PDA

View Full Version : Trekking poles (stories wanted)

mudsocks
05-13-2013, 23:04
Most of my hikes have been single day affairs as such my gear has been light <15lbs. I've never felt the need for poles but the prevailing wisdom would suggest they have their merit.

What kind of poles do you prefer? None? Bamboo? Random stick? Collapsible? Break-away-lanyards?

When did you poles save/foil you?

Stories wanted.

Sarcasm the elf
05-14-2013, 00:17
After being a skeptic for years I am now sold on trekking piles, It's the hiker equivalent of 4Wheel drive! I find them to be a big advantage on inclines and even more important as a knee saver on downhills. They are great for reducing the chance of lots of injuries ranging from falls and twisted ankles, to repetitive motion knee injuries. Most of us spend most of our waking hours sitting behind a desk, in a car, or in front of a TV, and frankly our legs, knees and stabilizer muscles aren't fully prepared for the rigors of the trail and hiking poles are a great tool to help us make up for this.

The good news is that they don't have to be too elaborate, You will want two of them, but it can be as simple as two strong sticks, and an old set of ski poles bought at a tag sale or thrift shop function just fine. The modern collapsible poles arent essential, but are really convenient and make it much easier to adjust them to the most comfortable height for you, as well as making it easier to transport in a car or train. If you do buy telescoping poles, don't get the cheap ones, the locking mechanisms are prone to failure. I have a personal preference to black diamond poles with flick lock type mechanisms, but Leki now makes an external flick lock version too and has an even better reputation for customer service (Leki also makes poles with an older twist-lock type mechanism, which I don't recommend based on my friends' bad experiences)

Hope this helps!

BirdBrain
05-14-2013, 00:20
I have cheap Wal*Mart flick lock poles. They really do help on uphills. I still am yet to fully master the downhill effectiveness of them (which is reputed to be their greatest asset).

Big Dawg
05-14-2013, 00:26
...what elf said!

I love my Black Diamond carbon fiber flick lock

In addition to putting you in "4 wheel drive", they assist in clearing small debris from the trail, and also help to deter critters... (snake, skunk, dog, etc.).

Kaptain Kangaroo
05-14-2013, 03:42
I think poles are an enormous advantage, especially when doing long distances as they can really reduce the stress on other parts of your body, especially the knees. However they do work best if you know how to use them correctly, including the right way to use the wrist straps. Also, it does take some time to get used to them, I hated mine at first, but now would not be without them.

I have 2005 model Leki's with the twist lock. They have many thousands of miles on them & have never let me down, so don't think that twist lock is no good. I do agree with the comments about getting good quality poles though. I think I would have been through many sets of cheap poles in the time my Leki's have lasted.

VTATHiker
05-14-2013, 05:09
Love the Leki poles I have (twist lock) - they're 8 years old and went with me on a thru-hike last year. I agree with the other positive comments up there and I'll add that after a few weeks hiking with poles, my push-up max almost doubled.

And you wanted a story. A paragraph from my trail journal:

"The rest of the day was a push to get over Saddleback Junction, the Horn and Saddleback. If going over a mountain called the Horn in a strong rain storm sounds intimidating, then you're right. Sideways rain and nasty wind above treeline. There was no thunder or lightning otherwise I wouldn't have tried it. The climbs themselves weren't bad but the descents were treacherous. It took easily twice as long to go down each one as it did to go up. With about two miles left to Rangeley I slipped on a split-log bog bridge and my left foot got stuck between the logs as I fell forward and to the left. While falling I thought for sure I was about to break my ankle but my left trek pole caught a rock and bent to about 60% of its normal length, holding my weight long enough for me to replant the other one and lift my weight off my ankle. Close call. Every northbounder I've talked to about poles tell me those things have saved them a hundred times over. Necessary gear as far as I'm concerned."

rickb
05-14-2013, 05:49
Stories wanted.

