PDA

View Full Version : Hostels in Europe

Rightfoot
05-14-2013, 10:07
A friend is considering a 2 month visit to Western Europe staying in hostels whenever possible. Would a light down quilt be better than a sleeping bag? Actually i don't know the answer, but are bed linens ever provided. Just starting the research.

Thanks

TD55
05-14-2013, 10:15
Linens are provided, but you have to judge each hostel when you get there. I carry a light weight summer bag and use a stuff sack stuffed with cloths for a pillow.

bigcranky
05-14-2013, 10:23
A silk mummy bag is very useful whether using their linens or your own bag. It would work well in conjunction with a quilt.

TD55
05-14-2013, 10:48
I got stuck on an 18 hour bus trip in winter and the heat bearly got the temp up to 55 degrees. Same on a 24 hour train trip, maybe a little warmer, but glad I had my bag, which fully unzipped is like a quilt. Tell your friend to bring something.

Flachenmann
05-14-2013, 14:29
My experience with European hostels is that they provided all the linens, but it would make sense to bring a bag just in case. All the hostels (in Germany/Austria/Netherlands/Belgium) I went to were very clean and professional but you never know about quality or cleanliness of the bed before you get one. It could be good to have a barrier just in case.