PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike- Springer Mountain to Woody Gap

garnetgoggles08
05-14-2013, 09:18
Hello, everyone... as you can see, I am a new member and this is my first post. I've been reading around this forum and it seems very useful. Anyways, to the point...

I am planning on doing a small section hike from Springer Mountain to Woody Gap. I live about 4 hours away and I was hoping to knock this out Saturday and Sunday on a typical weekend... after researching that does not seem very feasible. I want to run my current plan past you guys to see what you think:

1. Get to Atlanta Thursday night and settled in at my buddy's place around 8 PM or 9 PM. Wake up as early as possible and drive to Woody Gap, drop off my buddy's car, then drive to Amicalola Falls State Park.

or

1. Reserve a spot at the Amicalola campground to tent camp Thursday night. This would require me to meet my buddy at Woody Gap parking area to drop his car off there, then head to Amicalola Falls State Park. I estimate that I would arrive at the campground about 10 PM or 11 PM (I'm not sure if this is feasible arriving that late at night- I haven't done much research on this campground yet).

2. Drive to the Amicalola Falls viewing area (arriving some time before noon depending on which option above I go with), enjoy the view of the falls and take some photos and then park my car there and start the hike from there (I believe this should knock off most of the Approach Trail).

3. Day 1- I plan to hike from the Amicalola Falls viewing area to the start of the AT and then to Hawk Mountain Shelter. I do plan on taking the short side hike to Long Creek Falls.

4. Day 2- Hike from Hawk Mountain Shelter to Gooch Mountain Shelter.

5. Day 3- Good Mountain Shelter to Woody Gap parking area. Go home.

I estimate that this trip would put me at about 8-10 miles the first day, 8 miles the second day, and 4 miles the third day. We are both 27 years old and in decent physical shape. He plays basketball and runs 5k's and 10k's occasionally and I exercise regularly (going through Insanity right now) and hike occasionally. We plan on taking turns carrying my pack because it's a large, comfortable pack and he does not own a decent pack.

What does everyone think about this hike? I read that for a beginner hiker, you should do less than 10 miles a day starting out for a multi-day hike. I want to make sure that I am not biting off more than I can chew, but I also want to make sure that I'm not planning this to where we are going to be arriving at our destination with half a day left to do nothing and be bored. I have also read that this section of the AT does not provide many scenic outlooks, so we probably won't be stopping a lot to soak in the views.

Also, can you camp anywhere that you want to along the trail? Or are you supposed to camp around the designated shelter areas? If I stay at the shelters both nights, will I still need to bring a tent? What are the shelters like inside and do would you guys predict us having any problems finding room in one of the shelters?

I apologize for the length of my post- this is my first multi-day hike or hike on the AT, so I want to make sure I make it the best experience that I can. I don't get to make these trips often. Thanks in advance for any info!

garnetgoggles08
05-14-2013, 09:19
Oh and would you guys recommend leaving a vehicle parked at Amicalola Falls and Woody Gap Fri-Sat nights? I want to make sure these are safe areas.

max patch
05-14-2013, 09:55
You have underestimated how long the approach trail is. The approach trail is 8.8 miles; starting at the top of falls (if you able to do so) only saves a mile or so. So day 1 would be 16.7 miles, day 2 7.7 miles, and day 3 4.3. miles.

Obviously, I would suggest you revise your planned itinerary.

Camp anywhere you want. Bring a tent even if planning to stay in the shelters.

Rent a pack at REI for the weekend.

AFSP is the the safest trailhead to park at in GA. I'd also leave a car at Woody with no worries.

As info, just in case you don't know, you can also leave a car 1 mile N of Springer in the forest service parking lot.

garnetgoggles08
05-14-2013, 10:25
You have underestimated how long the approach trail is. The approach trail is 8.8 miles; starting at the top of falls (if you able to do so) only saves a mile or so.

Thanks for the info!

