do your body or time any good. Distance running and distance hiking just are not very related. Success at one does not grant success at the other. I find running harder than hiking, or at least I find I feel a lot lousier after a 50K race than I do after a 50K hike:)
i agree with you. what is similar is the mental mindset, physically they are very different demands on your body.ive ran half marathons, no doubt i can run a marathon, but dont think i want to push myself that hard(my legs are twice as old as yours).as to backpacking, even after i got my trail legs this spring, i felt comfortable doing 16-18 mile days. when i pushed to 20mi or higher, those last few miles wore me out, and it was relected in my performance the next day; it amazed me that a difference so small as an additional 2 miles could have such an effect on my body.mentally i was fine, but after 20 miles i began to simply run out of gas.
i do think its good for the op to push himself hard,maybe i missed that he had already prepped for lower miles.i think the key to any successful hike is flexibility and being able to adjust along the way

MuddyWaters
05-12-2013, 16:28
Just go hike , as far as you want, as many miles as you want.

Its nice to not have a schedule. Go as far, or as few miles, as you feel like.

When it gets to be 6pm and youve already eaten dinner, you may find you want to stop, or you may find you want to walk till 11 pm and knock out another 10 miles for the day. No rules.

Violent Green
05-12-2013, 16:36
You would think the AT is some magical place where only the world's greatest hikers can walk 20+ MPD. Geez, if he's 18 yrs old, in decent shape, and not a sissy he can definitely do it. I'm twice his age and set in a cubicle for 50 hours a week, and even I can keep that pace. Some of you forget what it's like being a teenager. There are definitely some things you need to do in order to enjoy your hike more. Like as been said above: blister prevention, control chaffing, hike longer/not faster. Carrying less weight will also make this hike much easier on you. Best of luck.

Ryan

Chaco Taco
05-12-2013, 18:32

Sorry if the post seems a bit confusing.....im not even going to proof read
Totally doable. Tarp it, light bag, and a few night hikes when you need to hitch to town and you are good to go. IF you could go stoveless and stokepile food at road crossing deli's or pizza places, you could totally do it. Jersey is cake. The terrain makes it do able to run in some strecthes and utilize you running skills. I think if you are 18 and bring long distance running to the table, Id like to see you try it. Go for it.

Chaco Taco
05-12-2013, 18:33
Has it occurred to some of you that it's the challenge itself that is enjoyable?
20+ mile days are fun as hell

Biggie Master
05-12-2013, 18:36
The only way to know for sure is to try it. It's your hike, do what you think is best and enjoy yourself. Best advice I can offer is to have a bail out plan...

fiddlehead
05-12-2013, 20:48
The days will be the longest they get at that time of year.
So, if you can get up early (I'm talking 4:30 AM), and hike until 9 PM when light is fading, you only have to do 1 1/2 miles an hour, or 2 with breaks.

So, yes, it can be done IF you have endurance.

You say you are a distance runner. Does that mean marathons? ultras?
Don't try to go too fast. You have lots of time IF you get up early.

20 mile days in that section is not so hard.

I'd do a few beforehand to show your body what it's getting into.

Feral Bill
05-12-2013, 21:16
Maybe you'll get tired, maybe the flowers and animals will distract you, maybe you'll fall in with some interesting but slower people, maybe you will breeze along without a care. As long as you don't hurt yourself, at worst you will go a lesser distance in the time you have. Enjoy your trip.

Malto
05-12-2013, 21:40
Very plausible. For an experienced backpacker who has their gear and hiking style dialed in. and enjoys walking all day. It is how I generally back esp. when solo (and I rather enjoy it)

however, and I am honestly not trying to be snarky, if you have to ask the question, you probably should dial it down to 15 MPD and see how it goes.

ok mags, you beat me to it. That was going to be my exact response.

Malto
05-12-2013, 21:43

I finished my thru hike with two 40+ mile days. It took me 5 months of trail running to get up to that distance. Running and hiking are 95% similar, it's the 5% that will bite you.

prain4u
05-12-2013, 22:26
I finished my thru hike with two 40+ mile days. It took me 5 months of trail running to get up to that distance. Running and hiking are 95% similar, it's the 5% that will bite you.