A ranger at Baxter State Park gave me a stick someone had left on the porch to his office at Roaring Brook Campground.

The stick saved me from countless falls and made it all the way to Springer. By the end it had to be at least 8" shorter due to wear and really too short, but I couldn't part with it. I am high tech now, but still use just one pole-- just feels right for me.

The Greenman
05-14-2013, 08:32
Like rickb, I also was a fan of the hiking staff. Would peel, sand, and polyurethane a "good" one! After reading all the positive press on trek poles decided to purchase them for a tryout a few years back, and never looked back. Have slipped - fell - and tumbled with them, knowing that some of those missteps would certainly have resulted in injury if I hadn't been hiking with trekking poles. Also, a lot of manufacturers utilize the poles as support in all kinds of shelters, tarps, bug flys ...so I use them in my tarptent as well.

Water Rat
05-14-2013, 09:37
Most of my hikes have been single day affairs as such my gear has been light <15lbs. I've never felt the need for poles but the prevailing wisdom would suggest they have their merit.

What kind of poles do you prefer? None? Bamboo? Random stick? Collapsible? Break-away-lanyards?

When did you poles save/foil you?

Stories wanted.

I recently (in the past year) asked questions about trekking poles. Had never used them, but am now a convert! I used to scamper up and down hills and never felt like I needed trekking poles. But, a trashed knee (sports) made me start thinking they might have merit. I have a pair of Black Diamond, cork grip, flick-lock poles...with added rubber tips. I absolutely love them!

I found that I naturally adjusted to having them along on the hikes, and actually hike a bit faster now. The downhills go faster and the rubber tips grip the rocks, so I have more confidence when going downhill. The trekking poles have definitely made a difference in how my knee feels at the end of the hike.

I use them on day hikes, as well as backpacking trips. Personally, it doesn't matter how much weight is/isn't on my back. The difference in how my knee feels when hiking is what drives me to use the trekking poles on all hikes. I can't think of any stories where my trekking poles have "foiled" me.

Additionally, some of the newer/lighter backpacking tents now utilize trekking poles as their uprights, rather than the traditional tent poles. That can save more weight off the back if you use a tent.

treesloth
05-14-2013, 10:13
I too was up in the air about needing/using them. I wanted to believe they'd work for me, as I'd read so many positive accounts about their effectiveness. I purchased a shelter that needed trekking poles in order to pitch it, and I set out on a 60 mile shakedown hike.

So, I didn't 'learn' how to correctly use them before I started; I was just 'walking', and placing them down randomly on either side, however they fell with no particular timing to my method. I failed to see any advantages with them (short of holding up my shelter). After my hike, I was a bit frustrated with them but knew I needed more research. Now, many trips later, I've learned the technique that works for me and I'll always use them. It's basically pretty simple - as my left foot strikes the ground, so does my right pole. Repeat for next step with left pole. Repeat, repeat, repeat. This ensures that anywhere around 10-15% of the weight on my back is being absorbed by the opposing pole as it's striking the ground at the same time. Also, in a way, I feel like I'm somewhat 'propelled' along by this motion. So while this is happening, I get into a 'zone' where I'm just walking and with the poles 'helping' me along, the miles just melt away. I'm sure others would agree with this.

I've seen some hiking videos of late where very experienced people with a LOT of miles are using the method of just letting the poles strike the ground whenever and wherever they happen to fall as they walk along. I don't see how this takes advantage of what the poles are supposed to do (help take weight off your legs at very strategic and helpful points of your gait). It makes the poles look like dead weight to me, when used in this fashion. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to how this could possibly work. I know it didn't do squat for me.

MkBibble
05-14-2013, 10:46
What they've all said... On my first trip, I accidentally left my poles at the hotel, and I ended up leaving the trail early with very painful knees. Since then, I have used poles every time and had no issues. I just bought cheap Walmart poles to see if I wanted to use them; they have served their purpose. I did make the mistake of borrowing some better poles and I can tell you that they are much better - like driving a sports car rather than a log truck... I haven't gotten around to replacing mine yet, but I will need to at some point. Get the poles, you will be much happier!

