PDA

View Full Version : Teaching LNT

dmath010
05-13-2013, 11:19
I'm an 8th grade science teacher and we will have a little wiggle room in curriculum as the end of the year approaches. My students do a lot of front country camping, fishing, and hunting so I wanted to teach a mini unit on LNT. I'm trainer certified and all of my students will relieve an awareness certificate upon completion.

Since budgets are so tight, we can't actually get out of the classroom. One thing I want to incorporate is having the kids watch a "survival show" to identify practices an lack thereof of the 7 principles. Does anyone have a good idea of what to watch? Keep in mind my kids are 13/14 and I work at a school with conservative leadership. Ie no cursing, nudity, or pee-drinking.

Any other tips and tricks would be very much appreciated. Thanks

FarmerChef
05-13-2013, 11:31
For 8th graders (not that I'm an expert) they are just beginning their understanding of abstract thought, something my Tiger and Wolf cub scouts are almost incapable of. For them, LNT is very practical: do this, don't do that. See over there? That's not LNT. Stay on the path. Don't cut switchbacks. But teaching them in the classroom is almost futile as it's quickly forgotten once out on the trail, sidewalk, park, etc.

With older kids, I like to show the impact that NOT practicing LNT makes. For instance, pictures of the waste left on Mt. Everest or trash in what was once a picturesque stream, meadow, lake, forest, etc. Whatever can most practically relate to the places they enjoy now. Tomb robbing, graffiti on canyon walls or carved into trees, 4 wheeler tracks in pristine meadows, etc. See if you can find images that show before, during and after scenarios. Such as an old photograph (color preferable) of a meadow, lake, glacier, etc. Then a picture from a period when it was overused, polluted, abused. Then a picture of what it looks like today which will most likely show that it still hasn't recovered fully from the damage done.

Most survival shows don't worry about LNT as well they shouldn't. In a survival situation strictly adhering to LNT could leave you dead. So, personally, I would skip those. And I'm not really sure of what to substitute in it's place. If anyone on here has something to recommend, I'd love to be able to use it when I teach LNT.

If it helps, I just finished watching the Ken Burns series: The National Parks: America's Best Idea. There are some good sections in there that show some of the struggles the Park Service faced as they discovered the impact that camping overuse had at certain areas and how damaged they became. It would fit perfectly with your conservative requirements and if you could probably find a section that was maybe 10 or 15 minutes or more that spelled out the issues with lots of pictures and commentary.

Hope that helps!

rocketsocks
05-13-2013, 14:16
Might want to take a look back in time to the environmental pushes of the early 70's and see how they differ from today, one such campaign that I remember from my youth was "give a hoot don't pollute" the wise Owl was there mascot. Maybe the kids could come up with there own TV commercial, campaign and mascot.

At our local high school track and my Alma Mater I constantly see and pick up water bottles, there everywhere on the outdoor ball fields, I'm sure if you look around your school you may find some good examples of not in keeping with LNT...if you don't....That's a great sign :)21619here is but one example I recently saw on trail that I think will invoke some good conversation with the young folks, as it may be construed as patriotic...surely to get a dialog going.

Feral Bill
05-13-2013, 14:19
The Park Service likely has some materials/curriculum for you.

FarmerChef
05-13-2013, 15:16
Might want to take a look back in time to the environmental pushes of the early 70's and see how they differ from today, one such campaign that I remember from my youth was "give a hoot don't pollute" the wise Owl was there mascot. Maybe the kids could come up with there own TV commercial, campaign and mascot.

At our local high school track and my Alma Mater I constantly see and pick up water bottles, there everywhere on the outdoor ball fields, I'm sure if you look around your school you may find some good examples of not in keeping with LNT...if you don't....That's a great sign :)21619here is but one example I recently saw on trail that I think will invoke some good conversation with the young folks, as it may be construed as patriotic...surely to get a dialog going.

Classic LNT issue. I remember passing that and taking a picture of it while not taking a picture of the other graffiti on the rocks. My kids and I had a teachable moment as to which was "better" or if any of it was in keeping with LNT. It's certainly thought provoking. Good idea RS.

upstream
05-13-2013, 15:22
Have a photography contest, to show impacts from each of the 7 points, from their own experience? A winner in each of the 7 categories.

Some impacts may be better described by writing, so maybe a different contest for some.