PDA

View Full Version : Lightest Waterproof 4-Season Tent??

BostonBlue
05-11-2013, 18:53
Any suggestions on best 1 or 2 person tent that is waterproof, light and able to endure winter conditions?

garlic08
05-11-2013, 19:13
Tarptent Scarp might be one possibility.

Dogwood
05-11-2013, 19:22
Any suggestions on best 1 or 2 person tent that is waterproof, light and able to endure winter conditions?

Google is your friend. If you had Googled that it would be faster and you would already have a good answer with options. What you are doing is akin to standing under a street sign asking what street your on.

bigcranky
05-11-2013, 19:45
Well, a 4 season tent ought to be waterproof pretty much by definition. You'll need to define what you mean by "winter" before you'll get good answers, though. Winter in the Presidentials is a little different from winter on the Florida Trail. If you're in Boston and you'll be hiking in NH or ME in winter then there aren't too many really light tents that will hold up. The Scarp might do it if you site the tent properly. Otherwise start looking at the Hilleberg Black Label tents. The Nammatj 2 is only 2 kg packed, which is pretty light for a winter tent.

Ktaadn
05-11-2013, 19:46
Mountain hardwear direkt 2

BradMT
05-11-2013, 20:51
Black Diamond Firstlight...

BostonBlue
05-11-2013, 21:08
Google is your friend. If you had Googled that it would be faster and you would already have a good answer with options. What you are doing is akin to standing under a street sign asking what street your on.

I did google this first. Also took a look at REI and Amazon. Try it yourself and see how much information you can obtain while filtering through all the ads and less than stellar claims. I was under the impression that one of the many purposes of WB was to discuss equipment and receive honest opinions from members.

To everyone who helped, I greatly appreciate it.

finish9
05-12-2013, 01:29
Look at Stephenson warmlite tents, I've had mine for 17 years. Still going strong

Lyle
05-12-2013, 08:07
Look at Stephenson warmlite tents, I've had mine for 17 years. Still going strong

As long as you don't mind paying TOP DOLLAR, with atrocious after sale service/warranty service.

jeffmeh
05-12-2013, 10:16
Well, a 4 season tent ought to be waterproof pretty much by definition. You'll need to define what you mean by "winter" before you'll get good answers, though. Winter in the Presidentials is a little different from winter on the Florida Trail. If you're in Boston and you'll be hiking in NH or ME in winter then there aren't too many really light tents that will hold up. The Scarp might do it if you site the tent properly. Otherwise start looking at the Hilleberg Black Label tents. The Nammatj 2 is only 2 kg packed, which is pretty light for a winter tent.

Yep, defining what type of winter conditions you expect to encounter makes an enormous difference to the suitable options.

swjohnsey
05-12-2013, 11:17
Light 4-season tent is an oxymoron. If you are looking for a tent that is adequate for the conditions on the AT take a look at the Big Agnes Flycreek UL 1 - 3. Very popular on the trail, very light, not tooo expensive.

Sarcasm the elf
05-12-2013, 12:27

Second this, it all depends what kind of winter conditions you plan to encounter. I hike year round in CT, MA, and southern NY which are all relatively low elevation and have always been happy my three season tent and my zero degree sleeping bag. If I were to hike farther north or in more exposed mountainous areas then I would need to get a heavy duty winter tent. In practice, mostpeople who do serious winter camping have a heavier very reliable winter tent and then have a much lighter tent for three season camping.

grayfox
05-12-2013, 13:59
BB, when I saw your thread I was hoping that someone would give you a good answer. A few years back I tried to find a family size, two adults and two kids, winter tent that I could lift and wouldn't break the bank. I ended up getting a Eureka Mountain Pass 3 but was never very happy with it.

As you probably have learned, anything that will take snow is pretty heavy. The best snow designs are A-frames but the trade off is that they are a problem in windy conditions. Still, the old Eureka Timberlines were quite good in snow and sturdy when staked down well. I may go back to that design when the one I bought wears out.

I am experimenting with Tipi designs made of silnylon and am pleased with the weight to strength ratio, when natural material can be found for poles or suspension. There are several commercial versions available. Golite has some nice designs that you might like.

winger
05-12-2013, 16:01
Another vote for the tarptent scarp.