A.T.Lt
05-14-2013, 10:59
Completed a 3 day hike last week using poles for the first time....absolutley a huge difference they make!

EllieMP
05-14-2013, 11:39
Thank you Water Rat for the good news on the Black Diamond poles. I just got mine that appear to be the same Black Diamond as the ones you are using. They didn't come with tips and I was planning to go to REI today to get some. Maybe this afternoon I'll get up in the canyon and try them out. Not being used to poles, they do seem a bit awkward. I'll need to figure out the right length adjustment for my height and stride. They also will be used for my tent poles next year and I will have to practice setting that up as well. I'm already anxious for the hike and have been researching and working out to be in the best shape I can be to make it all the way!

mrcoffeect
05-14-2013, 11:42
my second hobbie is wood working. so i love picking up a stick from off the trail and wittling away on it in the evening.
but i always bring my five foot birch stick from home. i've carved the top of it so it has a knob that helps when i set my tarp up like a wedge or lean to style. the stick forms the doorway.when i lash the tarp to the stick the knob on top stops the slippery tarp from pulling off the stick when windy. but i always find a second stick to hike with and to carve on when im just relaxing. and when i return home after my hike i have another stick to add to my collection. And i agree two sticks=4wheel drive.

mrcoffeect
05-14-2013, 12:02
I've seen some hiking videos of late where very experienced people with a LOT of miles are using the method of just letting the poles strike the ground whenever and wherever they happen to fall as they walk along. I don't see how this takes advantage of what the poles are supposed to do (help take weight off your legs at very strategic and helpful points of your gait). It makes the poles look like dead weight to me, when used in this fashion. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to how this could possibly work. I know it didn't do squat for me. depending on the terrain sometimes i'll plant my sticks firmly at other times their just along for the ride for a stride or two. when going up hill i plant firmly and push with all my arm strength. this helps give the legs a little break, and keeps good blood flow to my arms, my shoulders and neck don't ache as much at night from the weight of the pack restricting blood flow to that area all day long

Water Rat
05-14-2013, 12:10
Thank you Water Rat for the good news on the Black Diamond poles. I just got mine that appear to be the same Black Diamond as the ones you are using. They didn't come with tips and I was planning to go to REI today to get some. Maybe this afternoon I'll get up in the canyon and try them out. Not being used to poles, they do seem a bit awkward. I'll need to figure out the right length adjustment for my height and stride. They also will be used for my tent poles next year and I will have to practice setting that up as well. I'm already anxious for the hike and have been researching and working out to be in the best shape I can be to make it all the way!

Mine didn't come with the tips when I bought them. I ended up grabbing a paid of Leki pole tips. Have had zero issues with them and love the grip on the rocks! :)

Ktaadn
05-14-2013, 12:49
I have used Black Diamond poles for a handful of years now. I think they are great for uphill, downhill, and level ground. The one thing that I haven't seen mention is how nice it is to have them when rock hopping across a stream. They give me a lot more confidence and are potential life savers in freezing weather.

tf bear
05-14-2013, 14:36
They are awesome to lean on when you are standing still. You can tap out a rhythm when you are on board walks or rocks. At a minimum they are good for clearing cob webs and moving small branches out of the way. And you can poke things too! Oh and what everyone else said!

jeffmeh
05-14-2013, 16:16
Pretty useful for nudging a snake off the trail, too.

louisb
05-14-2013, 16:42
...what elf said!

I love my Black Diamond carbon fiber flick lock

In addition to putting you in "4 wheel drive", they assist in clearing small debris from the trail, and also help to deter critters... (snake, skunk, dog, etc.).

What he said.

