PDA

View Full Version : 50 Degree Down Bag

Rightfoot
05-14-2013, 13:10
Looking for recommendations for a 50 degree summer down bag to be used while staying in hostels in Europe this summer. Not interested in a quilt at this time. Any thoughts?

Regards...

bfayer
05-14-2013, 13:43
Montbell #5 UL SS.

Packs down to about nothing, weighs almost nothing and comfy as all get out.

It says its EU 40f bag, but its comfort rating is 50 and that is more realistic in my experience

I assume you are wanting a bag over a quilt because of hostel use?

Don H
05-14-2013, 14:36
+1 on the MB #5.

MuddyWaters
05-14-2013, 19:36
Or the montbell thermal sheet. 13.8 oz I think. 55F

daddytwosticks
05-15-2013, 07:25
Or the montbell thermal sheet. 13.8 oz I think. 55F This is what I use opened up as a quilt. Great summer option. Packs down to the size of a Nalgene (really). :)

Shovel69
07-22-2013, 11:30
Why would you use a down bag when you can use a cheap fleece bag? (Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious :) ) They may not pack down as well but they're about 15-20 dollars. (

Tuckahoe
07-22-2013, 12:00
If you're looking for something summer weight and inexpensive for use in a hostel, you might want to look into the Ozark Trails 32 degree down bag. You can find it on Walmarts website and priced about $70. Its rated to be 32 degree, but with 90% duck down and 10% featheds id suspect that its closer to a 40 degree or even 50 degree bag. Thats what has been reported by those on Backpacking Light and Hammock Forums by those that took a gamble on them. Last its appears the bags come in around 1.5lbs. You get what you pay for but im honestly intrigued.

HooKooDooKu
07-22-2013, 13:59
Why would you use a down bag when you can use a cheap fleece bag? (Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious :) ) They may not pack down as well but they're about 15-20 dollars. (
Size - Fleece just doesn't really have any compress ability.

So as a point of comparison, you can purchase a 55 degree fleece sleeping bag for $15 that stuffs to 6"x16"
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41895
or, you can purchase a 45 degree synthetic sleeping bag for $140 (clearance) that stuffs to 6"x8"
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42192

In this case, these two sleeping bags both weight about the same (1.5lbs).

[Edit]
Now that I look at the specs for the suggested MontBell UL #5, it looks like the Mountain Hardware UltraLamina 45 degree bag I referenced could make for a good option as well. With the clearance prices on MH's last year model bags, the MH is cheaper than the MB, yet they have similar temperature rating, weight, and stuff size.

kidchill
07-23-2013, 16:27
I don't have a bag rec for yah, but I was wondering what you'll be doing in Europe? I only ask 'cause I plan on hiking the Camino next year, but I'm always open to suggestions for new adventures.

Just Bill
07-23-2013, 17:08
As mentioned, Down can be a bit silly over 40 degrees. (the shell often weighs more than the fill at that point and there is so little down in there that it tends to slide around and leave you with cold spots) That said though- the Montbell bags are best bet around your temp. If only hostel hopping, or in a shelter in general- consider this- http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Reactor-Extreme-Thermolite/dp/B003BIT004 I own a liner to boost my bags, and get double duty out of it as a summer bag. This is often the gear I loan out too, since newbies can't hurt or damage it. A bit light for a windy shelter up high- but perfect temp for what you are doing. Lasts forever, easy to wash/care for, and much cheaper...up to you, but if you're committed to Down fill, I'd strongly suggest a 35 or 40 degree bag with a full zip- you'll get a lot more for your money and if you hang a foot out or leave the side open you'll be cool enough.

Tuckahoe
07-23-2013, 17:26
As mentioned, Down can be a bit silly over 40 degrees. (the shell often weighs more than the fill at that point and there is so little down in there that it tends to slide around and leave you with cold spots) That said though- the Montbell bags are best bet around your temp. If only hostel hopping, or in a shelter in general- consider this- http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Reactor-Extreme-Thermolite/dp/B003BIT004 I own a liner to boost my bags, and get double duty out of it as a summer bag. This is often the gear I loan out too, since newbies can't hurt or damage it. A bit light for a windy shelter up high- but perfect temp for what you are doing. Lasts forever, easy to wash/care for, and much cheaper...up to you, but if you're committed to Down fill, I'd strongly suggest a 35 or 40 degree bag with a full zip- you'll get a lot more for your money and if you hang a foot out or leave the side open you'll be cool enough.

Hey Bill, I'd like to hear more about your experiences with this liner. I've got a Deuter Dreamlite 500 bag that I bought a couple years ago on clearance. I have been considering a liner to extend its range, so that I can get into cooler temps below the Dreamlite's 50 degree range, and not have to drag out the 15 degree bag.

Just Bill
07-23-2013, 18:29
Relatively true to spec actually, +20 degrees is probably a safe statement. I do sleep warm, wear a hat, clothes and sleep socks- so I'd strongly suggest a few nights in the yard before you rely on it. I switched styles a while back- but my primary set up before was a 32 degree down for shoulder seasons- added the liner for colder trips- took only the liner in summer. I had a one pound or so down bag (a women's Phantom 32) so even adding the liner I stayed under 2 pounds down around 10-15 degrees. Good bang for your buck. Get it at REI or another friendly place and try it a few nights in the backyard- I went with the midrange model first and it didn't do it- left all the tags on and returned it for the heavier weight. It's a hair oversized for my taste when putting it in your bag (gets a bit bunchy), but the extra room is nice in the summer- so no complaints from me. IF ONLY FOR WINTER- I think you're better off buying and carrying something like a Cap 4 top or a puffy jacket- more versatility overall, but one bag plus one liner to (mostly) cover all four seasons made it a winner for me.