PDA

View Full Version : DIY Hipbelt Pocket Pattern??

diyguy
05-14-2013, 14:43
Hello everyone. I am in the process of making myself a new UL backpack and I want to create hipbelt pockets. Attached is a simple prototype that I plan to sew onto the hipbelt. These basic bags will work, I知 sure, but I was hoping for something that looked a little more professional and less homemade. Does anyone have any good patterns/plans for alternative designs? I知 looking to build something light, durable, and dirt/water resistant.

Thanks.

Brian

BuckeyeBill
05-14-2013, 16:12
You may want to post this in the home made gear section, But I think they look pretty good, just pop your corners out.

grayfox
05-14-2013, 16:41
My lightest daypack doesn't have a belt and I haven't felt the need for one. But when I first got it I did consider adding one. What I thought I would do was add belt loops, like on jeans, to the pack and then use a small belt pack, about 4x7 inches, by just threading its belt through the loops on the pack. I though I would want to access things as I walked but found that the pack is so light that I can just pull it to the front and get my water bottle out without stopping. Whatever you do, I am sure that it will be better than those frustrating little pockets that are on most packs these days!

Malto
05-14-2013, 17:19
Check out mountain Laurel Designs hip belt pockets. I love those and they would be easy to make. I made four bottle pouches for my pack and used the same material that my pack was made from. Looks like it can straight from MLD.

Maui Rhino
05-14-2013, 21:21
The DIY Tactical forum has lots of tutorials and tips on sewing pouches, packs, bags etc. I'm sure you will get some ideas there, although their gear usually does not fall in the UL crowd.

Dogwood
05-15-2013, 12:43
I made my own hip belt pockets in one evening for a GoLite Jam 2 pack. It's an easy DIY project if you can sew, have some material, and have the two way zips. I had no patterns or anything. I just looked at other add on hipbelt pockets made by gear companies, got ideas, and went to it. Mine were not sewn onto the hipbelt. I attached them by way of a two short pieces of elasticized webbing(bought at REI) I sewed onto the back of each hipbelt pocket and threading them onto the hipbelt. With the Jam 2 hipbelt design they ALWAYS stayed firmly in place with the elasticized webbing. I made them out of a super light wt Dyneema like the MLD ones. I trashed the pack couple of yrs later but the hipbelt pockets were still good to go. I saved them and later gave them away.

diyguy
05-15-2013, 14:17
Thanks for all the input folks. I ordered some waterproof zippers to play with and you have given me some good ideas to run with.