PDA

View Full Version : Sleep pad for hammock and ground use.

Trebor66
05-14-2013, 21:11
I'm looking for a pad that would work for both ground use as well as in the hammock. I'm thinking of the Therm a Rest ProLite. Suggestions / comments please.

gunner76
05-14-2013, 21:25
Any pad that you can use in a hammock can be used on the ground.

bigcranky
05-14-2013, 21:46
Not sure I agree, gunner, I have a 1/8 inch closed cell foam pad that works fine in my hammock - but I sure don't want to try it in a shelter or even my tent :)

Trebor66, I have used my Prolite 4 in my hammock a few times, and it works fine. Don't inflate it all the way and it seems to work better. It's very comfortable on the ground, too.

Tinker
05-15-2013, 02:12
3/8" closed cell foam (available at Wal-Mart) works well for both. If you're going to use it both on the ground and in the hammock it might be a good idea to spray it with premethrin to minimize tick contact. Since I have a frameless pack, my pad (which I roll up and then insert into the pack, allowing it to expand and become a liner as well as a frame for the pack before tightly stuffing all my gear into it). It keeps cold things cooler in the summer and warm things warmer in the winter, too (as long as they're in the pack, obviously).

Deadeye
05-15-2013, 09:21
I use a Thermarest Prolite short pad in my hammock. Works fine, I let it self-inflate and don't add anything more. I also carry a half a z-rest pad (6 sections) as sit pad, door mat, extra insulation, back up for failed air mattress, protection for air mattress, etc., etc.

gunner76
05-15-2013, 11:38
Not sure I agree, gunner, I have a 1/8 inch closed cell foam pad that works fine in my hammock - but I sure don't want to try it in a shelter or even my tent trebor66 did not specify the conditions (cold/heat) that the pad would be used in, how thick would pad need to be to be comfortable with, just asked if a pad could be used in a hammock and on the ground. Nor did he state what kind of hammock that the pad would be used in, how big is he, ect. Deciding on the best pad to use under the various conditions one will be camping under is a different subject. Need to ask, are you car camping or backpacking. If car camping then weight size is not really an issue. If backpacking then weight and pack size is an issue. Over the years I have used a variety of pads that did the job but was never happy with due to pack size, cost and or durability. These days I only camp in hammock and use a UQ. When I did use a pad in a hammock I used the Wallyworld waffle pattern pad that was 24+ wide ( have not seen it for sale in a couple years now )

MDSection12
05-15-2013, 11:43
Go to HammockForums.Net for more hammock-specific info.

Trebor66
05-15-2013, 13:41
Sorry, I should of been more specific. The pad will be used for backpacking and with a ENO double nest hammock. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'6" and 240 lbs and 46 yoa. I'm not a fan of the ccf pads while on the ground, they just aren't comfy enough anymore. Maybe it would be wise to just use a cheap WallyWorld ccf pad in the hammock and also get a inflatable for ground use. I was just hoping I could kill two birds with one stone.....

pettas
05-15-2013, 13:49
As others have suggested, I'd go with the Thermarest Prolite. I've just come back from a short trip and I use the 20"x72" pad for the same reasons you've mentioned. I have the option of either being on the ground (or in a lean-to) or in my hammock. When in the hammock I let the pad self inflate and then add a puff or two more of air but that's it. So far, although I still have limited experience with the hammock, it's working for me. Hope it will for you as well.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time... Be well.

snapper

gunner76
05-15-2013, 19:45
Just beware that pads tend to slide around inside single layer hammocks like the ENO DN (its still a good hammock and I have and use one). While some have had great success with inflatable pads in hammocks, I have not. If you close to an REI you might try buying a pad from them to try and if does not work, you can take it back. I recommend testing your set up under controlled conditions like your backyard before you head out into the woods. Also you might attend a group hammock hang where you can see many different set ups and gear combinations.

Trebor66
05-15-2013, 20:16
Thanks for the advice Gunner. I do live close to a REI and will take your advice. Lucky for me they are having a sale starting this Friday so the timing is perfect. My intent is to upgrade to a WBBB 1.7 DBL in the near future. At that point my ENO will be "retired" to the backyard for afternoon naps......

kayak karl
05-15-2013, 20:35
just curious, why are you going to the ground?

Trebor66
05-15-2013, 21:13
Maybe the weather gets horrible and I decide to use a shelter. Maybe my son and I go car camping and we sleep in a tent. Who knows for sure, I just don't want to limit myself to a single way of doing things if there are other options available. Ive been hiking, backpacking, and camping for most of my life but I'm rather new to hammocking. I am simply trying to figure out the best way of doing things and make educated purchases.

gunner76
05-15-2013, 21:17
I use a 1.1 and a 1.7 dbl BB. Since they are double layer, they help to keep the pad shifting to a minimum. Of course these days I have gone to using UQs are they are much more comfortable than pads. Plus the double layers keep the skeeters from biting thru the fabric.
just curious, why are you going to the ground? as kayak karl asked, why do you plan to go to the ground ?

Trebor66
05-15-2013, 21:39
Please see my above post

Cave.Goose
05-16-2013, 08:27
A better option than the Walmart pads is a pad made by Wenzel. It's lighter, and it's wider than the Wally-world product.

My kid won one of these in Cub Scouts. My first thought was, "Groan...ANOTHER sleeping pad. How many do we need in this family!" Then I threw it into my GT Skeeter Beater to try it out--and my son has never seen it since. Because it's wider, it doesn't move around as much (any pad is going to move).

I later cut it down from a full-size pad to a 3/4 pad to reduce weight further. On the ground, I stick my pack under my feet. In the hammock, I put my feet on a stuff sack with a few clothes in it. I don't recall the exact specs, but we're talking less than 14oz.

The sell them off the shelf at Gander Mountain for around $12. Not a bad price to gamble with, but I would recommend testing anything in your backyard before hitting the trail with it.

Wise Old Owl
05-16-2013, 08:31
A few have suggested a closed cell from Walmart I have been to several recently and there were none to be had.

a second vote for prolite and check out the above post-good find Cave Goose!

Deadeye
05-16-2013, 08:56
just curious, why are you going to the ground?

Sometimes you just wanna flop down and go to sleep... in a field, on a bald, wherever. That's why I carry a pad instead of an underquilt - versatility.

Trebor66
05-16-2013, 14:23
I bought one of the blue pads at Wal Mart last night for a whopping $7.47 and this Friday Ill be headed to REI and pick up the ProLite.

Cave.Goose
05-16-2013, 16:45
Getting back to you on the Wenzel closed-foam cell pad. It measures 24" across. I have shortened mine to 50" long. I put it on a postal scale at work this afternoon, and it weighs in at 6.9 ounces. Ultralight and only $12!!! I'd check your local Gander Mountain.

Trebor66
05-16-2013, 18:38
Getting back to you on the Wenzel closed-foam cell pad. It measures 24" across. I have shortened mine to 50" long. I put it on a postal scale at work this afternoon, and it weighs in at 6.9 ounces. Ultralight and only $12!!! I'd check your local Gander Mountain.
Thanks Cave Goose, I'll be looking into that next time i'm near a Gander Mountain.