Venchka
05-12-2013, 22:05
If I were shopping for a proven winter tent, I would be looking for the largest solo tent or the smallest 2 person tent with proven winter survivability qualites. Two doors, large vestibules, adequate ventilation, room for you and your gear to ride out a storm. Weight would be low on my priority list. You Tube has a lot of videos of tents that work in winter and some that don't.
Tipi Walters, of this forum, has a lot of good advice on winter tents.
A Hilleberg 2 person 4 season tent is a good place to start looking and a good yardstick to judge other tents by.
Did you look at Outdoor Gear Labs reviews and videos?
I own a great little winter tent. My only complaint: at 20 sq. Ft. It is small. I should have bought a larger tent. I made the mistake of picking the lightest of 3 tents I was considering. I won't do that again.

Wayne

BostonBlue
05-12-2013, 23:23
Thank you for all the suggestions. Greatly appreciated!

Venchka
05-13-2013, 08:53
Anyone shopping for a winter tent may find this Outdoor Lab testing series interesting.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/4-Season-Tent-Reviews

I would add that a good, bombproof tent is only the beginning of a complete winter backpacking kit. Actually, the tent may be the second item selected after choosing a proper winter sleeping bag.

Wayne

leaftye
05-13-2013, 10:14
Well, a 4 season tent ought to be waterproof pretty much by definition.

No, not really. Many 4 season tents are named such that you'd believe they're for all 4 seasons when in fact they're really only good for one season, the 4th season. Black Diamond has some tents like this, and their older fabric was notorious for this. They were fantastic in the 4th season, but problematic if it rained.

bigcranky
05-13-2013, 11:02
No, not really. Many 4 season tents are named such that you'd believe they're for all 4 seasons when in fact they're really only good for one season, the 4th season. Black Diamond has some tents like this, and their older fabric was notorious for this. They were fantastic in the 4th season, but problematic if it rained.

Understood. My hiking partner has done a lot of serious winter stuff up north like dog sledding, and his winter shell is just a tightly woven cotton anorak. Works great when the temps never get above freezing. I guess this comes back to the definition of winter, or 4-season -- around here, a winter tent had better be able to handle rain and lots of it.

Tom Murphy
05-13-2013, 11:19
Lots are good replies in this thread.

- define winter conditions

- three season tents can be used in New England winters if you camp in sheltered locations below treeline and are willing to wake up in the middle of the night to brush off large snow acculations; also need to be very conscious of venting since many three season tents do not have dedicated roof vents.

- four season tents are designed to handle wind and snow loads that three season tents can not handle

- some tents are really single season winter tents; the tent materials are designed to breathe in low temperature conditions and are not "water proof"; buyer beware

- you will want some room for all that winter gear, so a 2 person tent is really a solo tent

BradMT
05-14-2013, 00:50
Anyone shopping for a winter tent may find this Outdoor Lab testing series interesting.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/4-Season-Tent-Reviews

I would add that a good, bombproof tent is only the beginning of a complete winter backpacking kit. Actually, the tent may be the second item selected after choosing a proper winter sleeping bag.

Wayne

BS.

I've used my BD Firstlight in all seasons, mostly above timberline, and in prolonged downpours and heavy wind. It's been a bomber tent. I also know those that have used it in the Himalaya above 22,000.'

Always interesting to watch those guessing with no firsthand experience.

leaftye
05-14-2013, 13:39
BS.

I've used my BD Firstlight in all seasons, mostly above timberline, and in prolonged downpours and heavy wind. It's been a bomber tent. I also know those that have used it in the Himalaya above 22,000.'

Always interesting to watch those guessing with no firsthand experience.

What year did you buy yours? Black Diamond changed the fabric in the last few years. The complaints I've seen seem to be about the older fabric.

BradMT
05-14-2013, 21:35
What year did you buy yours? Black Diamond changed the fabric in the last few years. The complaints I've seen seem to be about the older fabric.

Mine is the older (yellow) fabric...

BradMT
05-14-2013, 21:46
Mine is the older (yellow) fabric...

Bought in 2006...

Tinker
05-15-2013, 02:00

"Four season" tents typically have too little ventilation for warm weather, especially if they're called "mountaineering" tents.

"Three season" tents typically have too much ventilation for extremely cold weather and not enough for extremely warm weather.

"Summer tents" typically have as much ventilation as possible, which makes them less than the best for either of the above, but perfect for summer.