--louis

MuddyWaters
05-14-2013, 23:03
I've seen some hiking videos of late where very experienced people with a LOT of miles are using the method of just letting the poles strike the ground whenever and wherever they happen to fall as they walk along. I don't see how this takes advantage of what the poles are supposed to do (help take weight off your legs at very strategic and helpful points of your gait). It makes the poles look like dead weight to me, when used in this fashion. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to how this could possibly work. I know it didn't do squat for me.

On flat ground they are a bit superfluous, but they do help timing for going fast.

On steep uphill, or downhill is where they shine.

Uphill, takes some load off legs
Downhill, aids balance so you can go faster, especially over rocks,etc.
Also takes some of impact load off of legs , IF you go slow and use them for that.

AllenIsbell
05-14-2013, 23:09
One day I was like, "who needs trekking poles?"

The next day I was like, I need trekking poles."

Bought some. Will never go back without them.

Big Dawg
05-14-2013, 23:53
Wonder if Lone Wolf will ever give in to poles? That sure would be a sight. He'd sure have to eat a lot of crow if he ever became a fan of poles.

Another Kevin
05-15-2013, 09:39
After my hike, I was a bit frustrated with them but knew I needed more research. Now, many trips later, I've learned the technique that works for me and I'll always use them. It's basically pretty simple - as my left foot strikes the ground, so does my right pole. Repeat for next step with left pole. Repeat, repeat, repeat. This ensures that anywhere around 10-15% of the weight on my back is being absorbed by the opposing pole as it's striking the ground at the same time. Also, in a way, I feel like I'm somewhat 'propelled' along by this motion. So while this is happening, I get into a 'zone' where I'm just walking and with the poles 'helping' me along, the miles just melt away. I'm sure others would agree with this.

I use the same technique as you when the treadway is graded well enough for long-stride walking. It really helps with the knees, as you observe. A fine point is actually to use the wrist straps. If you have them adjusted right, you hardly have to hold the pole grips - some gentle finger pressure steers the poles, and then you lean into the straps. If I don't do that, my hands and wrists get sore.

When it gets steep and rocky enough, I go more to a 'spider' technique: move one point of support at a time. Left pole, right boot, right pole, left boot. At that point, the poles are more about keeping me from falling than they are about helping me along. I resort to this technique just short of where I stow the poles so that I have my hands free to scramble. (I wind up hiking a fair amount in the sort of terrain where the rocks threaten to roll an ankle at almost every step.)

If you think of a horse's gait, the 'long stride' technique of using the opposite pole is like a horse's trot, the 'move one point of support at a time' is a horse's walk. I've seen people use poles like a pacer, placing the same-side pole, but that always feels off-balance to me.

I've also seen people using both poles together (especially when they're favouring a particular problem knee). I suppose that's a canter. Never seen anyone try to gallop with them. That'd be a sight. :eek:

Since I mentioned stowing the poles for scrambling, I might mention how I put them away. I've threaded D-rings on the load lifter straps of my pack, and zip-tied snap hooks just below the grips of my poles. Once I've collapsed a pole, the pointy end goes in a gear loop on the pack, and the snap hook clips to the D-ring. That lets me stow them securely without needing to take my pack off. I really wish that I could work out a version of the same trick for snowshoes.

Edited to add: Mine are Komperdell, aluminum, flick-lock, cork grips. I've fallen across a pole a few times, and suspect that would be death to carbon fiber. I've never heard from anyone who swears by twist-locks, and a lot who swear at them. Cork doesn't last forever, but it's a lot more comfortable than rubber. And Komperdell isn't all that expensive.

PA Ryan
05-31-2013, 15:12
Another +1 for trekking poles.

Straps on them are awesome as well. My straps are at the top of the pole, so I usually put my whole wrist through the strap, allow the strap to come up my palm and between my thumb and index finger, and grab the handle and the strap. That way I don't need a death grip on the pole 100% of the time, and I can hold them loosely and still support myself by the strap if I trip. I don't know how many times poles have saved me from turning an ankle or going down completely.

