PDA

View Full Version : Looking for something to replace a Vapor Trail

AndrewAZ
05-14-2013, 02:08
I used a GG Vapor Trail to do the Arizona Trail this year, and using it was an experience I don't care to repeat on another trail. Between a 16-pound base weight, food carries of up to 5 days, and 4L water carries, most of the trip was spent pushing the comfort limit on the pack. Considering I ended up putting a small piece of a zlite in the gap between the back pad and the storage space, I think I would be better off with getting a pack with an actual frame, rather than something I jury-rigged myself. I'm cutting down my gear weight/volume, and I don't mind increasing the weight of my pack if it means I can carry comfortably.

I know the most frequent recommendation around here is the ULA Circuit/Catalyst, and they certainly have many features that are an improvement over the Vapor Trail (suspension, stays, mesh backing, usable side pockets, hip belt pockets...). There are two things I like about the Vapor Trail, though, and they are the heavy-duty hipbelt and extension collar/drawstring closure. That's about it.

I'm not familiar with all the smaller manufacturers, so is there a pack out there that has the best features of both? I can certainly live with a ULA pack, but I don't want to overlook a good alternative.

Dogwood
05-14-2013, 03:26
That's skimpy details in what you desire in a new pack to replace the GG Vapor Trail. I'll assume you want something in the same general volume range. A good replacement would be the HMG Windrider 3400. One in large torso was just sold here on WB yesterday for about $195 in practically brand new condition. The VT is about 3600 cubes and Windrider is 3400 but that doesn't count the volume in the exterior pockets so is probably/maybe even more with the Windrider(it's about 4000 cubes?). WR has removable stays, is made from somewhat durable Cuben hybrid material, is WP, has hip belt pockets, AND is less wt(about 30 oz compared to the VT 36-38 ozs). I can see the WR hauling 30 lbs. You might also consider some of the packs with frames/stays offered by Six Moon Designs, Gossamer Gear, as well as ULA in slightly larger volume models if that's what you think you need and want to patronize UL/light wt cottage manufacturers who make there products here in the U.S.

In all fairness to the GG VT sounds like it was you who paired the wrong kit with the right pack or vice versa. The VT is rated to 30 lbs. It handles that well with its suspension and beefy hip belt. I know because I logged upwards of 6k miles hiking with a VT. It was one of my first real significant wt reductions of an integral piece in my 3 season thru-hiking kit when I first started going UL years ago.

I would take the typical volume of your gear into consideration as well when opting for a new pack. I've seen two pieces of similar gear, even exact wt pieces of gear, but one has significantly greater volume. That kind of thing plays into pack volume needed. You also left out mentioning how, how often, what kind of hiking(thru-hiking?), etc this new pack is targeted for. Will this be your go to thru-hiking pack? For 3 season? What kind of hiking style or trails do you typically hike? How often do you typically resupply? What's the typical wt and volume of a day's trail food? What's your typical wt you'll be hauling in this new pack? These are important considerations when opting for a backpack.

Dogwood
05-14-2013, 03:34
BTW, one of the things I most disliked about the GG VT is its lengthy spindrift cowling. It seemed like it was too long. And, when maxed out with wt and volume I felt I had to be careful how I packed it to avoid a top heavy or high center of gravity. All other personal dislikes were trivial with the GG VT. WOW, have I and UL come A LONG way since the GG VT first hit the UL market. The GG VT would probably be considered by many current ULers, including myself, to really be a light wt backpack in todays current UL hiking gear market.

Chaco Taco
05-14-2013, 08:13
I used a GG Vapor Trail to do the Arizona Trail this year, and using it was an experience I don't care to repeat on another trail. Between a 16-pound base weight, food carries of up to 5 days, and 4L water carries, most of the trip was spent pushing the comfort limit on the pack. Considering I ended up putting a small piece of a zlite in the gap between the back pad and the storage space, I think I would be better off with getting a pack with an actual frame, rather than something I jury-rigged myself. I'm cutting down my gear weight/volume, and I don't mind increasing the weight of my pack if it means I can carry comfortably.