I used to be a distance runner--including being a cross country runner (in Northern Wisconsin hills). I have also hiked for a few decades. I FULLY agree with Malto's 95%/5% comment. I know it from personal experience.

When I was the OP's age, I could run half-marathons. (I was a primarily a runner--who also hiked). I trained for both running and hiking by running up and down hilly trails (including one hill that was nearly 2,000 feet above sea level and 760 feet above the surrounding terrain). I was in great running shape and great cardio shape (my resting heart rate in the low 40s).

I must admit that--even when I was in that sort of great RUNNING condition--backpacking in hills and mountains was still a big challenge for me and it could kick my butt on some days. What Malto said is so true....."Running and hiking are 95% similar, it's the 5% that will bite you".

jeffmeh
05-13-2013, 09:35
It sounds like you have made arrangements for extraction whenever your time is up, so hike as fast as you find prudent and enjoyable. Smart plan.

Hikemor
05-13-2013, 11:10
Suggest starting at Delaware Water Gap: easy drop off from the Interstate; avoid 40 +/- miles of PA rocks; lower MPD, if desired.

Berserker
05-13-2013, 12:09
As usual lots of "you can do it" and "no way you can do it" going on like in all these types of threads. The dude said someone will pick him up wherever he is at when he wants to stop. Based on that and your age I say go for it, and please do us a big favor. Come back on this thread and give us an honest report of the results. That's what's always missing. Some dude comes in with huge aspirations, we talk about it for 20 pages and then we never get to find out what happens. It's annoying getting gypped like that.

PosterNutbag
05-13-2013, 16:02
is there a way I can make a journal and connect it to tgis thread?

Jim Adams
05-13-2013, 16:40
In 1990 I did 176 miles in 7 days on the same area of trail....of course I was only 36 years old then and had walked there from Springer so I was already in good shape.....should be fine but tiring with your background and age....carry a light pack!

Chaco Taco
05-13-2013, 16:56
is there a way I can make a journal and connect it to tgis thread?
Make a blog, link it to your signature line

George
05-13-2013, 21:04
As usual lots of "you can do it" and "no way you can do it" going on like in all these types of threads. The dude said someone will pick him up wherever he is at when he wants to stop. Based on that and your age I say go for it, and please do us a big favor. Come back on this thread and give us an honest report of the results. That's what's always missing. Some dude comes in with huge aspirations, we talk about it for 20 pages and then we never get to find out what happens. It's annoying getting gypped like that.

the reports are seldom done because anything that goes 20 pages is an iffy venture - few want to honestly disclose the results of unrealistic plans

max patch
05-13-2013, 21:24
It doesn't matter if the OP ends up hiking the 200 miles in 9 days or less or if he needs to get picked up short of his destination.

Is it reasonable to tell a new hiker that he can reasonably expect to hike 23.5 miles "every day" for over a week starting on day 1? I maintain that is not a realistic expectation.

kolokolo
05-13-2013, 21:40
If you think like a distance runner on the trail then 200 miles in 9 days is fine - so long as you don't break. Blistered feet, strained IT bands and busted knees are the things that sneak up on you fast.I agree that it's your feet that will make or break you. Are your feet ready for 9 days in a row of 20+ miles? What if you have to hike in the rain all day? Wet feet get blisters and hot spots much faster. Try running as much as you can without socks before your hike. That will toughen up your feet and make them more resistant to blisters. And, during the hike, keep your feet as dry as you can (keep an extra pair of dry socks).

MuddyWaters
05-13-2013, 22:00
It doesn't matter if the OP ends up hiking the 200 miles in 9 days or less or if he needs to get picked up short of his destination.

Is it reasonable to tell a new hiker that he can reasonably expect to hike 23.5 miles "every day" for over a week starting on day 1? I maintain that is not a realistic expectation.

