PDA

View Full Version : What I like to do that there are not many others that do them as well

Different Socks
05-15-2013, 01:29
What I like to do that there are not many others that do them as well

--see sunsets, rainbows, look at clouds, watch lightning storms
--people always ask me, “why?”

--Go kayaking on rivers or lakes of the area
--very few others in town have a kayak or canoe

--I go hiking for 16-20 miles each time I go somewhere, then race back to town to work the same day
--others want to do a short dayhike and have time to stay the whole weekend

--I use a telescope
--others see this as interesting BUT they don’t want to be out when they can be relaxing, or when it’s cold,

--I fly stunt kites
--how many grown 49 year old men do you know do that?

--I can find peace just by being out in the woods sitting by a stream watching the water flow by, listening to the wind in the trees, the call of birds
--others would be bored out of their minds

--I enjoy being out when the wildflowers are blooming
--people think that is weird for a 49 year old man

--I keep a hand written journal
--others think that is archaic

--I don’t smoke, drink little and don’t do drugs
--eliminates a lot of people to do things with

--I don’t think I should have to spend money just to be around people
--many others look at me as being cheap, women wouldn’t want to date a guy that is thrifty with his money

--I am not a boater, fishermen, sledder, or hunter
--too many people of this town are this type of hobbyist

--I am a person that would like to spend the rest of their life hiking long distance trails around the world

Is there something wrong with me?.

Mountain Mike
05-15-2013, 01:39
You are a freak. Welcome to the club!:):eek::welcome

rocketsocks
05-15-2013, 01:49
I love my eccentric life, and I'm never ever bored....ever! I suspect your not either.

Tinker
05-15-2013, 02:06
Being different may not always be better, but at least it's not predictably boring (as is the life of the "typical" Anerican comfort slave).

"Security from the womb to the tomb" is the mantra of the fearful.

A bit of so-called "risk" is good for the soul.

BostonBlue
05-15-2013, 03:42
Different Socks - Is this e-Harmony? :D Sounds like those ads: "I like sunsets and long walks on the beach."

Guess we could always start "e-Hiker!" :welcome

moytoy
05-15-2013, 04:12
All sounds pretty normal to me.

fredmugs
05-15-2013, 06:44
I can hike 20 miles a day AND listen to music while I'm doing it AND find peace in the woods.

Different Socks
05-15-2013, 09:35
Ha, ha, ha, ha ROTF.....Thanks people!! You made my day.

Another Kevin
05-15-2013, 09:53
You're in good company. I like all of the above except for big miles.

I also like ambitious engineering projects, which is a big part of why I don't do big miles. I'm a proud member of the American Chairborne Division, and never have time really to get in trail shape. Maybe when I retire I can up the mileage. (Getting to where I can count the years with my boots on... :eek:)

MDSection12
05-15-2013, 09:55
You forgot to add the part where you enjoy bragging about that stuff online...

T.S.Kobzol
05-15-2013, 10:13
I can pee much longer than young bucks and I won't startle any wildlife during the process

Teacher & Snacktime
05-15-2013, 11:10
I love my eccentric life, and I'm never ever bored....ever! I suspect your not either.

Eccentric...yeah, THAT'S the Ticket!

I can't say that I've ever done anything spectacular....just always over the top:

An egg hunt for easter? Sure, but use 1500 eggs, invite 50 kids and have it at the state park and include pinatas, games and refreshments.

Decorate for Halloween? Certainly....but take four weeks with the neighborhood kids filling up the 1/2 acre yard with 100+ jack-o-lanterns, several
hundred little ghosts hanging from trees, convert the swingset to a gallows with scarecrow bodies hanging, make life-size paper mache witches with
cauldrons, set us a cardboard headstone graveyard through which all must meander for their goodies, lace trees & shrubs with webs and giant spiders
pipe music all around, set up Cujo's dog house (our actual dog) with glowing eyes inside, and a blood-filled bowl and dismembered hand in front, ....and
the piece de resistance, have your son-in-law dig a grave throughout the evening...all this with the fog machine casting a delightfully eerie mist.

Christmas....how does a 17 foot tree sound?

Eccentric....yeah, I LIKE that term.

atraildreamer
05-15-2013, 11:23
You follow "The Road Less Traveled" (sounds like a good title for a book :-?). Don't let anyone tell you where to go, unless it written down in the guidebook! :D

trailchick
05-15-2013, 11:30
I like it...sounds kinda peaceful to me

Dogwood
05-15-2013, 11:51
This is the last time I'm going to tell you Different Socks. STOP taking my resume and passing it off as your own!

