PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions in the White Mountains of New Hampshire

Old Hillwalker
05-14-2013, 06:46
Many people rail against the camping restrictions established by the US Forest Service in the Whites . Attached is a link that will shed some light on why these restrictions exist. The summer crowds of hikers would decimate the rather fragile alpine flora if they were allowed to pitch their tents willy nilly.

I have run into these groups many times over the 60 years I have been hiking here, and absolutely hate it.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?49027-Huge-group-hike-planned-Franconia-Ridge

Chaco Taco
05-14-2013, 07:28
Yep the limit of group size is 10. I would certainly hope that the organizer of the trip will know that the regs limit groups, but we also know what happens when we assume things with hikers. Note to self, do not hike Franconia within the week before and after memorial day.

DavidNH
05-14-2013, 08:16
A group of 100 plus people hiking in the Franconia's? This is just plain SICK! It is surely illegal and insensitive and rude in the extreme.

DavidNH
05-14-2013, 08:22
I just gave the article a read. After a climb up Lafayette they are all going to form small groups and rent condos have a party and such. These folks are going to spend 400+ dollars on the weekend. While 111 Plus have signed up, they all might not be climbing the mountain. Many may be just going for the condo and the Chinese fondue party. What I also find distasteful is rending a two room condo for nearly 400 bucks for just a couple nights. Even if only half of the group is going to climb Mt Lafayette, that still leaves 50+ people going up the mountain still way too many. I bet they are all city folk from Montreal.