PDA

View Full Version : Need help planning a trip for friend's bachelor party.

AllenIsbell
05-12-2013, 18:36
Hey, all.

My hiking buddy is getting married. I, being his best man, am in charge of throwing his bachelor party. He doesn't want the traditional party, but would rather have a good time with friends out in the woods.

We would usually hit the AT, but not all of our friends hike, so we are looking for a place that we can drive up to and camp. Primitive camping is pretty much our only interest. We are hoping to land somewhere north GA, in or close to the mountains. We would prefer to be far away from the general public, so we can get the good ole' mountain camping experience (for our non-hiker buddies). There will probably be 10-15 of us. Some of us in tents, some in hammocks. BIG plus if it's near a fish-able stream/river.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. This has always been a great place for me to come when I am in need of help planning a trip!

Thank you!

Allen

Fakin the Funk
05-12-2013, 22:13
Hey, all.

My hiking buddy is getting married. I, being his best man, am in charge of throwing his bachelor party. He doesn't want the traditional party, but would rather have a good time with friends out in the woods.

We would usually hit the AT, but not all of our friends hike, so we are looking for a place that we can drive up to and camp. Primitive camping is pretty much our only interest. We are hoping to land somewhere north GA, in or close to the mountains. We would prefer to be far away from the general public, so we can get the good ole' mountain camping experience (for our non-hiker buddies). There will probably be 10-15 of us. Some of us in tents, some in hammocks. BIG plus if it's near a fish-able stream/river.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. This has always been a great place for me to come when I am in need of help planning a trip!

Thank you!

Allen

Check out Pisgah near Brevard. There are plenty of places you can do that up there. Graveyard Fields is really cool, and you can park very close. My definition of car camping is a mile in from the car though.

Luddite
05-12-2013, 22:59
I think you guys should go rafting on the Cahulawassee River.

moldy
05-12-2013, 23:01
How you going to get all the strippers to go along with this plan?

MuddyWaters
05-13-2013, 00:17
This must be the decoy for the fiance. "were going camping " "You wont be able to reach us, dont worry"

then off to Vegas...or argentina...

rocketsocks
05-13-2013, 00:24
This must be the decoy for the fiancee. "were going camping " "You wont be able to reach us, dont worry"

then off to Vegas...or argentina...yeah no problem honey...me and the girls are goin campin too:eek::)

daddytwosticks
05-13-2013, 07:14
Go canoe down that river Deliverance was filmed on...:)

Malto
05-13-2013, 07:22
Go canoe down that river Deliverance was filmed on...:)

Actually, there are some huge car camping areas down on that river, the Chatooga. On the GA side you can drive right in and on the SC side you carry in a few hundred yards. Another area is just north of Three Forks. I have done both areas and prefer the three forks area. You may want to check alcohol rules in any area if alcohol is part of the festivities. There is fishing on the Chatooga, plenty of streams around three forks, guessing there is fish in there.

ATMountainTime
05-13-2013, 09:25
I did the outdoors thing for my bachelor party. We rented a pair of cheap cabins, in a ATV park, rode 4wheelers, hiked, fished, stayed up late around a camp fire. Actually it was the MOST fun bachelor party ive been to. Often with my friends we do a cabin, nobody has to drive, fish, raft, hike etc. To me, and just my opinion, it's a lot more fun than the Gentlemen's establishments, because someone always seems to get in trouble...with the bouncer, the cops, the wife, etc.

Mags
05-13-2013, 10:25
My buddies and I an outdoor bachelor party (http://www.pmags.com/bachelor-party-on-foot-bear-lake-to-grand-lake-and-back), too. Did not want the stereotypical bachelor party.
Think you'll enjoy it more, too.

George
05-13-2013, 12:51
How you going to get all the strippers to go along with this plan?

just plan it for June 20 and they come streaming down the trail

max patch
05-13-2013, 13:15
just plan it for June 20 and they come streaming down the trail

Haha, that took me a minute....

I just threw up a little.

AllenIsbell
05-13-2013, 22:49
LOL No, guys. See, I am a photographer, so I take pictures of everything. I MUST bring the proof home! Haha. Nah, we would much rather be out in the woods while thinking about our lady friends and children at night instead of catching something that won't wash off from a stripper.

Actually, there are some huge car camping areas down on that river, the Chatooga. On the GA side you can drive right in and on the SC side you carry in a few hundred yards. Another area is just north of Three Forks. I have done both areas and prefer the three forks area. You may want to check alcohol rules in any area if alcohol is part of the festivities. There is fishing on the Chatooga, plenty of streams around three forks, guessing there is fish in there.

Awesome! Do you have any addresses to these locations, and where would I check to find out about the regulations, parking, fees, reservations, etc?

AllenIsbell
05-14-2013, 22:17
Anyone else have any suggestions?

-Primitive camping in North GA.
-Able to fit up to 15 people (Not sure of # of tents--Couple of people in hammocks).
-BIG plus if it's close to, or on the bank of a water source.
-Away from public.
-Prefer to be able to drive up semi-close. A 1/4 mile hike is okay, but no more.

daddytwosticks
05-15-2013, 07:20
Anyone else have any suggestions?

-Primitive camping in North GA.
-Able to fit up to 15 people (Not sure of # of tents--Couple of people in hammocks).
-BIG plus if it's close to, or on the bank of a water source.
-Away from public.
-Prefer to be able to drive up semi-close. A 1/4 mile hike is okay, but no more.
Three Forks area along the AT in north Ga. :)

AllenIsbell
05-15-2013, 10:43
Three Forks is a place that I am considering. A friend and ai have crossed through there a couple of times last Winter while hiking on the AT. The only campsite that we noticed was the one right near the skinny wooden bridge, which is right by the water and right by the road where people park.

Are their other designated campsites around the Three Forks area that has decent fishing?

max patch
05-15-2013, 10:52
Since you mentioned fishing...

Noontootla Creek at Three Forks is a native (unstocked) trout stream with special regulations. You will need a fishing license and a trout stamp. Artificial lures only, 14 inch minimum keeper size. I don't remember if the barb on the hook needs to be removed or not. I used to car camp up there years ago and would fish. Never caught anything. Never even had a bite. Its a very scenic place to fish but I wouldn't count on catching anything. This information is at least 15 years old.

max patch
05-15-2013, 10:58
One place you may want to consider is Hickory Flatt Cemetary about 5 miles on forest service roads from Three Forks. The AT is about 100 yards from the cemetary. Large open area that will easily hold your group. Large pavillion if it rains. No water. Pit toilets.

I also like the idea someone else mentioned about the Chatooga River.

AllenIsbell
05-17-2013, 15:44
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I am still open for more suggestions. We have a few places in mind so far thanks to you guys!