Deadeye
05-15-2013, 12:00
I can pee much longer than young bucks and I won't startle any wildlife during the process

Thank you for pointing out the benefits of an aging prostate!

Deadeye
05-15-2013, 12:00
Is there something wrong with me?.

You fit in here pretty well.

T.S.Kobzol
05-15-2013, 12:01
Thank You for pointing out the obvious. :-)

Thank you for pointing out the benefits of an aging prostate!

Teacher & Snacktime
05-15-2013, 14:45
You forgot to add the part where you enjoy bragging about that stuff online.......

Well, DUH.....there's no point in bragging offline! To Whom would you be bragging? Besides, it's maybe not bragging so much as searching for a kindred spirit...or shared insanity.

rocketsocks
05-15-2013, 15:41
Eccentric...yeah, THAT'S the Ticket!

I can't say that I've ever done anything spectacular....just always over the top:

An egg hunt for easter? Sure, but use 1500 eggs, invite 50 kids and have it at the state park and include pinatas, games and refreshments.

Decorate for Halloween? Certainly....but take four weeks with the neighborhood kids filling up the 1/2 acre yard with 100+ jack-o-lanterns, several
hundred little ghosts hanging from trees, convert the swingset to a gallows with scarecrow bodies hanging, make life-size paper mache witches with
cauldrons, set us a cardboard headstone graveyard through which all must meander for their goodies, lace trees & shrubs with webs and giant spiders
pipe music all around, set up Cujo's dog house (our actual dog) with glowing eyes inside, and a blood-filled bowl and dismembered hand in front, ....and
the piece de resistance, have your son-in-law dig a grave throughout the evening...all this with the fog machine casting a delightfully eerie mist.

Christmas....how does a 17 foot tree sound?

Eccentric....yeah, I LIKE that term.I like it!...one year I packed a pumpkin with fireworks and set it off throughout the night......remotely. It was very unsafe....and damn funny!

P.S. To all eggheads/out of rounders/eccentrics.....never stop thinking outside the box...that's where the fun is.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-15-2013, 16:18
The Christmas tree was one we cut down from a local forest (legally). It was 23 ft originally and it took all 7 of us to load it on top of an old Dodge Caravan. My husband fell and was run over in the process....a fine family memory. When we got home we had to cut off an additional 6 ft from the bottom to fit it into the door. Once in, it fit into the peaked ceiling with a full 8-9 inches to spare!

How does this relate to the AT? Perfectly of course. The Mom who did this is the Grandma who takes her grandson hiking the AT for a lesson in geography and Civil War History. Nothing excessive there!

So Different Socks, back to your original post: I think I do the "make memories for kids" a little better than most....but I'm just bragging.

Different Socks
05-15-2013, 18:02
This is the last time I'm going to tell you Different Socks. STOP taking my resume and passing it off as your own!

BWAH, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha......

Different Socks
05-15-2013, 18:07
You fit in here pretty well.

Thank you, it's good to know I fit in somewhere.

It's funny how poeple react to a 49 yr old guy that says, "Let's go see a sunset."
--th guys look at you like you're gay, the women look at you with a question of "okay, what do you really want to do?"

Different Socks
05-15-2013, 18:08

Well, DUH.....there's no point in bragging offline! To Whom would you be bragging? Besides, it's maybe not bragging so much as searching for a kindred spirit...or shared insanity.

"shared insanity"---I like that!

Different Socks
05-15-2013, 18:10
The Christmas tree was one we cut down from a local forest (legally). It was 23 ft originally and it took all 7 of us to load it on top of an old Dodge Caravan. My husband fell and was run over in the process....a fine family memory. When we got home we had to cut off an additional 6 ft from the bottom to fit it into the door. Once in, it fit into the peaked ceiling with a full 8-9 inches to spare!

How does this relate to the AT? Perfectly of course. The Mom who did this is the Grandma who takes her grandson hiking the AT for a lesson in geography and Civil War History. Nothing excessive there!

So Different Socks, back to your original post: I think I do the "make memories for kids" a little better than most....but I'm just bragging.

Keep on makin those memories, no matter how different they can and will possibly be.

LIhikers
05-16-2013, 00:44
We are not the crazy ones.
When my friends and extended family (my wife is just like I am) ask why I go to enjoy the outdoors, I tell them I'm in search of the beginning of the wind. That usually gets me a lot of blank stares and the questions stop.