PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with arthritis

Cave.Goose
05-15-2013, 08:53
My "Hiker's knees" from my last backpacking trip (River-to-River Trail in Illinois) are still with me two months after my last trip. On Friday my doctor called to tell me I have the early stages of arthritis. I'm seeing a physical therapist tomorrow to start on a pain management plan.

I am worried and concerned over this this news and how it will effect my plans. I'm only 45. I'm currently saving money to thru-hike the AT in 10-years, when I'm 55. I feel like all those plans are going up in smoke and that I'm just going to have to resign myself to car camping and short weekend treks. If not for 3-kids & a mortgage, I'd hit the AT next March so that I could at least say I did it.

Has anyone on this forum thru-hiked with arthritic joints?

I just bought my first set of UL trekking poles, but I'm wondering what it'll do to my elbows.

Marta
05-15-2013, 09:13
Yes, I have arthritis in my knees. If what you have is normal osteoarthritis, exercise is good for it. The worst thing I can do is sit around all day.

Pain in the knees and feet is the taste of thru-hiking. :-)

squilax
05-15-2013, 09:31
FWIW, I picked up hiking again when I was 46. Have had arthritic knees, ankles and hips since an accident back in 1983. What Marta says is true - better to be moving than just sitting around.

I'm 59 now and have done all kinds of extended hikes out west and here in the east. A buddy and I will be doing the MD section this coming July from PA to Harpers Ferry.

I think if you stay active and don't let it stop you, you'll be doing that thru hike when you're 55!

Storm
05-15-2013, 09:31
Concur with Marta. Rheumatoid arthritis would be a totally different story. I was diagnosed over 20 years ago and am still hiking. I might be a little slower now though. I attempted a thru in 2012 and only made 288 miles do to severe back pain. Found out I had a bone spur on my spine. It is normal to have some knee and foot pain until you get your hiking legs. Just start out slow and build up. Good luck and keep on trucking.

Donde
05-15-2013, 10:06
My arthritis is in my UE's so it has not been much of a hiking issue. However just some general thoughts for you, use the affected joints, as much as you can, but smartly. Get with a good rehab team to get could mechanics and figure out a regimen you can do at home to maintain as much strength and range of motion as you can. There will be limits but, try to stay as close to them as you safely can. For me that and some heavy duty NSAIDs have let me maintain most of functionality.

BeingLinda
05-15-2013, 10:52
I was diagnosed with RA years ago...knees bother me the most. Aside from topical ointments & motrin based meds, my Ortho couldn't emphasize enough the importance of keeping the knees moving by cycling, walking, etc...Try not to let RA put a damper on your plans. Take that hike and rest as needed. All the best to you!

Cave.Goose
05-15-2013, 16:45
Yes, I have arthritis in my knees. If what you have is normal osteoarthritis, exercise is good for it. The worst thing I can do is sit around all day.

Pain in the knees and feet is the taste of thru-hiking. :-)

Yes, it's osteoarthritis. I mistyped my first post. I saw a physical therapist today, during my lunch hour. She says it's not bad. I have flat feet, which she says pulls my knees & hips the wrong way. She wants to me to improve my footwear with arch support & no barefootin' around the house (she likes that I normally wear Birkenstocks for casual footwear). She's given me some stretching & strength exercises. I'm going to do 4 weeks of therapy, and she recommends a yoga class.

Fortunately, I'm only about 10lbs overweight. So I'm not on a strict diet regiment.

It's encouraging to hear others are staying active with this. I've never been athletic, but I'm not a couch potato either.