PDA

View Full Version : Gossamer Gear vs Big Agnes

Frosty
07-11-2005, 19:56
Last Friday I ordered a pack (17 ounces) from Gossamer Gear and a sleeping pad (26 ounces) from Big Agnes. Gossamer Gear charged $5.75 for shipping and Big Agnes $10.44

Today I received my pack from Gossamer Gear and an email from Big Agnes telling me my my pad is being shipped and is scheduled for delivery on July 18.

Gossamer Gear wins!

Plus the Mariposa pack is awesome.

Sly
07-11-2005, 20:46
Gossamer Gear wins!

I met Glen on top of Forrester Pass (13,180) when his first G4 was a prototype and he was testing it out. I was really intriqued with the pack and Glen is a dynamite guy.

I try to buy the bulk of my gear from independant merchants like Glen, Ron (Sixmoondesigns), Brian (ULA) and others that hike, rather than bigger corporate type companies.

Footslogger
07-11-2005, 21:20
I try to buy the bulk of my gear from independant merchants like Glen, Ron (Sixmoondesigns), Brian (ULA) and others that hike, rather than bigger corporate type companies.====================================
Been doing the same over the past few years. Have dealt with all of the above, plus Henry Shire. I've notice a huge difference (improvement) in the level of customer service.

'Slogger

Sly
07-11-2005, 23:00
====================================
Been doing the same over the past few years. Have dealt with all of the above, plus Henry Shire. I've notice a huge difference (improvement) in the level of customer service.

Yeah, Henry's a good guy. Didn't mean to leave anyone out, and there's lots like Brawny, Tinman (antigravitygear), Ed Speer, Moonbow, the Packa Guy (Ed), and then there's my favorites, selling overstocks
The Underwear Guys! (http://www.theunderwearguys.com)

Yo Fiddlehead, who loves yeah! :banana

Cedar Tree
07-12-2005, 09:47
One of the biggest enjoyments I've received throughout this whole Packa process is meeting and working with the people in the cottage industry. We all help each other with contacts, weblinks, friendship and moral support. We even help unload and set up each other's booths sometimes at events like the Gathering and Trail Days. I've dealt with just about everybody mentioned in this thread, Jon (Moonbow), Glen (Gossimer), Brian (ULA), Ed (Speer Hammocks), Ron (Sixmoon), George (antigravity), and Fiddlehead (adventurelite), and they are all true hikers with great products, and they are all great guys. Kurt of Wanderlust was a tremendous help in the very beginning of Cedar Tree Industry providing sewing advice including his secret tips for working with silnylon. A couple of others not mentioned are Aaron of Brasslite and the Jacks of Jacksrbetter, awesome guys. Thanks to all.
Cedar Tree

Frosty
07-12-2005, 10:09
Yo, Cedar Tree!

That Packa you customized for me works SWELL! The extra length for the sleeves is just what I needed. A true luxury for a guy like me with gorilla arms.

Also like the way the Packa zips into a pocket for a self-contained package. I wrap it in a shirt and use it for a pillow.

Thanks again,
Frosty

Footslogger
07-12-2005, 10:58
At the risk of repeating my post of praise on an earlier thread ...I too want to say "Thanks Again" Eddie, for your support in customizing those Packas for the wife and me. I definitely should have mentioned your name in the list on my earlier post.

We've used them several times now and couldn't be more satisfied. We recently met a CDT hiker here in Wyoming along side the road (Merlin). He had his pack spread out and was eating lunch. Among the gear (yes, I always observe other what other hikers use) laying beside him was a Packa. I didn't even bring it up in conversation but I did make a mental note.

All the best ...

'Slogger