PDA

View Full Version : Car Logistics

Over40Pirate
05-14-2013, 23:42
My original plan to do a week-long hike this month has been curtailed due to life's vagaries, but I'm still going to do a 3-4 day hike in VA, probably either in or near SNP. I need to figure out somewhere secure to leave my car and a way to get back to it at the end of my hike. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

johnnybgood
05-15-2013, 00:15
There are any number of overnight loop hikes in SNP that won't require any logistics at all . The waterfalls in the park are spectacular this spring due to all the rain we've had and winter snow melt. White Oak Canyon/Cedar Run with the AT as the connecting link is a great loop hike with stream side tent sites.

johnnybgood
05-15-2013, 00:49
www.hikingupward.com (http://www.hikingupward.com) has hiking options in/near SNP with profile maps and descriptions with difficulty ratings. If you're thinking of doing strictly a linear hike using the AT, I'd suggest the Three Ridges hike beginning at Rockfish Gap heading south over the Three Ridges, ending along the Blue Ridge Parkway after 4 days. Park your car at the Inn at Afton which sits atop the hill at Rockfish Gap. Fill out a free waiver form at the registration desk, park in their lighted parking lot for four days. Another option is using the Mau-Har loop,(detailed in the website) as a return trip to your car ,thus no shuttle needed.

Over40Pirate
05-15-2013, 21:15
Thanks! Those both sound like good options. I am leaning towards a linear hike. It may be silly, but I'm generally opposed to going in circles: I like having a starting point and a destination.

Trail Ponderer
05-15-2013, 23:39
Check the Appalachian Trail Conservancy website for the shuttle list of people who shuttle for a fee and arrange a shuttle to meet you at your car and they drop you off at your starting point and you hike back to your car.
I have parked my car twice at the Inn of Afton and the Rockfish Gap visitor center on two occasions with no problem. I have also left my car at Skyland in SNP on two occassions for multiple days with no problems.
One option is to park car at the Inn of Afton and call the Dutch Haus B&B (540-377-2119) website dutchhaus.? for a shuttle back to B&B which is 40 miles south on AT and hike back to your car. I reccomend staying for a night at least. The food is wonderful and the owners are very good people. You may want to arrange a couple shuttles so you can return back to the B&B for a few more meals.:D Hope this helps.

Bearleg
05-16-2013, 10:16
i am doing a section hike starting 3 june and leaving my car in harpers ferry at the hostel. will split shuttle cost. shuttle to Front Royal, hiking north, about 50 miles, depending on your speed, 3-5 day hike. PM me for for information.