PDA

View Full Version : Looking for weekend trip in the DC area

Spider
05-13-2013, 11:51
My girlfriend and I are going for a weekend backpacking trip and I'm trying to decide where I want to take her. I live in Northern Virginia and am not trying to travel more than 2-3 hours away. My typical go-to is some Shenandoah circuit route but I'm looking for other options. I've done all the AT from NY to Shenandoah but can't think of any spectacular spots in this immediate area. Ideally I'd like a hike swimming hole and not too crowded, but if not at least some good views and whatnot. Looking to take it easy with ~25-30 miles and don't care if it's an out-and-back or a circuit. Thank you for any suggestions!

Ktaadn
05-13-2013, 13:20
Check out Dolly Sods in WV.

Namtrag
05-13-2013, 13:25
Go look at MidAtlantichikes.com or hikingupward.com

FarmerChef
05-13-2013, 13:59
Check out patc.net for information on local hikes in the region. There are plenty to choose from. Dolly Sods is another good suggestion for really getting "out there."

jj2044
05-13-2013, 14:24
My girlfriend and I are going for a weekend backpacking trip and I'm trying to decide where I want to take her. I live in Northern Virginia and am not trying to travel more than 2-3 hours away. My typical go-to is some Shenandoah circuit route but I'm looking for other options. I've done all the AT from NY to Shenandoah but can't think of any spectacular spots in this immediate area. Ideally I'd like a hike swimming hole and not too crowded, but if not at least some good views and whatnot. Looking to take it easy with ~25-30 miles and don't care if it's an out-and-back or a circuit. Thank you for any suggestions!

Harpers ferry isn't that far from dc, you could start there and hike out and come back.... or you could even hike the O&C canal from dc to harpers ferry ( I think its about 40-45 miles, depending where in dc you start. but its easy walking,) and take the train back to dc...... there is a lot of nice little hikes around harpers ferry

Meriadoc
05-13-2013, 15:55
Massanutten Mountain just west of Shenandoah has good hiking. There are no real swimming holes but it tends to be less crowded than the national park. Duncan Knob has some great campsites just before the final summit climb. Strickler Knob also has a great view with some minimal rock scrambling. That area does tend to attract day hikers because of the views. I like doing the whole ~70 mile loop of the north mountain.

MDSection12
05-13-2013, 16:09
Dolly Sods for sure. Look up 'the forks' as a great campsite with a swimming hole... Just be warned; it's about a month behind the rest of the area up there weather-wise. I was there in June and the water was still pretty dang cold.

MDSection12
05-13-2013, 16:12
Here's the loop we did: http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id116.html

PD230SOI
05-14-2013, 13:50
Dolly Sods without a doubt, if.... You are willing to drive a bit further. It's a world of difference from SNP.

its been 7 years but when I get back to the States (NOVA) that's where I want to go.

LIhikers
05-17-2013, 02:05
How about starting a backpacking trip right in DC?
You could hike the C+O Canal trail which starts just blocks from the mall in downtown DC.
Sure it's very different than the AT, but so what.

Cookerhiker
05-17-2013, 08:29
I also like Dolly Sods but given that you only have a weekend, you may want some place closer.

The George Washington National Forest (http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/gwj/home) south and west of Shenandoah National Park has a vast network of trails including the Tuscarora and many others. Trout Pond (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTJw8jAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYweSJ0G-AAjlh1-wSi6cYtj9_ucJBf8bsdbAJu1_l55Oem6hfkhoZGGGSZAAByoDu m/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfME80MEkxVkFCOTBFMktTNUJIMj AwMDAwMDA!/?ss=110808&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110000000000000&pnavid=null&recid=73999&ttype=recarea&pname=Trout%20Pond%20Recreation%20Area%20-%20Home) has a nice lake for swimming and trails connecting to the network. You can find more info. from the PATC (http://www.patc.net/PublicView/).