They are also handy for clearing giant spider webs if you're the first one out in the morning.

I just bought two skiing poles at a garage sale, machined an adapter out of aluminum to fit tight in one half, slip fit in the other, then stretched a piece of bungee cord inside and pinned the bungee in the top half and bottom half. Boom, collapsible, bungeed trekking poles. Been using them for hundreds of miles now. Will post pics if requested.

Kerosene
05-31-2013, 15:34
One more convert after decades of not using poles. They really do help me descend, lessening the load on my knees. They also give me two more points of contact with the ground, which can be very useful on uneven terrain (especially stream crossings). They've saved me from a number of falls, although they've gotten in my way a few times also!

I made the wise decision to stow them (newer Leki flick-lock titanium poles) soon after entering Mahoosuc Notch, using my hands to get over the rocks (could've used gloves), which helped me get through in under 80 minutes despite my advancing age. The handles went into the side pockets of my GG Nimbus Ozone, with the points sticking upward and held against the pack by the upper compression straps. Worked like a charm.

DLP
05-31-2013, 15:55
I used to be really bad at sliding and falling on my butt walking downhill and I almost never fall anymore, since using poles. I did take a face plant (tripping on a root), even with the poles in Yosemite a couple of years ago and was filthy and bloody. The tourists were very impressed and assumed we'd been out for weeks and many people asked, "OMG! How long have you been out?!?!?" Answer from my son, "Two hours".

At any rate, I do fall MUCH less, but I'm really careful and slow when I'm alone. But the poles have helped a lot.

First set of poles were some really nice, expensive, collapsible Lekis. However, I almost never adjusted the length on them and always sort of worried about the collapsible mechanism and springs breaking. But I accidentally left them on an Amtrak train last summer when a conductor gave me bad info on a transfer and hurried me off a train at the wrong station. :(

Used my ski poles all last summer (<-------in photo) which I got used for $10 in 2001, if I remember correctly. But I would rather not take them hiking and would rather save them for skiing. But it was nice not to have to worry about moving parts breaking.

Have a "new" set of ski poles that are really too long for skiing (would work if I were 6'6", but I'm 5'2"... in the morning...), that I got for $5. Only thing I don't like about them is the color - white with purple handles, straps and purple baskets. Kind of like "Barbie goes skiing!" and they just look "wrong" to me for hiking (or skiing), but they work fine. I like this length better for going downhill and works great with tarp. Many people(women) have commented, "I LOVE your purple poles! Where did you get them???". They are pretty unique... :)

litefoot2000
05-31-2013, 17:32
I thru hiked with Leki's but presently do not use poles. I think that they both saved me from falls and caused me to fall. Once you reach the glacier line in PA, where the rocks start, poles are just in the way.

Cookerhiker
05-31-2013, 17:38
My story - I've been backpacking for >35 years but never more than short section hikes ~50 miles. However, some of those hikes were in the White Mountains so I had experienced knee pain. But even though I figured that poles would alleviate the knee pain, I resisted because I thought they'd be a PITA on ascents.

Starting my longest section hike of over 100 miles in '04, I decided to try poles and have used them ever since. I feel they've helped me on ascents as well as descents. I finished the AT in '05 and doubt I could have lasted through Maine without poles.

I began with REI brand. When one of them broke after 1,000 miles, REI offered a greatly reduced upgrade price to a pair of Black Diamonds. I've been using them for 8 years now with one shaft replaced and one new set of pole tips. The only thing I don't like about them is the difficulty in collapsing them.

Odd Man Out
05-31-2013, 17:38
I use my wife's poles when she isn't using them. Another advantage not yet mentioned (I think) is they keep my hands from swelling. BD Alpine Ergo Cork poles are on my father's day shopping list. Hopefully the kids will come through.