PDA

View Full Version : GoLite Tumalo Trinity vs Marmont PreCip

bad biscuit
05-14-2013, 06:11
Does anyone have experience with both of these? I'll use them around town as well as in the woods. The GoLite comes in around 10 oz, not sure about the Marmont. They look very similiar, seem to have the same features, and the GoLite is on sale for $75 and the Marmont is right around $80. Both do not include shippping....

I've heard lots about the Marmont, but the GoLite looks very tempting - because I know the weight AND on sale!!!

mxracer33x
05-14-2013, 12:13
The weight of the Marmot is about 13.1 oz. I have a Tumalo in the Pertex 2.5. I am very happy with it. I really like the newer versions Cuff cut, as mine is a bit short on me (I need 36-37" sleeves. These are 35-35.5") I like the cut of the hood and the location of the pockets and pit zips are adequate. Golites return policy is good, you will just eat some return shipping if you don't like something, But Id bet you will be happy.

Dogwood
05-14-2013, 13:10
Can't speak directly about the GolIte Tumalo 2.5 layer Trinity(10 oz) from personal use but the overall lighter wt GoLite Malpais 3 layer Trinity(7 oz), IMHO, is an improvement in several ways compared to the Marmot Precip. Besides being lighter wt, IMHO, the Malpais 3 layer Trinity technology is slightly more breathable than the Marmot Precip Dry Touch WP technology even without the pit zips of the Precip. I would say ROUGHLY both, the 2012 Precip and Malplais are equally as durable but perhaps give the slight nod in that dept to the Precip. I thru-hiked using the Marmot Precip. Wouldn't in humid wet weather again. The Malpais and Tumalo are not minimalist featureless fragile pieces of gear either! Everything else generally being the same I would opt for the Malpais over the Precip everytime. I got my Go Lite Malpais at a CO GoLite Outlet for $73. Relatively, it's my best guesstimate the 2.5 layer Tumalo will breathe better than the PreCip. The other 3 season true rain jacket that I think is better than the Marmot Precip but without pit zips and slightly less durable is the Marmot Mica(NOT Super Mica). I know around WB and the AT the Marmot Precip is what so many advise but IMHO I think there are other viable choices that might be better for some users. You might also check out the Montane Minimus Jacket(higher price pt than the Precip though) and Outdoor Research Helium II Rain Jackert(NOT the older Helium which was only marginally WP!).

Not sure where you might purchase the Precip but I know GolIte does returns. Buy both rain jackets you are considering. Do a side by side in the rain experiment with the Tumalo and Precip and come to your own conclusions. Return the one you don't want.

One other thing. IMO, two pieces of gear that are most misused or not properly matched to the hiker and the hiking conditions are shoes and rain jackets. Also, NEVER do I look at a rain jacket just as something for the rain.

q-tip
05-14-2013, 17:46
I just bought the Tumalo to be delivered this week. I hiked for 150 miles with the pre-cip, not happy with it. I have a Marmot Mica-excellent for warm weather rain gear, but I sweat a lot and the jacket wets out within an hour. So-the Mica is ok for warm weather, but the Tumalo I think will be my go-to jacket..

Dogwood
05-14-2013, 19:24
Unless you're REALLY dialing in a jacket for wind/light drizzly type rain conditions as a gram weenie as a long distance hiker another nice thing I find with rain jackets that are highly(more?) breathable, really light wt(like in the 7 oz area), and have features that let you vent like full frontal DOUBLE(two way) zips(as opposed to something that's a WP pullover like an anorak), adjustable bungeeed waist hem, and adjustable velcroed wrist cuffs, is that the wt difference between this type of TRUE WP rain jacket and a wind jacket is less so that I'm more inclined to just go with this type of UL rain jacket to double as my wind jacket/wind shirt and have the extra protection of a rain jacket without a significant wt penalty. A rain jacket also tends to provide SLIGHTLY more warmth than some(many?) 4-5 oz or so wind shirts/wind jackets. As an ULer my rain jacket is absolutely a layer I depend upon that helps me stay warm that I throw on even when it's not raining. Typically, REALLY UL TRUE rain jackets are not a MAJOR piece of insulation but this mentality of seeing my rain jacket for warmth even when it's not raining factors into the amount, types, and wts of my other apparel layering pieces to create a system that keeps me warm. It also helps simplify the amount of apparel I need to carry and as such plays into the volume of gear I'm hauling. And, that factors into the backpack volume size required. This is that gear integration or kit integration I mention often. I think ULers sometimes forget about volume of their gear and tend to focus almost entirely on the wt of it which I believe is a mistake when attempting to whittle away the last few ozs from your kit or reduce backpack size. I have found a REAL ENJOYABLE snowball effect as an ULer that takes place when I throw volume and compressability of my gear into the UL equation.

Two more opinions. I think pit zips are over rated. I personally don't think they do a lot to vent for the extra wt they typically entail especially when hiking in humid warmer weather. I've saved the pit zip features for my mountaineering treks and ridgeline hikes when I'm moving slower, I don't heat up as much, and I'm in cooler environs which is typically the opposite of when many folks opt for pit zips. Pit zips are on my more durable less OVERALL breathable heavier Arc Teryx hard shells used for above timberline NOT on my go fast go hard go long UL long distance hikes.