For cold weather, high wind, possible snow loading conditions I would look at the tents from Hilleberg. I have a solo Akto which sheds wind wonderfully, weighs relatively little for its durability (my friend with a Tarptent Moment says that the nylon feels much more durable than the nylon on his Moment).

It has practically no "active" ventilation - just one little screened window way up at the top of the door (where you want it to be in cold weather so snow doesn't blow in and warm (relatively), moist air can vent upwards and out the vent in the fly (theoretically). In still, very cold conditions I'm pretty certain that nearly 100% of my nightime snores condensed on the underside of the inner body of the tent and the underside of the vestibule (getting frost down the back of your neck first thing in the morning can be a rude awakening, but such is the plight of the winter camper). I prefer my hammock and tarp down into the high teens, then the tent seems like a better idea.

"

leaftye
05-20-2013, 03:22
Right on Tinker. There's a lot of thinking that goes into the ideal tent for a particular trip, especially with 4-season tents. Some people, like bigcranky's friend, can get by with a cotton tent. Others are going to need a double-wall tunnel tent that can be double poled. Finding the perfect tent is very personal, takes a lot of thought or luck, and often a considerable amount of money.

Sapelo
05-20-2013, 06:33
Try looking at the Sierra Designs Convertible Tent. Mine is at least 10 years old. I think there are several different models that have been produced over the years. It has zippered ventilation in the body of the tent that makes it useful for summer conditions. It comes with one large vestibule - which you will need if you are doing true winter camping up north. You can buy the rear vestibule if you want. I slept in one on Acconcagua. It held up nicely in high winds. It has mutiple guy line attachment points. It is a little heavy; however, winter conditions up North or in the higher elevations of mountains are no where to skimp on safety. I have used mine all the way from the Florida Trail to Rainer.

brooklynkayak
05-20-2013, 12:29
Waterproof? Why would you need that:-)

After owning a few 4 season tents, I only use all season designs for backpacking as I prefer flexibility and light weight.

A common one would the Golight Shagri-la 1 or 2 with inner net tent. Reasonable light, inexpensive and bombproof in weather extremes.

Lighter tents of similar design are available for a little more money, MLD Patrol, GG Spinnshelter, ... and many others come to mind.

Also think about pyramids like the MLD Duomid or Trailstar and similar designs.

These shelter shed snow and wind well and can be as warm or cool as you want depending on the pitch.

All-in-one 3 season shelters often do poorly at the extreme ends of the spectrum, either extreme cold or extreme summer heat or in the case of dome shelters, the poles bending and/or breaking in strong winds. 4 season dome shelters are way too heavy.

Tunnel tents are usually a good 4 season choice, but slightly heavier than the A-frame or pyramid/tipi style.

Oslohiker
06-02-2013, 19:23

Hilleberg i so much stronger than most tents out there so you don't, for the most time, need a black label tent. They are meant for south pole expeditions (and similar conditions). I have tried out my Allak(red label) in really nasty conditions here in Norway, and it held up fine. It was mid-winter, and it was blowing so hard outside that we had problems going outside to "do our business" for two days straight.

tawa
06-02-2013, 19:49
Wow Dogwood what a novel idea! lol Perhaps u should google --attitude--character and service to others.

ATMountainTime
06-02-2013, 19:52

Was that response really necessary ? Im sure he was asking a serious question if anyone had exp with this...if I can't come here and ask for gear advice, this place would be pretty useless. just like your post.

Venchka
06-02-2013, 20:49
Call me old fashioned. I expect a modicum of self reliance and common sense before asking questions with multiple answers based almost entirely on personal opinion.
Opening with "I am havinmg trouble finding helpful information on ---------" will get more help than "What's the best Widget for Snipe hunting?"
As someone pointed recently, using words that end in 'est' won't get you very far either. They are too subjective.
In concluision, I have found lengthy discussions about winter tents on multiple forums. It only takes a few seconds to locate hours of research.

Wayne

q-tip
06-03-2013, 11:08
The BD First Light is not waterproof according to the manufacturer. Especially the old ones. I have one manufactured in 2007. it is "water resistant". that said, using the First Light in winter would not require waterproof since it is snow that falls. I have used the Silicone water guard and it has pretty much solved the issue. I also have used this on my tarptents and Wild Oasis tarp. Greatest stuff.