PDA

View Full Version : Is this deal too good to be true?? (Marmot Driclime Wind Jacket)

VinoNoir
05-14-2013, 21:41
I found one here: http://www.skiessentials.com/browse.cfm/outerwear/2,234.html?viewfrom=16&nbb=&nbp=&nba=&nbl=&nbw= for $58.

I want to get it, but it seems toooo good to be true. Anyone have any experience with this site?

Dogwood
05-14-2013, 21:54
The Marmot DriClime went through several versions. I bought mine like 4 yrs ago on an EMS clearance rack during winter for $19. It had a hood which I had a taylor remove and hem up the collar for an additional $5. So, this is not some too good to be true price. Never ordered from Ski Essentials though. They provided ph numbers and an email in your link so contact them. They seem legit though. How long do you think a bogus company advertising on the net catering to skiers could last before someone blew the whistle on them if they weren't legit? My Dri Clime rarely gets used anymore. It's a windshirt!

VinoNoir
05-14-2013, 22:05
The Marmot DriClime went through several versions. I bought mine like 4 yrs ago on an EMS clearance rack during winter for $19. It had a hood which I had a taylor remove and hem up the collar for an additional $5. So, this is not some too good to be true price. Never ordered from Ski Essentials though. They provided ph numbers and an email in your link so contact them. They seem legit though. How long do you think a bogus company advertising on the net catering to skiers could last before someone blew the whistle on them if they weren't legit? My Dri Clime rarely gets used anymore. It's a windshirt!

Well I bought it anyway. I read so much about its wicking and wind resistant properties that i thought it would be ideal to use with my midweight Merino longsleeve and my Patagoinia R1 as a shell to keep me isulated in case it gets cold on an upcoming trip to the 'Dacks in June.

It's a gamble but I thought I'd give it a try. Still experimenting with my lightweight clothing system. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Vino

Dogwood
05-15-2013, 12:29
I don't know why I typed that last sentence in BOLD letters but of course it's a great functional piece which I guess is why people continue to buy it and Marmot has had a good run with it. My comments were not meant to disparage the Marmot DriClime or keep you from purchasing it. It is VERY wind resistant. It bunches up to the size of a navel orange. Mine still looks like new after countless uses. Sounds like you got yourself a nice layering system for those conditions. Happy trails.

VinoNoir
05-16-2013, 21:51
Thanks for the insight, Dogwood.

And for the record, I bolded your comment as a point of reference for my reply.

jeffmeh
05-17-2013, 07:53
My son has one but opted for the Patagonia Houdini instead on his thru hike. He felt the insulation was redundant to the merino layers he had, and it saved more than 8 oz. It's still a good piece of gear.

Dogwood
05-17-2013, 13:06
I don't understand your comment Jeffmeh. The current version of the Marmot Dri Clime weighs about 9 oz in the lg. How can your son save 8 oz by going to the Patagonia Houdini? I know the Houdini CERTAINLY doesn't weigh 1 0z. The Dri Clime really isn't an insulating piece in the strictest definition either. It's a wind shirt/wind jacket that might work nicely over a merino torso piece for quick and light pursuits.

Gotta be careful when making comparisons or gearing up with the Dri Clime(or any piece of gear that's had a long run) because, as I started my first post, it has gone through various versions depending on model yr. Specs, features, avg, price, etc can and do change sometimes depending on version or model yr! The Dri Clime I bought several yrs ago which is an older version(about 5 yrs old) weighs about 5 oz when the wt in the same size is now up to about 9 oz. Mine doesn't have all the same features either. And, when I bought mine the avg price of a new Dri Clime retail was about $60. Now they are about 40-50 % MORE than that price and it's not all due to the cost of inflation either. All of this pts to necessarily inquiring about which yr's version you have because that can determine if the deal being offered is INDEED a deal. It also can determine exactly what you are and what you are not purchasing.