I know the most frequent recommendation around here is the ULA Circuit/Catalyst, and they certainly have many features that are an improvement over the Vapor Trail (suspension, stays, mesh backing, usable side pockets, hip belt pockets...). There are two things I like about the Vapor Trail, though, and they are the heavy-duty hipbelt and extension collar/drawstring closure. That's about it.

I'm not familiar with all the smaller manufacturers, so is there a pack out there that has the best features of both? I can certainly live with a ULA pack, but I don't want to overlook a good alternative.
Interesting. I have been hiking with the Vapor Trail for the past few years and found it to be great for load bearing if you pack it correctly. The back pad, for me is very durable. I guess its different when you have to carry 4L of water.
I just bought a ULA Catalyst and love this pack. Used it yesterday, fully loaded on Franconia Ridge. The hip belt is nice and durable and the pockets are secure to the belt unlike the VT, where the added hipbelt pockets sag. With that said, I had bought a Circuit a few years ago and did not have the proper gear for this pack (a 4 pound tent and heavy sleeping bag). My suggestion is to go light on everything else first, then get a pack.
The ULA Catalyst is a great pack and I would suggest it to you as a great alternative to the Vapor Trail. Ideally, any of Henry Shires tarptents work really well with this pack.

q-tip
05-14-2013, 17:50
I replaced mine with the GG VC Crown. 2.2 lbs, exterior pockets--love it..

AndrewAZ
05-14-2013, 19:20
That's skimpy details in what you desire in a new pack to replace the GG Vapor Trail. I'll assume you want something in the same general volume range.

You're right; sorry. My base weight is currently 16 pounds, and I'm working to cut it to 13-14. I use a Tarptent, so I don't have the volume/weight savings from using a tarp/bivy setup. Volume was never an issue with the VT--everything fit easily even with 5 days of food and 4L of water. I could probably go for a smaller volume than the VT, but not a large amount.

A good replacement would be the HMG Windrider 3400.

I've looked at those before, and I'm sorely tempted by the HMG Windrider 3400 Southwest. I will research them more and see what the consensus seems to be on the lack of load lifters. Otherwise, they seem to have every feature I want.

In all fairness to the GG VT sounds like it was you who paired the wrong kit with the right pack or vice versa.

Absolutely. It's nobody's fault but mine. It's a good pack but not the right one for my gear and the water I needed. I like the pack overall and wouldn't hesitate to use it on shorter trips with smaller food/water carries.

I would take the typical volume of your gear into consideration as well when opting for a new pack. I've seen two pieces of similar gear, even exact wt pieces of gear, but one has significantly greater volume. That kind of thing plays into pack volume needed. You also left out mentioning how, how often, what kind of hiking(thru-hiking?), etc this new pack is targeted for. Will this be your go to thru-hiking pack? For 3 season? What kind of hiking style or trails do you typically hike? How often do you typically resupply? What's the typical wt and volume of a day's trail food? What's your typical wt you'll be hauling in this new pack? These are important considerations when opting for a backpack.

Ideally, this would be my go-to, 3-season, thru-hiking pack. Using the AZT as a guide (since it's the only long trail I've done...), resupply was anywhere from 3-6 days apart, and 5 days of food weighed just over 7 pounds while easily fitting in a GG 12L tough sack. With 14 pounds of gear, 5 days of food at 7 pounds, and 4L of water at 9 pounds, I think my total weight should max out right around 30. The next trails I'm looking at are the Colorado Trail for this year and the PCT for next year, so 5 days/4L seem like realistic carries.

And, when maxed out with wt and volume I felt I had to be careful how I packed it to avoid a top heavy or high center of gravity.

This was my problem as well. It was difficult to pack the bag in a way that allowed the side pockets to remain usable for platy bottles while making best use of the interior volume.