I mentioned this. A two way front zip on a rain jacket is a nice feature. It gives additional venting scenarios without having the jacket totally unzipped.

Some other features I find I long for in a rain jacket are ventable or mesh inner thru pocket linings. You do have to be careful with the mesh though. I've had no problems with the Go Lite Malpais mesh inner thru pocket linings after more than 2000 miles on it. Since I see my rain jacket as part of a system that keeps me warm it tends to reason I like rain jackets with pockets too. I took a Marmot Essence Rain Jacket which has no hand pockets on a Cool/Cold Fall Sierra High Route thru-hike where I experienced frigid snowfall and saw the mistake that I made by not making adjustments to my kit because I had no rain jacket pockets. Keeping my core(arse to shoulders, not forearms nor calves) and extremities(hands, feet, head) from bleeding heat is vital when I'm trying to layer up for cooler/colder conditions and stay safe but still go as light as I can. Putting my hands into rain jacket pockets can be a big part of being comfortable and decrease/stop the loss of warmth. Throw on some light nylon stretchy running gloves with my hands in those pockets and it becomes an integral part of staying warm and comfortable in cooler/colder hiking conditions even when it's NOT raining.

Another thing I've learned to look for in a rain jacket is a stiffened hood brim that keeps the brim from flopping in your face and obstructing vision. For this reason I tend to look for rain jackets that at the least have that multi adjustable velcro settings on the exterior nape that helps pull and keep the hood back. It's imperative for me as a long distance hiker to also be able to have a bungeed adjustable hood that seals around my face in strong winds and driving rain. micro The Golite people have thought of those features with the Malpais.

Spoke a lot about staying warm with a rain jacket but obviously so many hikers complain about over heating in a rain jacket and SO OFTEN just point at the rain jacket as the cause of this. While I'm the first to agree that breathability is relative and is a HUGE OVERUSED marketing term and while it is vitally important in how comfortable you feel while wearing the jacket especially in warmer more humid conditions I DO NOT THINK IT IS ALWAYS the determining factor in how comfortable one feels. Lots of things play into how breathable a rain jacket is or how you feel in it in real world use BUT THE MOST DETERMINING FACTOR IMHO IS THE USER! I notice folks who constantly complain about the breathabilty of their rain jackets yet DO NOT FULLY know how to use one and it's venting features in various conditions. I see these people regularly storming up hillsides like run away freight trains with their rain jacket cuffs tightened, front zip almost all the way up, pocket zips zipped shut, hem battened down for Katrina, hood cinched up until they resemble a squeezed lemon, with pants on, etc and they complain about the breathabilty of their rain jacket. ALL ALL ALL rain jackets can be overwhelmed with vapor under certain conditions IF IF IF you as the user ALLOW it to happen! Use a rain jacket's various venting options to their fullest, adjust your pace, adjust the other pieces you are wearing, take off other clothing, let down the hood occasionally, use that double(two way) chest zip etc etc etc BEFORE BEFORE you overwhelm the rain jackets capacity to let vapor escape.

That's my rant for today. Hope that helps someone. Throw me a fish and teach me something now.

mxracer33x
05-14-2013, 19:52
I think they all breath about as good as a plastic bag when zipped up. Definitely proper use of moving heat & moisture from perspiration out of the garment is going to directly affect your comfort. unfortunately the pack straps and contact along your back limit the flow of air along 50-60% of your surface. So this is where the pace comes into play. If weight wasn't an issue Id carry both my poncho and Jacket. If its going to be a lot of rain, the poncho wins every time. I like the jacket better for the around camp times. So its my Just in case garment.

Dogwood
05-14-2013, 20:06
....unfortunately the pack straps and contact along your back limit the flow of air along 50-60% of your surface.

Good pt. One in which I've sometimes thought of when choosing a pack and how I use(wear) my pack when wearing a rain jacket. Some packs have mesh panels or are designed to allow for greater air flow betwen backpack and your back. What I do sometimes when wearing a rain jacket in heavy rain when it's humid is more often take my pack fully off and open up my rain jacket more to temporarily vent. Of course, this means slowing down and stopping which decreases the pace and mileage which some are totally obsessed with and which can interrupt some hikers "flow". I also will undo my hip belt and just hike with all the wt on my shouders to help vent a little when its humid and i'm wearing a rain jacket. Heck, I'm doing that as an ULer more often than ever even when not raining just to cool down. WE are the thermostat. Be aware of it and adjust You'll find a greater range of comfort with rain jackets if you do.

Dogwood
05-14-2013, 20:11
Ever wear a plastic bag for rain protection? Especially when it's warm? I have. I can unequivocally state hiking rain jackets that are permeable yet WP are WAY better at transferring vapor than any non-permeable plastic. Look at the specs. Again, a rain jacket no matter how breathable is dependent upon its wearer for maximum vapor transfer or venting.