I agree
If a new hiker asked if it was "plausible" to do 25 miles per day for 9 days from Ga to Dav. Gap , the answer would be a resounding no.
If they asked if it was plausible to do 15 miles per day for 5 days on easier terrain, the answer would be a resounding yes

This question was somewhat in the middle.

For someone in good shape, with the right mental expectations and committment, and carrying a pack < 25 lbs, Id say its very possible even if they have minimal experience.
Of course, that doesnt mean it would be enjoyable.

fiddlehead
05-14-2013, 00:49

Chances are he won't make it.
That doesn't mean he shouldn't try.

max patch
05-14-2013, 09:59
Chances are he won't make it.
That doesn't mean he shouldn't try.

I agree with you totally. He has someone who will pick him up wherever he ends up; it doesn't matter in this case how far he hikes.

Austin_Knott
05-14-2013, 13:20
Hike your own hike mate.

Some people forget what its like to be young like us (; Keep your thinking positive, your mind clear, and your feet dry. You will love the experience regardless of what happens. Best of luck.

PosterNutbag
06-09-2013, 10:04
Update on my hike! I made it from Smith gap PA to stormville NY in a total of 8 days. My longest day was 28 miles and the shortest was 16 ( in the pouring rain friday). It was an amazing adventure, and definitely now reinforces my thoughts of doing a thru hike after I graduate college.

bigcranky
06-09-2013, 11:24
Very cool, and good for you.

kolokolo
06-09-2013, 19:32
Fantastic! Sounds like you enjoyed it, and that's the most important thing.

d3v
06-13-2013, 18:21
Glad to hear it, well done to you. What weight was your pack? What footwear did you wear?

prain4u
06-14-2013, 01:05
Glad you enjoyed yourself. Glad it was a good safe time and that you were able to log some pretty good mileage. My hat is off to you. If I was in your area, I would buy you the beverage of your choice as a form of celebration and congratulations. Way to go! It was not 200 miles in 9 days. (More like 160 miles in 8 days--if I understand you route correctly). However, it was still a fantastic "achievement".

QUESTION: Would you personally want to do that same pace (or even faster and farther each day) AGAIN (at the very start of a long hike) or NEXT TIME would you prefer to do a slightly slower pace in the first weeks of a long distance hike?

RockDoc
06-14-2013, 01:30
This is nothing new, most of us have dabbled in big miles at one time or another.
On my last hike I did 475 miles of VA in 26 days; mostly 20+ mile days, fairly tough hills, no days off (don't try this at home).
Oh, and at the age of 55!
But it did become wearisome and when I do Tennessee this fall I'm planning 10-12 mile days and ENJOYMENT.
You see a fair number of thru hikers doing big miles, but I would have to say the more interesting people to talk to are doing are more reasonable trip, with plenty of room for sitting down and chatting, etc.

PosterNutbag
06-14-2013, 07:49
my pack weight was close to 30 with 4 days food and 3 lieters of water. I wore the brooks cascadias and loved them

prain4u
06-14-2013, 09:04
This is nothing new, most of us have dabbled in big miles at one time or another.
On my last hike I did 475 miles of VA in 26 days; mostly 20+ mile days, fairly tough hills, no days off (don't try this at home).
Oh, and at the age of 55!
But it did become wearisome and when I do Tennessee this fall I'm planning 10-12 mile days and ENJOYMENT.
You see a fair number of thru hikers doing big miles, but I would have to say the more interesting people to talk to are doing are more reasonable trip, with plenty of room for sitting down and chatting, etc.

Hiking consecutive bigger mile days is certainly not a new thing--and plenty of folks hike bigger days than the OP. However, such hiking often comes a little later in someone's hike--after they have their "trail legs". I guess what I found impressive is that he did this right "out of the gate"--at the very start of his hike. He is also "just" 18 years old. Thus, his years of long distance hiking experience are probably relatively limited (unless he started at age 10 or 12!). I think this is a fairly impressive accomplishment--especially for someone age 18 and solo.