Chaco Taco
05-14-2013, 19:33
So you got me to thinking about some of this being a vapor trail owner as well. I made some modifications on my Catalyst. I took out the pad and replaced it with two sections of three panel Thermarest zlite. This will also serve as my dogs "bed" or insulation in between our sleeping pads in the tent. I really like that there is a "bag" that detaches from teh inside of the pack. In the VT you have to unpack parts of it to get a 2L platy down the sleeve. The attachable diddy bag is sweet too. The bottle holders are easy to access wereas in the VT were difficult. I had mentioned the waste belt pockets are really nice. My arms always hit mine on my granite gear. Being a fan of the Vapor Trail I can see some of your points The capacity is great. You have to sacrifice some of that but the outer mesh pocket makes opening the pack only for watering up. You can throw snacks, rain gear, whatever into that mesh outer sleeve. I had a lid for my VT and it just wasn't practical. If you have a zlite as a sleeping pad, you cant really carry the VT with a lid. Anyway, good luck in your search. We have alot of the same gear and I am very happy with my Catalyst. I carry a tarptent or a HubbaX2. We go pretty light around 13 base. My wife has a Vapor Trail Ki and loves it. Id imagine her switching to a Circuit in a couple of years. Look at Six Moon Designs, Gossamer Gear also makes some sweet Packs, Hyperlight. Lots to choose from.

Dogwood
05-14-2013, 19:46
Hey, water wt and volume can be a wild card bitch. I'm with Chaco though. As long as I stayed about 30 lbs maybe push it for a day or two over that 30 lbs the GG VT suspension treated me well.

The only load lifters on my packs are packs that are designed to carry 35 + lbs.

Sounds like you need something in volume in the same general range. Again, it's that water wt hauling that can be a MoFo. The cuben is nice if you do a lot of wetter hikes. The hybrid cuben is much tougher IMO than just cuben even in the heavier just cubens but then you get into balancing durability with pack wt. If you are hiking n AZ in more abrasive conditions like the Superstitions, possibly going off trail in the Grand Canyon, canyoneering, or out in the Colorado Plateau you might enjoy/need the cuben hybrid. but don't let me get you gung ho on cuben. Plenty of super nice UL packs made from Dyneema that would suit you fine. It sounds like you are on your own path to losing wt sensibly. Wish you well.

Chaco Taco
05-14-2013, 19:51
I replaced mine with the GG VC Crown. 2.2 lbs, exterior pockets--love it..
This was almost my next pack

Del Q
05-14-2013, 20:05
Like many, as the years and my experience continues, gear has shifted

My ULA was wearing out...........bought an Qsprey Exos 58............to me this is a Cadillac backpack

Lightweight
Hip pockets - which are now a mandatory feature for me
Lots of pockets, came in handy
Well designed

I also like the firmer frame, carried better for me vs other packs mentioned in this thread. a LOT of thru hikers carry Osprey, pretty solid gear.

With 5 days of food, water and some whisky I am at 30lbs or so.

Dogwood
05-14-2013, 20:48
.....bought an Qsprey Exos 58............to me this is a Cadillac backpack.

First you get da money, den you get da power, den you get the women.... den you get the Osprey Exos 58.... a Cadillac of a backpack.

Ya wanna play rough? Cmon meet my little friend.... da Osprey Exos 58.

blue indian
05-14-2013, 21:10
Check out elemental horizons.

I just got a custom kalais about a week ago and was impressed with the work that went into the pack. Well thought out design and craftsmanship was great!

They also have some of the best customer service around. I communicated with Matthew (the owner and maker of every pack) numerous times dialing in my custom pack.

Highly recommended.

blue indian
05-14-2013, 21:15
I should also mention that I have used packs from osprey, ula, granite gear, gossamer gear and have found the elememtal horizons packs to have a great combination of all the features of these packs.