PDA

View Full Version : Titanium stakes as pot supports--Strength??

Crowe
05-12-2013, 18:36
I am about to buy some ti stakes for my hammock setup. I am also wanting to use a couple of these stakes as part of my cook system. I plan on using wood and alcohol as my fuel sources. I see that the ti-stakes are anywhere from 6"-7.75" long, and from what I can find-- between 2.5mm-3mm thick. The span of the pot supports would be approximately 5 inches (5" without any support) & I am planning on using a 850-900ml pot mug (MSR Titan or evernew mug pot).

Do you know how strong they will be (as a pot support) while used over heat. Would the weight (potentially almost 4 cups of water) be too much on the stakes when they are heated? I know that the ti stakes are used quite a bit in cook setups, I just would like to know if a span of 5" (maybe 5.5") combined with 4 cups (8lbs), and the heat would bend the stakes to the point of the pot falling :eek:. I don't care if my stakes are a little warped--they will get that way regardless. FWIW, I don't plan on heating the full capacity of the pots/mugs with water (normally just 2 cups)-- but if the issue arises, I would like to have that option if I needed it.

If you have any experience with a similar sized pot and span that would be great info. Thanks in advance!

Rasty
05-12-2013, 19:02
Plenty strong for 2# of water. Trail designs uses titanium tent pegs in just this way.

Dogwood
05-12-2013, 20:23
If I'm recalling my metric conversion factors correctly, 900 ml of H20 is about 2 lbs. Take that and add in the wt of your cooking pot(I think the MSR Titan Kettle is like 4-5 oz). That's about 2 lbs 5 oz AT MOST that you'll have on the stakes. Even the lightest wt Ti skewer stakes I've seen(like .17 oz each) which are basically thick wire should hold up your size pot just fine. Like Rasty said TrailDesigns and a couple of others employ stakes in their cook set ups. The DIY "STOVIES" have a great variety of cook set ups employing stakes too.

Crowe
05-12-2013, 20:30
Thanks for the responses. I definitely did the math wrong. In my mind It went "4 cups of water, a gallon of water is 8 lbs" . One side of my brain said cups, while the other was thinking quarts. Sorry for the math error. Thank you much for the response.

Dogwood
05-12-2013, 21:17
You too hah? I've got a good handle on engineering, chemistry, and math conversions but that cups and pints and gallons tends to befuddle me at times.

Malto
05-12-2013, 21:34
I have been using them for a couple of years,

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2013, 21:58
1 cup weight = 8.3 ounces not including pot. Titanium melts at 1668C or 3034.4F and guess what exspect an occational deforming depending on the thin side of the stake... but here is the rub water boils around 212 -200 depending on altitude. so if your pot is on it .. the temp is dissipated thru the equipement and water. Can you melt tin foil and flashing? yup.... Hope that helps...

Dogwood
05-13-2013, 00:52
I was AMAZED when I witnessed someone boil water in a ziploc plastic baggie. Temperature(energy) is also dissipitated into fingers if you pick up a hot pot with your bare hand! It's a scientific fact.:D

Crowe
05-13-2013, 17:06
1 cup weight = 8.3 ounces not including pot. Titanium melts at 1668C or 3034.4F and guess what exspect an occational deforming depending on the thin side of the stake... but here is the rub water boils around 212 -200 depending on altitude. so if your pot is on it .. the temp is dissipated thru the equipement and water. Can you melt tin foil and flashing? yup.... Hope that helps...

I think I understand what you are saying-I think:confused:. I know for sure I have melted the tin foil and the flashing

Dogwood
05-13-2013, 18:39
.... I know for sure I have melted the tin foil and the flashing

Those aren't congealed silver ingots in some AT campfire rings! Can you say foil oh fooey.

Rasty
05-13-2013, 20:29
I was AMAZED when I witnessed someone boil water in a ziploc plastic baggie. Temperature(energy) is also dissipitated into fingers if you pick up a hot pot with your bare hand! It's a scientific fact.:D

Done that many times working as a chef. Your skin will actually slide across very hot metal on the water from your skin being boiled and creating a cushion of steam.