This is the map that I was looking at for AFSP:

http://www.n-georgia.com/pdf/amicalola-falls-state-park-map.pdf

I was counting off the start of the trail from the entrance of the park, by the visitor center. Just eyeballing it, this appeared to be atleast 7+ miles from the park entrance to the "top of the falls" area where I was going to park. I assume that I am reading this map incorrectly. How do I access the parking area 1 mile N of Springer? Is that the only parking area that basically eliminates the approach trail?

bigcranky
05-14-2013, 11:24
You could do this in three days like so:

1: Start at top of falls, hike to Springer (7.6 miles) and continue to Stover Creek (2.8) for a total of 10.4.

2: Stover Creek to Justus Creek, 11.5 miles. The last half of this day will be tough.

3. Justus Creek to Woody Gap, 6.8

Overall this is a doable hike for starting out, though you'll find some decent climbs.

bigcranky
05-14-2013, 11:26
Ah, you are looking at the Springer parking area on FS 42, not the "top of the falls" parking area at the top of the steps inside the park, just a mile above the visitors center. That changes things considerably. If you start at the FS 42 lot, backtrack a mile to the top of Springer, then hike to Hawk, you're fine.

max patch
05-14-2013, 12:00
. How do I access the parking area 1 mile N of Springer?

From AFSP take 52 West (towards Elijay) for about 15 miles. Turn rite on Big Creek Rd (Dollar General Store at the intersection) for 12.5 miles. On your left you will see the Mt Pleasant Baptist Church; on your right is FS 42 (clearly marked). Take FS 42 6.5 miles to the parking lot. Springer is a 1 mile hike to your right. Tag Springer then turn around and hike N.

garnetgoggles08
05-14-2013, 12:48
Is the parking lot 1 mile N of Springer considered to be a safe place to leave a vehicle for two nights as well?

max patch
05-14-2013, 12:54
yes................

garnetgoggles08
05-14-2013, 13:45
The shelters have clean water supply correct?

bigcranky
05-14-2013, 14:26
The shelters have clean water supply correct?

Generally speaking, yes, though many (most?) hikers treat the water with a filter or chemical treatment. Also, in late summer they can dry to a trickle.

garnetgoggles08
05-14-2013, 14:34
Generally speaking, yes, though many (most?) hikers treat the water with a filter or chemical treatment. Also, in late summer they can dry to a trickle.

Would you recommend treating the water for this section hike? I am sure that I will need to refill at some point, being that it will be mid summer. I would like to go w/o water purification to save the $, but if there's a significant risk, I would definitely rather pay a little more now then end up having to pay even more in illness and medical bills.

tridavis
05-14-2013, 15:05
Just use 3 drops of bleach per liter of water. Give it 30 mins. and you will be fine. I used this method doing the same section 2 weeks ago and had no problems....aslo, all of the shelters had really good water sources...i.e. very clean.

slbirdnerd
05-14-2013, 15:35
I think you could really benefit from spending the $16 on The AT Guide: http://www.theatguide.com, especially if you plan to hike more of the AT at some point.

bigcranky
05-14-2013, 17:00
Would you recommend treating the water for this section hike? I am sure that I will need to refill at some point, being that it will be mid summer. I would like to go w/o water purification to save the $, but if there's a significant risk, I would definitely rather pay a little more now then end up having to pay even more in illness and medical bills.

Yeah, being out for 3 days means you'll be refilling several times. Figure at least 4 liters per person per day as a minimum, plus water for cooking.

There is a good spring at both Hawk Mountain and Gooch Mountain shelters. The water is probably fine -- but given the number of people hiking in the area, and the fact that you can't control and don't know where they've been, er, leaving their scat, I almost always err on the side of treating my water. Aqua Mira solution is $14 and will last for a long time -- a couple of years of occasional weekend hikes, anyway. I know there are some hikers who rarely or never treat their water, though, so you are free to make your own decision. The meds for giardia are not cheap in comparison....

MuddyWaters
05-14-2013, 19:25
Just my opinion.
The falls are the most impressive thing to see in that section. Id include them if at all possible, even if you dont hike the approach trail, swing by the park and hike up to the falls midway bridge.