PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Trekker 4300 specs?

jberretta7
05-14-2013, 18:49
I've been looking all over for the weight of this pack and I cannot find it anywhere. Any place that does have reviews on it or whatever don't have the specs because it was discontinued years ago. I don't even remember the year I got this pack but it was somewhere between 00-03 if I had to guess. I just hiked Springer to Unicoi Gap and my pack killed me. I had to have started the trip out pushing 52lbs or so. I want to know the weight of this pack because I am for sure getting a new pack will be much better for my 5'9" 140lbs frame. I might be an Eagle Scout and a collegiate soccer player but I got rocked by the altitude (I live at sea level) and the pack weight on this hike. I'm talking bruised hips and strained muscles so bad I could hardly move the next morning. I know to some of you old timers that might be a regular feeling but I'm only 20 years old and shouldn't feel like that. I definitely need a gear revamp and I want to start with the pack but if I don't know the base weight of the thing then I'm shopping blind.

Any help at all is appreciated. And you can comment on how my pack was too heavy and all that but guess what, I already know that due to learning things the hard way so it's falling on deaf ears!

jberretta7
05-14-2013, 18:51
whoops..posted twice due to my impatient nature. can a mod delete this one please?

grayfox
05-15-2013, 09:05
Just a guess, but 4-5 lbs ballpark is usual for this type of pack. As they say, 'live and learn'. Surf around here a bit and you will find lots of ideas to lighten up your pack.

The first thing you should do though is to lay out all the stuff you packed and sort it out into three piles. First take all your ten essentials and first aid things and call them 'keepers'. Next take all the stuff you took but never used and put them back in your gear closet. Then repack the rest back in your pack along with the first group of items. I expect your pack will now be much lighter. At this point you can take yourself and your pack to an outfitter to get some help adjusting the pack correctly to your body. After you do this what follows is just a lifelong process of upgrading and lightening your gear--start with the heaviest and lastly, if you still feel the need, cut down the handle of your toothbrush. Good luck and have fun.

grayfox
05-15-2013, 09:18
Oh, yeah, I also meant to say that if you are serious about this weight thing, the first purchase you should make is a scale. It can be digital or just the simple kind with a dial, should be able to weigh up to 25lbs, and should not be to expensive. I would think you could find one for under $20 at walmart or target--whatever in your area. When you really get this process down to an obscession, then you might go to a scale that measures in grams, but that's for later. Guessing weights is almost impossible and seeing what something actually weighs will make it easer for you to leave it at home. Eventually, your 25lb scale should be able to weigh your whole pack ready to go!

atmilkman
05-15-2013, 09:20
I have a Kelty Trekker 4350 and it weighs 5.02 lbs. The older 4300's weighed 5lbs. 7oz.