PDA

View Full Version : Female Hiking Thermal/Base Layers

neuraljitter
05-14-2013, 00:59
Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out the most ideal base layers for petite ladies. I am 5'0" and 106 lbs. I am seeking something lightweight, both in terms of warmth and physical weight of the shirt/pants. Also, something good at wicking sweat/moisture. Something odor resistant would be nice as well, but I can deal with being smelly. Any suggestions? I was considering ordering 3/4 length thermal pants due to my shortness.

Swordpen
05-14-2013, 01:28
I have been reading about Merino wool underpants.

Now, I bought some Merino wool hiking socks, because I heard this doesnt stink. Well, after testing/ alternating 2 pairs for 4 months (each pair got washed 1x a week) I was in agreement.

So, I looked for Merino wool undershorts. None. Period. For women. I tried the synthetic antibacterial Ex Officio mens boxers that they say wont stink. Forget it. They stink after 1 day.

So, I bought mens Merino wool Smartwool Boxer Briefs. Same thing as the merino wool socks. They dont stink, they keep you dry (which, wetness <- which promotes bacterial growth, is the thing that is going to cause stink, & possibly UTIs), & they dry fast.

Really, other than I felt a little initial weirdness wearing mens boxer briefs (which I got over in 15 minutes as these are so comfortable), I got the idea actually from Andrew Skurka's blog:

http://andrewskurka.com/2013/female-hygiene-guide-tips/

Black pair to double as swimming shorts, a lighter color pair for everyday use.

HTH

Water Rat
05-14-2013, 09:05
Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out the most ideal base layers for petite ladies. I am 5'0" and 106 lbs. I am seeking something lightweight, both in terms of warmth and physical weight of the shirt/pants. Also, something good at wicking sweat/moisture. Something odor resistant would be nice as well, but I can deal with being smelly. Any suggestions? I was considering ordering 3/4 length thermal pants due to my shortness.

Hmmm... I have recently been using the Smartwool Microweight long underwear for the cooler days (shorts on warmer days) when I hike. The wool does decrease the "hiker funk" smell, and I love that the Smartwool doesn't trap the sweat against my skin. Price is always a consideration, and these are kind of spendy... I was fortunate to receive these as a gift.

Trillium
05-14-2013, 17:27
very good link, Swordpen! I use the alternative strategy of using a fresh panty liner daily and packing out the used ones. My daughter mails about a week's worth to me in mail drops. However, I've just ordered 2 pr of merino wool boy shorts.

neuraljitter
05-15-2013, 14:55
Thanks for the replies guys! I actually hadn't thought about underwear yet. Though upon searching, it looks like Smartwool does produce some women's options now (in bikini, hiphugger, and boyshort styles). I love smartwool socks immensely - wish they were a bit cheaper though.

Any other ideas for thermal base layers? Trying to find a good balance of price and performance.

jeffmeh
05-15-2013, 15:36
There are usually good prices on merino base layers at http://www.departmentofgoods.com/sales/search.html?mv_session_id=XMHLe9Wk&q=merino#search=%26path%3Dq6d6572696e6f%257E%257Ec departmentofgoodsc12%2523%25239%2523%2523cm%257E%2 57Encdepartmentofgoodsc12s100000037%2523%25237%252 3%252321

I narrowed the search to Women's merino base layers. Some of the stuff is a merino/synthetic blend, so be sure to check that if you want 100% merino. They tend to discount last year's colors, and may not always be the least expensive, but they often are.

I'm a dude, and not affiliated in any way, except that I buy from them from time to time. :)

illabelle
05-15-2013, 16:45
Read through the Skurka blog and most of the comments. Only saw one mention of the Pstyle, a feminine urinary device. Very helpful in reducing issues with dampness and odor. Every woman backpacker should consider getting one.

Looking into the Smartwool too. That sounds well... smart!

elkie-girl
05-18-2013, 01:47
I love Minus33 brand and I own their "Franconia Midweight bottoms". Honestly, they are warm while snow camping, but absolutely no perspiration when sitting in a bar celebrating the "after the camping". I keep them in my "Essential 10" bag for summer, and wear them under my hiking pants if snow is expected.

Other brands offering Merino wool are e

elkie-girl
05-18-2013, 01:49
Other brands offering Merino wool are equally good. I like Minus33 mostly for fit.
There're some companies selling Merino Wool / Cotton mix (15% of wool, 85% of cotton or maybe even 50-50). They're very affordable. Stay away from those (or well, try them on your own risk, it's a free country).

Butterfly58
07-12-2013, 11:36
In thinking about what clothing I will need for next year's thru-hike, I'm wondering what weight underwear is necessary for the AT in early spring. Do I need heavy, mid-weight or lightweight or silk-weight? I live in FL and have never hiked in cold weather and probably won't have an opportunity to do so before my thru. I plan on buying merino but have no idea what exactly I need. And will I wear this while hiking or just sleeping?

elkie-girl
07-14-2013, 02:54
In thinking about what clothing I will need for next year's thru-hike, I'm wondering what weight underwear is necessary for the AT in early spring. Do I need heavy, mid-weight or lightweight or silk-weight? I live in FL and have never hiked in cold weather and probably won't have an opportunity to do so before my thru. I plan on buying merino but have no idea what exactly I need. And will I wear this while hiking or just sleeping?

I think midweight. Heavies are good for negative Fin winter, unlikely in AT in spring. Midweights are perfect with snow on the ground in positive-low F. Lightweight or silk weight? I'd better go with regular nylon tights then. I see no need in lightweight termal layers when it's hot.

elkie-girl
07-14-2013, 02:58
In summer, I wear my Merino33 when sleeping (you might think Los Angeles is too hot, but our mountains have really cold nights!) When snow is on the ground, I wear them on (with a skirt or thin pants during the day and something more substantial in the camp).

Water Rat
07-14-2013, 09:11

It's all about personal preference. I think the most common answer you will get will be mid-weight. But, answers will definitely vary. :) Personally, I use a mid-weight all year.

As for your question of wearing the long underwear for hiking, or sleeping... Again, that answer is based on personal preference. I use long underwear for both. In the spring, I hike in shorts with long underwear underneath. In colder weather, I sleep in long underwear. However, I do not sleep in the same long underwear I hike in. I do this for 2 reasons... I don't like to sleep in what I have been hiking in all day and if it has been raining, I like to be able to change into something dry when I get to where I am camping.

Happy hiking! :)